Shimano PD-M747 Older Pedals

Shimano PD-M747 Older Pedals

Shimano PD-M747

[Apr 01, 2018]
ArtUnlimited

Strength:

Near indestructible! I’ve been riding with these on four different bikes for about twenty years. Haven’t serviced or repaired them yet!

They don’t MAKE them any more! Also, they are SMALL, so if your shoe doesn’t have a stiff sole, you’ll have hot spots from the shoe bending around it. On the other hand, if your shoe is flexible, it’s a bad cycling shoe anyway.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
1997
[Jan 02, 2018]
Melinda
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

tough as a tank

I've had these pedals for 23 years and they are still working great! I first bought them for racing on the NORBA circuit back in the 90s, and put them through some serious abuse during race season. They continued to perform top notch after being moved around from bike to bike and terrain that varied from the desert in Moab, to the mud and rain in Seattle, to the sandy trails in Florida and now still going stronger than I am. This would be a good pedal for anyone who: wants a product to last 20+ years and still function great, rides in diverse terrain (mud, rain, sand, etc), may need to use for mountain and/or road bike.

Never needed any other pedals once I got these.

[Nov 27, 2016]
Bonkers1995/2012

Strength:

Longevity!!

In my case....None

+1 to keylin1994's review
The 1995 PD-M747 set of pedals I purchased for my 1st FS bike (Schwinn Homegrown Rotten Tomato Red) are the only pedals (clipless or platform) I have ever owned and ridden. They were ridden quite hard on multiple days each week for 6 yrs in the Sonoran Desert, Sedona Red Rocks and Flagstaff trails, 1 yr in the Colorado Front Range area and 1 yr in the Wyoming Rockies. The rest of their lives have been spent on much easier Midwest single track, bike paths and city streets. They've loosened up and needed attention a few times but are still functional along with the "original" SH-51 cleats that came with the pedals. Amazing! I have just recently purchased a set of "clone" 747's from VP Industries - VX Race in which the Shimano SPD cleats work but reviews state the VX cleats that come with the pedals possibly work better. ?? We'll see but I can guess I'll be using the 747's off and on as well.

None yet. VP Industries VX Race are on the way

[Oct 20, 2015]
keylin1994

Strength:

Everything. Easy to enter. Easy to release. Solid in between.

Shimano doesn't make them anymore

Anyone who has ever had a pair of these pedals will tell you the same thing. They are the best ever. For me...I will buy new pedals when someone makes a better pedal than the Shimano SPD747. I have had them for 20 years and they are as good today as the day I bought them.

[Dec 30, 2013]
Chris Williams

Strength:

Tough as hell. low/no Maintenance.

Absolutely bomb proof. Best pedals I've ever had. They have been on five bikes since the late 90's and the one constant between all of the bikes are these panels. They have been to hell and back, with ZERO maintenance, and they are still damn near flawless.

Other shimano pedals, time, candies

[Aug 17, 2013]
Dennis Daly

Strength:

They last forever and are tough as well

They don't make them any more

I am just getting a new Ibis Ripley 29er built and found in my tool box a brand new set of these baby's. Lucky me. Must have bought them as a backup set years ago and forgot about them. They are going on as soon as the bike is ready

[Dec 16, 2012]
shupack

Strength:

Bulletproof. Bought my set in '98 or '99, just tore them down for their FIRST rebuild, grease was still good. Very little contamination, right by the seal. Cleaned them up, re-greased and done. Took longer to get them open than the rest of the job.

Heavy-ish, but I'm OK with that for a part that's been through 5 different bikes. (last one smashed by moving company, pedals still good!

2nd best purchase I've ever made, right behind Lasik....

[Oct 18, 2010]
DEK2688

Strength:

Seemingly made in space out of unobtainium, absolutely bulletproof, rebuildable to the nth degree - newer PD-M545 axles & body plates fit!

Clumps up with goopey mud and schtuph, a tad weighty.

After ten years of off road use and losing a few grams of aluminum from being scraped over almost everything on the North Shore, I relegated these pedals to commuter service.

They've been commuter pedals for a little over 5 years, adding another 12K km or so on them. I did replace the driveside axle due to a fried axle cone & bearings (after 12 years), and have replaced all body plates due to wear from being clipped in/out of about three zillion times and smacked off thousands of rocks. I repacked them annually with Phil's. An absolute gem of a pedal all in all; easy to rebuild.

What other MTB component do you own that has been willfully abused but worked this well for this long? I'd bet not much if anything.

PD-M737, PD-M970, pre-SPD Deore XT I and II, Suntour beartraps - got the shin scars to boot.

[Jul 23, 2010]
SPYCHIC

Strength:

Durable
Easy entry/exit
Adjustable
Light (or lighter than most standard MTB pedals today)
Small but powerful
Serviceable

Small pedaling surface for un-clipped moments

Having a moment of silence for having recently experienced the last ride with these trail beasts. Went to hop over an obstacle and the left unclipped smashing my shin onto the crank. Did that a few more times down the trail and I knew it was time to say my goodbyes. They have taken logs, rocks, creek soakings, endos, and a general pounding from me the past 11 years. I looked into rebuilding and decided to just reinvest in the SPD 530 Sports, which feature one side flat and one clip in for cement trails. I am investigating which new SPD's come close to these in durability and performance (heard the 540's squeak) and have yet to know many that got this many years miles from their pedals. Loved them while they lasted! Well, actually it was only the left which failed finally - the right is still fine. Shimano, why change a good thing??

Shimano standard MTB pedals
Cruiser pedals
Classic Schwinn pedals

[Mar 22, 2010]
lebikerboy

Strength:

Last forever as long as you regrease the
bearing once in awhile.

When totally jammed full of dirt
don't release real well.

This is my second set which were on an old Kestrel
carbon road frame which was cracked and being junked.

too many to list.