Wellgo 804 Older Pedals

Wellgo 804 Older Pedals

Wellgo 804

[Jul 08, 2001]
Matt

Strength:

Affordable, durable, good for persistent SPD-novices

Heavy, somewhat tough release & entry, less than grippy platform

I bought these for my Dad's FSR at Supergo and at the same time I bought a pair for my wife's hardtail. After my wife's first clipped-in crash, she switched to tennis shoes, and promptly demanded her old platform pedals back, complaining about the slippery cage and pressure points from the protruding SPD mechanisms.
Dad didn't complain -- and now burns up the Ojai backcountry (i.e. these things don't see mud) clipped in.
The second pair landed on my brother's old-school Bridgestone (with Flexstem!). I ride both bikes when on west coast, and in comparison with most other clipless designs I've ridden, both pair have remained rather stiff on exit/entry -- both with my Shimano shoes and Dad's Specializeds.
Bottom line: set the release tension low, keep 'em lubed and you'll do fine.

Shimano 535, 747, Ritchey WCS, Ritchey V-2, Ritchey LOgic Pro

[Jun 16, 2000]
Cary

Strength:

take a beating like an ugly stepchild. Good value

screws creeping out after 2 years, weighty if you are XC and not DH.

These were my first spd's. They clip in fine, except in mud and release ok. Need lube regularly to keep them smooth.

I'll be getting 747 next year. I've ridding them pretty hard for about 2 years. People usually don't ride pedals like this one for very long as they are entry level or for downhill. Downhillers usually don't last that long because they eventually get hurt pretty bad or get tired clawing their way up the hills. ;) Sorry.

So these are ok pushers and after putting my time in on them I deserve an upgrade. They'll be a hand-me-down for my wife.

none.

[Sep 06, 1999]
Stinkfoot

Strength:

Tough, cheap, clips in and out at will (almost)

Slippery platform

These are the first clipless pedals I've used and I'm hooked! They clip in and out easily most of the time, although I still take many slams because of waiting too long before trying to bail out. I like the platforms, they're great on technical sections when I need to dab. The only problem is that the platforms are really slippery if you are going fast over bumps or they are wet. I give these pedals 5 chilis for performance and price but subtract 1 for the slippery platforms.

Platforms of many types

[Aug 25, 1999]
Cary

Strength:

price, adjustable, performance

cage is a little bulky, weight. The bright red keeps causeing people to pull over when I pull up behind them. Also, they hurt if you land on them with your face.

Good performance for the money. If it's too heavy for you, lose a pound yourself.

clips.

[Jun 25, 1999]
Andrew Reynoldson

Strength:

Easy to clip in and out, still some grip when not clipped in properly.

Too uncomfortable for flat shoes.

Easy to clip in and out, work with Shimano cleats as well as the supplied ones.

Those single sided shimano spd's.

[May 31, 1999]
Kevin
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Great price, easy to get in and out of.

None yet.

Great for commuters; large platform makes traffic light stops a lot less hassle. Also seem to do well in muddy conditions. A great deal at $29 from Supergo. Used them right out of the box with no adjustments.

[May 22, 1999]
Rick
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Cheap
Large Platform

None as of yet

I just bought these pedals from Supergo for $29 and they work great; just making the switch to SPD it took time to get in, but I can get out very very easy; and have yet to fall. The large platform is great for cruising without SPD shoes; and did I mention they are cheap!! 5 chillis for now.

toe-clips

[May 06, 1999]
Adam
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Very good entry and releases
Does not jam in ANYTHING so long for TIME ATAC!!!!

hmmmmmmmmmm........ let me think...
ummmmm..... GRRRRRRRRR......
(*THINKING*) ....... dead..... brain....stupid question.....no......weaknesses

These pedals kick ass so go out and get them!!!! Oh by the way, could u get me a pie 2?

Some Shimano pedals.

[Oct 09, 1998]
Ron
weekend warrior

Wellgo 804 Pedals: I have used Wellgo 804's for about 6 weeks, my first
SPD Pedals.I had very little difficulty in learning to clip in-clip out
They are somewhat slippery when wet due to the low platform. Well worth the
price. I ride off road as well as road, due to a recent heart attack. My
doctors suggested biking however now they think I have gone overboard
with my enthusiasm.

[Oct 10, 1998]
steve
weekend warrior

these were my first clipless pedals and they are excellent. had them for about 4 months and they still clip in and out really well. be good if they had the teeth like 636s for when you're not clipped in, especially with hard soled shoes but for the money they are great.