Wellgo 96F Older Pedals

Wellgo 96F Pedals

Ruben Henriquez   cross-country rider [Sep 26, 1998]

Yo tengo unos , son estupendos, me cai como un tonto en dos oportunidades en los primeros meses, actualmente ni me doy cuenta que los uso , son una maravilla y en otras palabras me he acostumbrado a ellos, no tengo problemas con el sucio si estan bien engrasados. se los recomiendo y son mas economicos que un spd 747. si estos son mejores agamelo saber

Oz   cross-country rider [Jul 23, 1997]

These are my first pair of clipless pedals.I've been using them since Christmas. At first I had trouble clicking in, but now I wouldn't want to go without clipless. They're easy to get in and out of, they have plenty of float. I imagine that the other replicas ( coda, ritchey, scott ... ) work pretty similar. My LBS said that they have had as good service from them as 535's. The only thing I might try different next time is a pair of ATACs. They're supposed to be one of the best designs.

JIM   Cross Country Rider [Jun 08, 2000]
Strength:

LOW PRICE, NICE FINISH, EASY IN AND OUT

DIDN'T LAST VERY LONG, NOISY

BEFORE I BOUGHT THESE PEDALS I WAS USING TOECLIPS AND STRAPS. THE TOE CLIPS AND STRAPS WERE RELIABLE FOR 9 YEARS AND ALLOWED ME TO TRAIN ON MY BIKE AND USE IT TO CRUISE DOWN TO THE STORE WITHOUT CLEATS. I LIKED THE PERFORMANCE OF THE CLIPLESS PEDALS BUT THEY REQUIRED OILING EVERY RIDE TO KEEP THE CLEATS FROM SQUEAKING. I TRACKED THE SQUEAKING TO THE SCREWS WHICH HELD THE MECHANISM TO THE BODY WHICH BECAME LOOSE. I COULDN'T GET THEM TO STAY TIGHT. I EVEN TRIED RED LOCTITE ON THEM AND THEY STILL GOT LOOSE.

I BOUGHT A NEW MTB, PUT TIME ATACS ON IT AND PUT MY OLD TOE CLIPS AND STRAPS BACK ON THE FISHER. THE WELLGOS WERE GOOD FOR THE $25 THAT I PAID FOR THEM BUT THEY DON'T COMPARE TO THE ATACS.

Similar Products Used: TIME ATAC
Gary   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2001]
Strength:

Very durable. I have yet to disassemble them and grease them, no need to. After 3 years of use they still work fine.

96F's work a little better than the 96A's. Don't know why.
They look nice, work well and don't weigh alot. A little WD-40 on the springs before a ride, and an occasional cleaning is all that I have done for upkeep in over 2000 miles.I couldn't be happier with a set of pedals.

Similar Products Used: Wellgo 700's on my hardtail. 4+years of trouble-free use.
Wellgo 96A's on my road bike, just to piss the roadies off.
Silent BoB   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 22, 1999]
Strength:

Cheep ($20-$30)
It works like it should
Very clean threads
Servicible Bearing (see Below)

Grease (See below)
Stupid plastic bushing

Works well as a clipless pedal.The stock grease that they use in the is horrible (smells funny too). The grease shold be replaced with some better grase.The springs were greased with thisa nasty sticky grease that packed right up with sand and dirt and actually made it impossible to unclip. Get the greas out of there an replace it with white lightning. Still clogs up because of the stuff I ride it through Very thick sticky clay mud that we have tuns of up here. But this stuff makes ATAC's clog so I dont hold the pedal responsible.Good pedal for the mony after the matnence you must do on it to get it to work.P.S. If you want to service the bearing you can get the sheild off the bearing by taking a needle and rinning along the gruve along the outside edge you will fing that there is a metal retaing ring holding the shild on pry it out with the nedle and procede to remove the shield exposing the caged bearings wich sould make it much easer to clean.

Similar Products Used: Others on frends bikes
Dave Rahbany   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 23, 1999]
Strength:

None whatsoever!

Very difficult to clip-in, too easy to clip out, ugly, heavy for their size, will piss-off the rider to no end.

Do not consider purchasing these pedals, even for your worst enimy - nobody should be that cruel.NOT WORTH THE SINGLE FLAMING RAT RATING I GIVE IT!

Similar Products Used: Wellgo 800
Shimano 535, 747
Eric   racer [Oct 06, 1998]

I bought these pedals because they were cheap and so far think they have performed okay. Just okay though. I was using 535's before these and feel like I have to try really hard to find the entry point. But once I find it I can clip in okay. My first race with these was really muddy and I was actually clipping in while other people I talked to couldn't clip in at all. Have to be taken care of to work properly though. We'll see if they hold up.l

Doug   downhiller [Sep 04, 1998]

After reading the problems with the pedals, sounds like installation problems, maintenance problems or something like that. They should work just fine, they take a beating, and if you have some kind of a problem with clipping out, get bigger legs or file down the cleat. It's not a space ship, it's just a damned receptacle for your foot. Get a more elaborate pedal that has had finite element analysis done on it, if you can afford it, but you'll still get passed on the trail. Nothing wrong with them.

Stuart Winter   racer [Apr 30, 1998]

These pedals aren't that hot. The coloured coating began to chip of almost straight away. The bolts that hold the plates in place would not stay put, even with regular loctite applications. After just under a year, the right pedal stopped releasing outwards and the left became really sloppy.I'll admit that I bashed them on rocks and stuff on a regular basis, but the yellow coating would wear off from where I twist my shoe. I cleaned them on a regular basis, and lubed the springs etc. but eventulally no ammount of work would save them.I've since upgraded to a pair of Shimano 747s. The difference is immediately noticeable - well worth the extra $$$'s. I've had the 747's for 2 months now and I havent's touched them (as far as maintanence is concerned) and they still work better than the Wellgos ever did.For the money, they're not a bad pedal. But don't expect them to last too long.
Bonus tip: Buy the plain silver ones.

G   cross-country rider [May 01, 1998]

I got these a couple of years ago when my 737s go stolen, along with my bike. The price seemed right at the time. They are decent pedals on the whole, but there are now much better deals out there. For those on a budget, I recommend the Nashbars. Cheaper, made by the same company, and with the updated dual-tension release design. I just broke a spindle my girvin mag ti, so the 96Fs will have to go back on until I can replace with something better. Oh yeah, the 96Fs are pretty small, which hurts the feet unless you have very stiff shoes. Also, the entry and release is much harder than is preferable.