Wellgo WPD M8 Older Pedals

• alloy clipless pedal
  • diecasting body,powder coated color
  • sealed and DU bushing bearing
  • Cr-mo axle

• User Reviews (8)

Ivan K   Weekend Warrior [Jul 02, 2003]
    Strength:

Very tough, firm grip, easy click-in/out (once you get it dialed), mounts for platform, sleek mounting to crank.

hard to mount/remove from crank, tricky to use at first, no spd/other compatibility. CANNOT FIND A PLACE TO BUY THE DAMN PLATFORMS. They make 2 kinds too!

These pedals work fine, I had some SPD's sent out from jenson when I built her 2 years ago and returned em in favor of the Wellgo. So far so good, cause i think everyone falls a lot when your learning clipless, its just how it goes. I would like to be able to run either reg shoes or my northwaves but i dont want to be takin the pedals on/off and strip my cranks, plus they are on there good! I contacted bikeman.com since they carry the new model, which comes with BOTH platforms for $70 but I remember paying a lot less. I may go for the CrankBro MalletC but $100 for pedals is a lot.

Similar Products Used: shimano spd, time, crank bro
    Gregory Stewart   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2002]
    Strength:

lightweight

tough to click into

I'm such a novice it's not funny, but I rely on these reviews for upgrades on my bike, and since I just replaced these with Weyless Magnesium "regular, old school platform type" I figured we better have at least one review for these.

I switched to regular pedals because I got sick of spending 1/3 of my day trying to find the right spot to click in. I've been skiing for over 10 years so I'm not new to bindings.

After I get used to just riding my bike, I'd like to try those Crankbrothers egg-beaters.

Maybe they just need adjusting, but I got too frustrated with them.

I repeat, I am a moron so don't listen to me.

Similar Products Used: none
    gregor   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2003]
    Strength:

they are cheap so you can throw them away without causing a substantial budget deficit.
    they also become very useful when you get tired of life and want to die on your bike!

CRAP! hard to clip in, almost impossible to get out of them. if you perform a jump or two being clipped in you will have to call your neighbours to help you get out of them! even when you loosen them to the very edge you will still have to twist your heel all around to get the slightest chance of unclipping.

they are a complete disaster. spent a whole weekend trying to adjust them, figured out it's impossible. what is more, they came incorrectly assembled on the bike: the right one on the left side and the left one on the right side!

Similar Products Used: VT, shimano
    Paul   Weekend Warrior [Sep 08, 2002]
    Strength:

They look great!

Absolute Crap, they never worked smoothly! Hard to find clip in point, hard to release. Extra cleats not readily available. Not spd compatable..so you need extra shoes if you have different pedals on another bike.

These pedals (to me) are junk. I was never able to use them from day one. Transferred the cleats to different shoes with no success. Tried shimming. Even shaved the soles just in case it was a clearance problem. Wound up complaining to my LBS and he laughed. He said I have a box of 'em already. So..for now I am using an old set of clip style pedals. Giving it a two just because they look expensive..LOL.

Similar Products Used: shimano 515, 324, ritchy and time
    Lauren Wise   Cross Country Rider [Mar 21, 2002]
    Strength:

Lightweight

Very hard to click into. Spring plate screws backed themselves out. Have to use non-standard cleat.

These came stock on my Diamondback XSL Pro. I took them off within a week...they were impossible to get into and I have been using clipless petals for 3 years or so. No matter how loose I got them I still had to find the perfect spot in order to get into them. That coupled with the lack of SPD cleat support made me change them out.

Clinton   Cross Country Rider [May 01, 2002]
    Strength:

Light weight

Snapped the first day I used them.

They were working beautifully, as I tried out my new bike until I couldn't get out. I twisted, but it was impossible. Eventually I twisted my heel to the point the casing broke sending the springs flying and leaving me crying. Talk about a let down.

Similar Products Used: none
    Brent   Weekend Warrior [Apr 23, 2002]
    Strength:

Hopefully someone will buy them from me

I fear these pedals. It seems to be possible to partially click into these pedals and be able to pull up hard and not unclip. However, all they do is bind if you move your heel outside, inside, anything. I'd sooner ride in clips.