Shimano PD-M323 Older Pedals

Shimano PD-M323

[May 23, 2000]
Brandon
Downhiller

Strength:

Easy to use, platform side

Mud tends to stick

These were the first SPD pedals I have ever used. I scored them on a deal online and wanted to use them until I got comfortable with clipless pedals, which I figured would be about a month. I liked that they are SPD on one side and platform on the other. Well its been over a year and I'm still using them with no problems. Now using clipless pedals is second nature and I'm sticking to the 323s until they break to upgrade. They're a great starter pedal that gives you room to grow.

[Jul 19, 1999]
Kyron

Strength:

First these are not my first spd's!!! I have them on an old Stumpjumper that has been retro-fitted for city and parenting dutys with a big basket in frnt and a Rhode Gear Limo baby seat on back. These ped's work great I dont have to put my goofy-lookin shoes to go to the park with Jr. and chillin at the beach is much better in sandells anyhow.

The only weakness with these ped's is you if your weak enough to make sissy excuess's

They rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have friends who have these on their trail / woods bikes and they love em'. I have 636's on my real bike

[Mar 19, 1998]
derek
cross-country rider

The best pedals on the market. It's nice to be able to wear street shoes
when I ride in unfamilar trails. I would recommened them to any one.Ther is one little downfall to them (this is not a prefect world????)
Locktite the screws when you frist buy them or have the bike shop you buy them from do it.

[Jul 23, 1997]
Richard Ingram
weekend warrior

Excellent - first try with clipless pedals, despite the dire warnings from the salesman & Shimano literature I found these to be easier and safer than the clips they replaced. They seem to always hang vertically with the clip side facing rearwards, so its easy to clip in by pushing forwards and down. For the bear-trap side, just flip over as you would to get in your old clips. There seems to be plenty of float, very few accidental releases even on lightest tension, and clipping in is always easy unless in a very low gear. Price was great (£35 sterling, including M cleats!). Only flaw (might be my pair only) is that the bearings are not as smooth as the Marin pedals they replaced, oh and I suppose the weight too - but that's fair enough for this dual purpose pedal. I would reccomend them to any beginners looking to go clipless.

[Apr 21, 1996]
Garry Lee
weekend warrior

This pedal with beartrap on one side and SPD on the other is really very handy. It means you can ride with whatever shoes you are wearing. You can also commute on your traiing bike. I like them so much I have them on 3 bikes. You actually, with experience will get the right side you want without thinking about it. I would not recommend them for racing as you might be a bit slow in engaging.

[May 16, 1998]
Rob Hyde
weekend warrior

These pedals are a great buy. The spd/regular pedal is a great convienence for thos who like to ride trail and also go for a casual ride to the store. I have used them on several trails in MD and FL (Markham Park rules!) and have no complaints!! The price is a big bonus, usually they can be found for less then $50.00.

[Oct 21, 1997]
Brian Serl
weekend warrior

Work great. A little rough on the shins it you bump the teeth. They are easy to get in and out of. Work great in tough technical sections where you can unclip and flip them over when things get a little iffy. It is also nice to be able to ride without having to put my SPD shoes on. Great for first time SPD users. On thing you should do is take off the screws and locktite them. A few of mine came fell out.They work better than I thought they would.

[May 15, 2001]
Stampertje Wijngaarden

Strength:

Flexibility - cleated one side, platform the other

Screws come loose, loose grip on cleat

This is a great concept for commuter or all-round bikes: the flexibility of platforms and the performance of cleats.
Get them if you don't want to be clipped in all the time.

I only have two minor gripes with these pedals:
1) the screws holding the cleat plate to the pedal keep coming loose. I've finally locked them down with locktite and that seems to work. I lost one of the screws, but Shimano sent me replacements, no charge.
2) even with the screws bonded down, there is some engagement click when you pull on the pedals. I find this slightly uncomfortable.

Two more points: I believe I saw a "platform" somewhere that could be clipped on to any spd pedal. Anybody else heard of these? And: not only do Spokes in Wheaton rip you off, their service is crap. Avoid this place.

Look style pedals

[May 31, 2001]
YR

Strength:

Easy out, platform for going around the block and for those
super-scarry downhills. Learning curve for beginers (like I am) is super-fast. Platform side once you are totaly stuffed in mud.

Not so easy to get in. Tend to popout when bunny hopping
(even with tight setting)

I bought these for the following reasons:
1. An entry level SPD
2. For using the platform side when going around the block
or when carrying my 4 years old daughter.
3. Revies here were very positive.

My LBS guy told me not to get them since "you go SPD or not". He was right, I never used them on the platform side
(with the excetion of when mud did me in).
I felt very safe on them even when taking my child with me.
On the other hand having a one sided SPD meant it takes
some time to get in and I ended up always looking to see
which side I am trying to mount. I put one of the supplied
reflectors to make one side heavier so the SPD side will always face the rear of the bike - it helpd a bit but I still have problem mounting which I found had to do with the shoe tread hitting the platform when I push dow to rotate the pedal to horizontal positoin for mounting. It almost always took several retrys to get in. I recently changed to Nashbar which are great.

Nashbar, Ritchy

[Aug 06, 1998]
G
cross-country rider

These were my first clipless peddles. I bought these thinking they'd be great to learn on, considering most people seem to have had a hard time getting used to em'. Unfortunitly, I hopped on, and could ride just fine. It's been 6 months now and I STILL havent had a fall created by not clipping out or whatever.
So now I have these OK peddles that have to be flipped over all the time to get clipped in. I've also lost a screw, they squeak even after a good lubing, and get a little rusty.
But if your not nicly intune with your body, or you motor skills are just a little mushy, I would say there pretty good.