Performance MC4 Pedal Older Pedals

Performance MC4

[Mar 19, 1998]
BTarver
racer

I have never read so much whining in one forum. Oh my goodness! Of course, there are better pedals on the market, but for the money you can't beat these. I have put these things through the ringer in the mountains around Phoenix. Uh, I think there's like dust and sand and big rocks and stuff. They work fine. Maybe you guys ought to service your equipment now and again. Have never had a problem with them. I had one, but it was my fault and quickly fixed it. Take it from an old roadie that loves the dirt, even the pricey Shimanos will fail you if you don't service them. Stop whining!

[Mar 24, 1998]
Nigel Pickard
weekend warrior

I bought the MC4 pedals a two or three years ago -and to be honest, I've been very pleased with them. I've done approximately four thousand miles on them. I've found the release and entry to be very consistent, with the exception of mud -this kills these pedals (and if you don't expect it, will perhaps maim you for life). However, to be on the fair side, I also have a pair of Shimano 747s, and they act almost as badly in the same in muddy conditions. Incidentally, from my experience with both of these pedals, I'd say either the MC4 is vastly underrated or the 747 is vastly overrated. I do like the MC4s bigger platform, and adjustment is very easy. I have never had any problems with the retaining screws or design of the pedal. In retrospect, I would never have bought the 747s at almost twice the price as they certainly do not deliver twice the performance. But my review is not a comparison......I now have these pedals on my commuter bike (the 747s grace my offroad bike based purely on their slightly better mud performance). I've kept an eye on them -cleaning and lubricating when necessary -and expect them to last well into the future. I'd give them four stars for performance, but downgrade it to three based purely on the $50-$60 price I bought them at -for comparison you can now buy Bike Nashbar pedals at less than $40, and those pedals by the posted reviews are apparently pretty good.

[Jul 17, 1997]
Greg
racer

This is definitely not a pedal for off roading. But for road or commuter use this is a good pedal for a great price. I've had mine for about 2 years and have logged 3000+ miles on them and still use the original cleats with no problems whatsoever.

[Apr 18, 1996]
Dan Fitek
cross-country rider

I am happy with my pedals, they really take a beating:smashing on rocks, submerged in water, etc. The only problem is when they get sand and mud in them, they get sticky and you fall on your side when you try to exit the pedals. That's a lot of fun.

[Apr 24, 1996]
Kale Buonerba
weekend warrior

I'm sorry, but these pedals(MC4) kinda blow. I've just returned my second pair, and exchanged them for Shimano 747's, knowing I will finally get pedals that work well ALL the time. In normal conditions, the MC4 worked fine, but once there was a trace of mud all hell broke loose. It became impossible to get out, which caused me many muddy sides. If you ride in mostly dry conditions, this pedal will work just fine, but don't think about mud, because you'll be wearing it.

[Oct 16, 1997]
Victim of cheap shit
downhiller

First off these are made by wellgo as about 90% of all clipless pedals on the market are. Shimano is the only other company that makes pedals and they only market thier own. These pedals are dick. They really are clipless as I have broken off 3 of the 4 toe hooks and they have to be new and straight out of the box in order to work. Mud kills them and the Float is really a large slop zone. If you are thinking about new pedals buy something better.

[Apr 01, 2000]
Will

Strength:

Damn cheap.

Where to begin?

Take it from someone who has managed a Performance bike shop, almost anything that has the word "Performance" written on it is going to be crap. You can even make a quality product crap by writing that word on it. The MC4s were made by Wellgo as is nearly every other pedal, including Richey. Just rely on their exchange policy if you want to buy their house brand products.

Time, Shimano.

[Aug 22, 1998]
Todd L.
cross-country rider

These were my first clipless pedals, just like a lot of other people here. Yes, they do suck in the mud or when they get gunked up, but we all knew that about SPDs, whether Shimano or clones. Save the occasional unintentional release, these were really pretty good pedals when kept lubed and the tennsion set right. Better things have come along, but these beat toe clips hands down.

[Jun 27, 1998]
John
cross-country rider

I used these pedals for a couple seasons and agree with others - they are OK in nice conditions, but get into mud and then you have serious release problems. Have used Time ATACs for some time, and the Time's have no problems with mud. For the conditions I usually ride in, mud that is, I cannot at all recommend the MC4s.

[Mar 14, 1998]
Scott
racer

Don't, I repeat, Don't get the performance mc-7s. There is a small amount of aluminum holding the tension bolt inplace. If you touch anything with the front of this pedal, it is toast. Yes, its cheap, but it's lifespan is also very short. Its supposed to be a mountain bike pedal, so you think they would've designed it with this in mind.