Victor VP101 Pedal Older Pedals

Victor VP101 Pedal Older Pedals

Victor VP101

[Feb 19, 2003]
Ted

Strength:

Hay Todd Kasson I have some VP101 cleats(new). If you want them email me. I want $15.00. Theoted14@aol.com

I got them along with a bunch of components that I baught.

[May 19, 1998]
Toby Whitley
cross-country rider

I think these pedals are very good, they came with my Quake 5 and are the VP103s. Now I am used to them they are great step on step off, step on step off, hit something, pop out. I have found that when I lift the bike using the pedals I pop one foot out sometimes but this is because I twist my foot slightly. Solution stop twisting my foot also my brother tells me (and I think he's right (grudgingly)) that you can lift the hole bike using just the handle bars. The design is not mud proof but O.K.

[Jan 08, 1997]
Greg
weekend warrior

I've had my vp 101 for about 8 or 9 months now and they seem to work reasonably well. Not only are they easy to clip in and out of, they are afordable to. I have had no prob lems at all hith them.

[Jan 08, 2001]
clive

Strength:

tough and rustproof, who cares if they get dirty, oiled them once, were on a second hand bike from a lardarse racer who had them 2 years before!

float is minimal and adjustment imprecise

Not having clip ins before I do not have much to compare with, however with a little practice the clip in on route is second nature and I,ve never clipped out when I dont want to. A couple of horizontal track stands were experienced in the early days, but I expect to be using them for a year or two more at least!

[Nov 30, 2000]
Michael Restivo

Strength:

The VP101 Pedals are a really good pedal. The help you get out of the gate faster and you can clip in the things easy and they are really strong.

The 101's cleats get really worn down easy! DO NOT TAKE OUT THE TENSION SCREW. You can get it back in but its really hard. Took me two hours! And the springs dont give much play it's either hard or easy no medium.

The Bottom Line is if you want a cheaply priced pedal and good quality get the VP 101. If you have any questions email about the VP101s, I learned alot about them, the hard way.

Shimano 747

[Jul 17, 2000]
Joe Byrnes

Strength:

There was nothing good about the VP106 pedals.

They were the worst pedals I have ever used. They were hard to get into, and even harder to get out of.

The bottom line is these pedals suck. They are the worst pedals I have ever used. They are cheap, and fragil. I had only used them about a dozen times before I went to the 24 hours of Snowshoe, where they both ended up breaking on the first lap. Luckily I was able to borrow an old set of shimano's for the rest of the race. I have since replaced them with Shimano 747's. I am so glad to be rid of those damn things, and I would never use them again, if they were given to me.

Shimano 535, shimano 737, shimano 747, and some other Ritchy's.

[May 11, 2000]
John

Strength:

HA!!!! NONE!!!
Well, maybe a cool logo.. not really

Everything

These pedals came as a "free pedal upgrade" with the bike. So basically they were free... and I still feel like I wasted my money! There pedals suck. Getting in is an act of Congress, getting out an act of God. For the amount of money people have to pay for these things, they should be at least usable. The only thing I can use them for is scraping off any unwanted skin off my shins. I have fallen numerous times as I come to a stop and just can't get out.

I beleive these are the worst pedals ever made. Don't even think of riding them in the mud, up a hill, down a hill, or even on the road.

Buy yourself a set of Time ATAC and actually enjoy riding. It is worth the money. If nothing else than to save your body.

I can't rate these low enough.

515's
Time ATAC

[Dec 15, 1998]
Dave
cross-country rider

for the VP 103 that dont have a page yet:......
Got these OE on my FSR Extreme. Assumed theyd be a cheap n'cheesey copy of
the shimano 636. Actually rode them, and clipping in is near-telepathic! I
rode 535s for a year, ritcheys for 18 months, and on my second ride with
these I was clipping in faster and more consistently! I think that for these
DH style pedals, the tread of the shoe is critical to the performance of the
whole set up-if the tread is too deep the cleat will have a hard time finding
the clip. I wear Diadora Chilis (4 1/2 chilis), and these work perfectly
together.Cant comment on durability, but these are going onto my Litespeed in my next
XC race. I'll suffer an extra 300g weight if it means I clip in when I need
to. (4 chilis cos I havent had em long enough to test durability)

[Jun 23, 1998]
Alasdair Leng
weekend warrior

I have ridden with Clipless pedals for 18 months, first on Shimano 535's then on VP104's. The VP is the better and considerably cheaper pedal. That said I have bought a pair of VP beartrap pedals because I find that clipless pedals just do not release reliably although the VP's are no diffrent to the 535's. Don't buy clipless unless you race, never ride in mud or technical (dangerous) trails.

[May 11, 1998]
Greg Torrence
racer

These pedals are for people who like self-inflicted torture. If you like to clip out unexpectedly, or lose pieces of the pedal while you're riding, then buy these. I personally can't stand them!! First, the tension is different on each pedal. That means that one side will click out more easily than the other side. Second, there's 0 float. This is bad, and this is why you clip out unexpectedly. Third, I do trials riding (tricks), and on my left pedal, one side clicks in somewhat ok, but the other side releases me as if I was never clipped in!! I was pogo-hopping on my rear wheel, and I was clipped in on the looser side, and I immediately clicked out unexpectedly and fell. Also, on both of my pedals, I cranked the tension down 100%, and I noticed that when you're tightening these things, there's no stopping point for when you reach 100%. You hear a click, and they immediately go back to 0%. So if you tighten these things to 100%, and move the screw about one degree more, you're back at 0%. This is VERY unacceptable. Lastly, I was riding at my local trail, and I went over a mound of dirt, and when I cleared the mound, I heard a ding-ding-ding. I thought nothing of it at first, but then I noticed that I wasn't able to click in one one side of my right pedal. I looked at the pedal, and I noticed that on one side, the rear tab was completely sheared off!!! So here's my situation: I now have a set of VP-101's that on the right side, are half-way useable. On my left side, I have no idea when I'm going to click out. Mud kills these things, and they weigh too much!! I wasted 50 bucks, and I plan to get Shimano 747's. Don't do what I did and spend 50 bucks on a cheap pedal, then when they break, go spend more cash on better one's. Just get the better one's first, and in the long run, you will SAVE money and injuries.!!!