Shimano PD-M636 Older Pedals

Shimano PD-M636

[Apr 07, 2017]
Tori Barker
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Love Them

I have not found one!!!

I love these petals but I lost the my bike shoes and clips in a move and I'm desperate to find a replacement clip for my new shoes. Anyone have any ideas what to do??? Please help!!!

[Jun 05, 2015]
KeithD
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Strong, durable

None yet

I had a pair of these on my GT LTS and when I bought my Giant DS Warp in 03 I had new M636's put on it. I am still hammering my Giant and have replaced virtually every component on the bike except these pedals. Recently I just put a new crankset & bottom bracket on my Giant and put these pedals on the new cranks. Mine are grey and black and although have some scrapes, still look good. If these ever fail me I do not know what I am going to do. The reviews on the newer models does not indicate they will last like these have.

I have clip less pedals from shimano but like these for tearing up cross country and some free ride action.

[Sep 03, 2011]
Mario Javier

Strength:

Reliability, Robust, Ease of entry and released

Heavy, don't work well in muddy condition. Required constant maintenance.

I bought this pedal for my Gary Fisher X0 back in 1997 and to this day the pedal still works flawlessly. I am now using this on my fixed gear single speed bike.
This pedal works well for me all through the years and I will not hesitate to buy a similar product again. I am not sure if the replacement model is just as reliable as this one, but I will see.
People that are new to clipless so start with this type of pedals. This is also good for a fixed gear but a bit heavy.

VP101

[Feb 11, 2002]
Chris

Strength:

Very solid pedal, adjust to tightly grab or just hold in cleat. Comes apart easily for cleaning and maintenance.
Takes hit after hit on rocks.

The paint chips and rubs off but what pedal with paint doesn't. It can be hard to clip in fast before hitting a hidden jump.

I'd recommend these pedals without hesitation. Be prepared to repaint them to keep them looking new. Use locktight on the allen key bolts if you plan on coming in contact with rough trails. Take them apart twice a year and greased them and stay clipped if you don't know what's arround the corner. They do unclip easely if need be.

[Oct 08, 2002]
Tobbe

Strength:

Disregard the weight penalty and these are simply the best pedals there are for serious MTB riding. Very easy to enter and exit, takes all forms of abuse and works in any condition.

Weight.

They are now called 646. Get a pair!

747, 535, Wellgo etc.

[Sep 06, 2001]
Shawn

awesome

[Aug 09, 2001]
Michael

Strength:

Easy to clip in and out
Easy to adjust tension
Large platform for foot

Weight

The 636 pedals have worked great so far, even in the mud. I like how the pedals are large enough for my foot to rest on while not clipped in when going through scary stuff. I'm still learning clipless, so this helps a lot. The large platform makes them quite heavy compared to other pedals on the market, but I think the added grams are well worth it. Since these are my first clipless pedals, I can't compare there function to anything else, but they work great for me. They clip in and out very easily and I have not killed myself trying. The first few times out I fell of coarse, but it was usually due to memory lapse while coming to a stop. This is a great pair of pedals definitely recommendeed for beginners.

These are my first clipless pedals

[Jul 11, 2001]
Clayton Holt

Strength:

Great pedals,I like the float,light weight,good quality on the pedals,the pedals look like they might last a couple years after 3700 miles in Two months and 10 days. the pedals are holding up good.As we have little mud in yuma I can't relate to being stuck in them.and unable to extracate myself,except once,and I believe that was due to excessive dust,on a dirt road,or a small rock.or worn out cleats. Set-up is simple and easy.though I had to carve up my shoes. In short I like them,my bike is a bit faster thanks to them.

The cost,of the pedals.the cost of replacement cleats,as the cleats wear out very fast. I didn,t like the shoe carving.The cleats sometimes release when it is undesirible. (hammering at +30MPH)Didn't get hurt though) got stuck in them once. All of these things I blame on the cheaply-badly,designed cleats,I love the pedals,but the cleats could be a lot better.and still be simple and light for the cost.Perhaps stainless,or billet cut steel harder,or ??

If you ride a lot,expect to buy cleats,I ride a lot 3-5hrs per day.So my opinion might be bias toward long-lasting stuff the cleats do not fall into this catagory.but I love the pedals,simple,strong,light,lotsa float,but the cleats kinda suck,especially when well worn. But I ride a lot so I live in my cycling shoes. BUY EM if you can afford $35.00 every couple months or so the proformance is worth it to me I just hate buying expensive cleats that don't hold up. And as I mentioned earlier worn cleats can be dangerious

AR carbon,wellego,and diffrent platforms.

[Apr 07, 1999]
Eric

Strength:

Large platform
Can be used with and without SPD shoes

None so far

This was my first clipless pedal; I got these because I was nervous about using SPD on an MTB, probably would have gotten ones with smaller platforms if I had to do it again, but it has come in handy a few times to be able to ride comfortably (more or less) with non-SPD shoes.

Shimano M515

[Mar 24, 1998]
Carsten Schmidt
weekend warrior

I bought these about a year ago for my first set of clips. They are heavy and big but they work great even in the mud. Best of all, I was able to ride after I forgot my shoes. I just got a pair of 747's. I'll give my review there after I had a chance to try them out.