Blackburn Mammoth Dual Stage MDS-1 Older Pumps

Mammoth Dual Stage MDS-1

Blackburn Mammoth Dual Stage MDS-1

Ryan   Racer [Apr 11, 2003]
Strength:

Oh my god this pumps some serious air! You can pump a mtn or road tire up in no time and easily with the T-handle and double stroke. High quality, alloy, t-handle, rebuildable, tight seals, and it's so big it can be used to fend off rabied dogs.

It's fairly bulky

I got this pump with a frame I bought and it rocks for pumping some serious air. It is bulky and doesn't fit into my Camelbak so I put it in my jersey pocket. Then I look like I have an antenna out of my back when I ride. Oh well. Sure beats having to walk home because I was unprepared for a flat tire or I used up all my CO2 cartridges. Over all, great pump. Get it if you don't mind a little bulk and you want something that will last a long time.

Similar Products Used: Zefal, Crank Bros. alloy, Silca, Topeak Master Blaster, and oodles of others
Kristian   Cross Country Rider [Sep 03, 2001]
Strength:

Great design and very robust.

None..

Excellent and compact pump and very powerfull for a mini pump.

Similar Products Used: Zefal, Sigma
Willis Drummond   Downhiller [Mar 01, 2003]
Strength:

Very solid. Still works like new after several seasons. Works with both presta and shraeder. You can buy kits with new seals and caps.

Maybe size, but fits perfectly in my camelpak. It may be a bit large when frame mounting it.

I've owned several other pumps that are all now broken. This has to be one of the best pumps out there. It isn't that heavy and its size works perfectly in my camelbak lobo. It works so well several of my friends went and got their own.
If something does ever happen, there are seal kits available at your LBS.

Similar Products Used: Topeak, Zefal. Zefal didn't even last a summer.
Guy   Weekend Warrior [Mar 05, 2001]
Strength:

Inflates like all get out.

Big, heavy

Get this pump. It can't be beat for 12 bucks. I'd actually buy two.

Similar Products Used: Mt. Zefal Double Mini-shot?
Al   Weekend Warrior [Nov 18, 1999]
Strength:

Really works, 100PSI easy, lifetime warranty

A little large

This is the first mini I could actually get over 100PSI out of. It pumps up about as fast or faster than my trusty old Zefal hp frame mount pump. Behind water bottle mount allows for carrying more water vs frame mount. Nice pump!

Similar Products Used: Old Zefal hp, Topeak Einstein
Greg R   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 02, 1999]
Strength:

Pumps up a tire faster than any other mini I have used...incredible

none yet

This is the best mini pump I have ever used...bar none...it is the only mini pump I have used that can actually pump to 130psi...and does it with ease...pumped up my road tire to 130psi in one minute...with ease! Run out and get one!

Similar Products Used: Blackburn AS1 airstic, Blakburn Mammoth, Nashbar pump, Blackburn shorty.
Col Pearson   Cross Country Rider [Mar 26, 2004]
Strength:

Pumps fast and pumps hard. Has little button to push to go from volume to high pressure

Wonder about the durability of the swivel locking on to the valve locking device but no problems yet.

Didn't want to pay the NZ$70 but damn glad I did. Was in XC orienteering event over two days in thorny country and it would have been a pain without this pump -- or a floor pump!! And I ain't carrying that! It's a little big but still fits on the bracket next to a drink bottle.

Similar Products Used: Top Peak something or other that took all day and even then the tyre wasn't hard
SteveS   Weekend Warrior [Mar 30, 2000]
Strength:

A mini pump that can really inflate a road tire

It is kind of chunky

This is a mountainbike size mini pump that can actually inflate a road tire to 100psi or more. It took me a little time to get the hang of how to use it, but once I did I found it to be excellent. Also, I broke my first one and Blackburn expressed me a new one in two days. Good customer service. If I were to have a complaint it is that this is a pretty chunky pump and I wish there was a bracket to attach it directly to the seattube as opposed to the offset water bottle mount position. All in all, an excellent pump.