Ritchey W.C.S. Pedal Older Pedals

Ritchey W.C.S. Pedal Older Pedals

Ritchey Logic WCS Pedals

[Nov 28, 2001]
Will

Strength:

Better than the Cro-Mo version. Same weight but Ti does have durability advantages. It does make some creaking and I hate that. It can become very annoying on quiet trails and where concentration is a must. No real problems with clipping in or out, but I am highly suspicious that there are better entry and exit pedals alive.

The price for this is ridiculous. Don't buy them unless your a weight weinny and even then it's still not worth your money unless your spoonfed.

Don't buy them unless you have some kind of fetish for titanium. There are some advantages of it being Titanium, it's stiffer (i believe). I feel downright scared in the Cro-Mo version because operation can be sketchy and freightening without accidental lock-ins. Don't take them to North Star, you might see my flesh on Sticks and Stones and add yours to my pile. Bottom line, not worth your cash.

Shiamo, 535, 737. Scott. Ritchey Cro-Mo version of this.

[Jul 08, 2001]
Matt

Strength:

Light weight (Ti axle 310g), excellent release.

Durability. LOts of axle play and increasingly random release.

Bought these pedals in 95. Not cheap then, but they were ridden hard in German mud, rain, snow and a lot of Euro MTB marathons (on my old Litespeed Obed - I miss that frame!).
The first problem I noticed was ever-increasing axle play. This is due to the (stupid) inboard bushing design of the pedal -- a design the newer Comp pedal also suffers from.
The second problem was the growing unpredictableness of their release. Like other reviewers, I had to keep cranking up the tension setting to keep my foot in while honking back on the pedal on steep climbs.
Early last year, the pedals started to release at diagonal angles while airborne, and had developed about 1mm of vertical play between axle and bushing, so I retired 'em. Ever since I have been on the prowl for pedals that work as well as these did those first 4 years.
THe new Ritchey release mechanism is a nightmare (only releases when it _doesn't_ matter. Shimano 858's have problems, Times are a bunch of bloated pigs (you shouldn't be allowed to call something that weighs over 400g "carbon")!
Is there no salvation in sight?
4 stars for value and 5 for a reasonable period of strong performance, because there doesn't seem to be anything better out there!

Ritchey V2 comp (major disimprovement over old design)! Shimano 535, 747, Wellgo 804, ONZA HO (worst pedal of all time)!

[Mar 23, 1998]
Mike
cross-country rider

These pedals are terrible!! They worked good for the first week. Way too easy to get out and impossible to get in. Sent them back because of entry problem and was told it was from excessive wear, the pedals were 4 months old!! They get harder to get in the longer you ride, I carried lube with me during rides just for the pedals.

[Mar 12, 1998]
bald fat old guy
weekend warrior

i've been ridin the wcs' since sept 95. they're outstanding! tried many others with no success.they had no float, too hard to enter/exit.
the wcs' have had only one problem...they need frequent spindle lubrication, or they squeal like a pig.other than that i've been very satisfied. boeshield T-9 works great on the springs and plates.
remember TREAD LIGHTLY, PRESERVE!

[Sep 10, 2000]
jochen

Strength:

lightweight (especially when u loose 'em)

crappy, snap ring cannot fix it

on the second ride the pedal went off the axis, still fixed on my shoes, the snap ring that ought to fix it was somewhere in the botany, nice to ride home that way.... ;-(

changed it for 747 immediately, and i will stay with those (or maybe get me some 858´s)

[Nov 05, 1997]
John Pentecost
cross-country rider

These pedals are nothing fancy, but they sure get the job done. I have them on all three of my bikes (two sets of the old style and one set of the new ones) and have never had to do anything to them other than routine maintenence. The oldest pair that I own is going on 4 years old and still no major progblems to report. I've also found no compatibility problems between the new pedals and the old cleats and vice-versa.
No reason to complain here . . . 5 chilis

[Nov 05, 1997]
Louis Dupont
cross-country rider

The pedals have a good mud clerance, entry and exit and they are pretty light for their cost but I noticed a few problems after one season. First, one axle was squezing but I resolved the problem and I also broked one plate...two months and and I still wait for a replacement one(They said it should arrive till chistmas.

[Dec 28, 1996]
Love2MTB
weekend warrior

Three things. 1:They RULE 2:They only cost $80 and they still RULE 3:Only b*tch, long break-in period, but they still RULE

[Jun 03, 2001]
Bart

Strength:

Light weight, good bearings, stable platform

None yet

These are great pedals...very light weight yet durable and they look good. They provide a nice wide platform that allow you to pedal when not fully clipped in on steep uphill starts. I've been using them about a 1.5 years and the bearings are still silky smooth. I did have to trim my shoes a bit to allow for easy engagement. I lost the end cap on one pedal and contacted Ritchy via email and had a replacement endcap in three days...excellent customer service. I recommend these pedals, even at full price.

I love these pedals, I would marry them if I could but I am already legally married to my Rocky Mountain Element. I'm considering moving to Utah and converting to Mormanism so that I can marry several of my bike parts!

Shimano

[Feb 25, 2001]
Will

Strength:

Super light, small to avoid rocks etc.

Dirt gets caught easily

Great pedals. They help lower the overall weight. However, if you race you might want to consider a different pedal in wet and muddy conditions because dirt clumps in the clip and you can't get clipped in. Or just don't get off your bike (maybe I need to improve my skills).