VP 133 DH Older Pedals

VP 133 DH

Andrew   Cross Country Rider [Dec 29, 2001]
Strength:

Durable, inexpensive, they do the job

A little bit heavy, but that is only a minor gripe.

I would recommend these highly for beginners. They will give you time to get used using cleats while still having a normal sized pedal, also I have been using them for a long time now and bashed them against rocks more times than I can remember and they still work fine. More advanced riders might want a lighter pedal though.

Paul French   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2006]
Strength:

Looks ok, even though they're crap.

First set lasted only 8 weeks (1000 km) of on-road commuting. The exchanged pair lasted 12 months before they went the same way (pedal comes off spindle due to broken retaining ring).

Don't wate any money buying VP products because they are very poor value. There is an old saying that “you get what you pay for” but these are just garbage for the price.

Similar Products Used: Shimano PD-M424
BT   Weekend Warrior [Apr 29, 1999]
Strength:

Affordable, easy to use, and functional; no frills here.

Poor compatibility with non-VP cleats,
disproportionate tensioning, quick releasing on 3rd party cleats

This is an excellent price point pedal. VP allows the tight budget cyclists a taste of the Shimano 636. In fact, with stock cleats (lube them first), after a break-in period of 1 week, functioned superbly. The worst part though is that the VP does not like Shimano or Ritchey cleats. Its binder design is minimalist (compared to 636) thus, multi-release cleats often cause quick releasing during bunny hops or log skips. Ouch. Another quarrel I have is the spring tensioning. It feels too progressive and abrupt--one click & it switches from slack to considerably tight! Unlike the 636 which had a smooth transition with each tensioning click (of the hex adjuster that is). Also, with tighter tensioning, there is tendency for quick releasing still, and, it makes clipping in a chore. The VP is above average for price point. Since VP cleats are unobtainable in my locale, I can't vouch for its true performance on REAL VP multi-release cleats (VP makes them).
But when used with non-VP cleats, and its somewhat unrefined adjustability gives it average performance. Still, for $63 Cdn, I prefered VP over Wellgo and Ritchey clones! 3.5 stars.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 636
steve   Downhiller [Dec 07, 2000]
Strength:

price, function

vp multi release cleats don't work with thhese pedals.

Other reviewers wrote that these pedals don't accept Ritchey or Shimano cleats, but those are the only cleats I can use with my pedals. The VP cleats (multi release) simply do not work. The don't clip in easily and come out whenever they want to, even when just coasting on asphalt! When I use my Ritchey cleats, I haven't had any problem with coming unclipped in one year of hard riding. However, I just broke one of the clamping jaws when I hit a pipe that was on the side of the road with the bottom of the pedal. That shouldn't happen. No bearing problems. Anyway, I just bought a second pair of these pedals and will give them a 3 for the cleat interface crap and the broken jaw. No matter what the price, these thing shouldn't happen. Like the aesthetics, by the way.

Similar Products Used: all major clipless pedals.
Scott   Downhiller [May 22, 1999]
Strength:

Wide platform and grippy teeth for when you are not wearing your clipless shoes.

Bearings go out and no one can find replacment ones.

These pedels worked fine for 5 months then the bearing started going out in one of them. This resulted in a clicking sound on every downstroke. Drove me crazy. I took them apart and tried to get a replacement bearing from both my LBS and a bearing supply shop. Nobody could get one, it is a very small sealed bearing. I then took them to my LBS and had them warrentied for a set of Shimano 636's. After having both sets of pedels I like my 636's a lot better. The clipping/release action is much smoother and seems to be a little more positive. Also I like the looks of the 636's better as well.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 636, Wellgo 804
Jonny   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 1999]

Better than 636's due to price and 20 grams lighter, cool look, kinda batwingy, comes in 3 colours, good entry and release, look newer for longer.. Same as 636's inside just a slightly diff case and cleat.!!!!! come get some......

al   Cross Country Rider [Aug 14, 2005]
Strength:

replaceble face plates?

clips out so easy, all the time, you will hurt yourself... stops me constantly in middle of climbs, clips out when trying to balance with one knee out...

these pedals stink, dont get them... they clip out with little to no effort. I can pull up while pedaling and they'll clip out. I have them set up on the hardest level. Destroyed a pair of shoes, took a quarter inch off where the pedal touched the sole, cause the rubber was rubbing against the pedal, that only made it worst). Cliping in I have to stand up and put body weight into it to get it to clip in and it feels like theres pressure pushing your cleat out of the pedal, overall not worth 10$, you'll hurt yourself.

Similar Products Used: alot, like 15-20 high end to low end (shimano pd250$ to stock 5$ pedals) and every one was better than this horrid pair of garbage, way way better
Jonny   Weekend Warrior [Nov 28, 1999]

Well heres a relook at the vps.
The pop up spring has snapped twich, and no where can I find a replacment!!! Anyhow, I bent the only one to make it fit. The bearings are still going and I'm on the same cleats (time for new ones I think) they have ropped to 3 stars because I fell in love with the 545's. BTW.. the guy who wanted cleats! email me and I'll see what I can do.JOnny

Bob JOnes   Weekend Warrior [Aug 27, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap and easy to use

None so far although I think my cleats are starting to wear a bit.

Cheap, easy to use. Surprised that they are not more popular. Seem to do the job but I've never tried Shimanos yet so nothing really to compare with. Hammered them for a year and they are still perfect.

Simon Jackson   Cross Country Rider [Apr 17, 2002]
Strength:

Very sturdy, cage around the outside very useful, provides support for new user.

After 2 years of use, one of them fell apart on me. Just fell off the axle.

Good cheap pedal for beginners.

Similar Products Used: Now bought Shimano M515's. See how they go. Wonder if they will last 2 years!