Performance MC-7 ATB pedals Older Pedals

MC-7 ATB pedals

Performance MC-7 ATB pedals

BigLarry   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2002]
Strength:

Low cost, easy to get out of with small angle float, easy to clean with hose after every ride

broken metal tabs, sometimes hard to get clipped in, especially when dirty or muddy. For safety, I adjusted them to very loose - they worked great even in highly technical riding (lots of rocks and big logs).

I used these pedals for 7 years, and replaced them a couple times (once under warrantee, again at 4 years) when I broke off the tabs. But I ride very often and very hard and I'm 240+ lbs.
I ride in so much mud so often (3X/week) that my back yard raised up an inch from all the bike washings. I'd take a couple inch mud coat off the whole bike. I had problems unclipping when the mud got on the pedals and dried into cement. I ended up using 1/3 of a water bottle each time I dabbed in the mud to clean the cleats and it helped. I also was jamming my chain with severe chain suck with all the mud. But the chain suck and pedal binding were both solved with White Lightning lubricant. Once I started using it on my chain and pedals, my chains lasted 2 years instead of 3 months. All the dried mud just dropped off the cleats and pedals!!! (But I still didn't leave clumps of wet mud on the cleats when riding. I stomped off the bulk and then quickly squirted right on the cleats with the water bottle.)
So these pedals worked fine with proper technique. I give them only 4 chillies due to the lack of high strength (but I do use them very hard).

Similar Products Used: No other clipless pedals
Flip   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 04, 1999]
Strength:

affordable

only 4 deg float

These are the first clipless pedals I've ever tried. I bought these and a pair of Specialized Team Comp shoes. I know that the more float you have the better but for 33 bucks these were hard to pass up. I didn't have too much trouble clipping in and out of them even in muddy conditions. I do have a tendency to unclip when I don't want too though. There are two awesome things that clipless pedals give you that outweigh my complaints though. I can bunny hop like there is no tomorrow and I can power my way up steep inclines like a mountain goat. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Similar Products Used: first time I've ever tried clipless
Nick Fenton   Racer [Aug 07, 1999]
Strength:

Price, ease of use, great first time pedals,easy to maintane

Tiny bit heavy,READ THIS*****************************I****KNOW**AN ****EASY FIX *******FOR ********RUST***********

A great pedal, easer in and out than LX pedals (5-5 something)Awsome in mud I couldn't belive it but watch out for snow! If your a first timer Buy these master them then in another three years buy some $49.99 Ritchys. Oh yeah the mc-7 are indo structable- read my in Shoes/Nike Inyo- that crash almost totaled the bike but the pedals just got crammed with mud Go ahaid E-mail me!

Similar Products Used: Ritchy CompV2
Ben   Weekend Warrior [Aug 01, 1999]
Strength:

Price

None Yet

My first clipless pedals. I haven't hit the trails yet but my commutes to work have been great. I have only one long steep hill to tackle on my way home and I love the extra power that I have been missing while using toe clips.For only $25 I can't complain. 5 Stars for the price

Robb Robison   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2001]
Strength:

Works well for the beginner like me, only took a couple of tries to learn. The pedals somtimes don't "click" as loud as I would like but this is very minor.

none so far

Good product for the beginnner, easy to learn and cheap if you decided to go back to regular pedals. Look good in silver and so far seem very well constructed!

Similar Products Used: First time clipless user
Connor   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2001]
Strength:

Price, durability, maintenance-free, reasonably light (350 gm/pair).

Sometimes hard to clip in-helps to replace cleats regularly. I have been through 3 sets already.

My first and only clipless pedals, have used them for almost 4 years of daily commuting to work and mountain biking in CO and Moab. These things are great-unbreakable, need almost no service, and the price is right. I use them all winter in the snow for commuting and they work reasonably well. We don't have lots of mud in CO so I can't comment here. I personally see no reason to spend more on a pedal unless you are embarrassed to not have a "brand name" pedal (the paint and names wear off anyway).

Glenn   Weekend Warrior [Jun 12, 2000]
Strength:

Price. Good first or starter set.

AWFUL performance in mud. Just awful.
Rust!!

The pedals perform fine EXCEPT in mud, and in a race this is unforgivable. (Of course, most recreational racers have better pedals anyway). I had a critical lap at the 24 Hours of Snowshow undermined by these pedals' rotten performance with muck. I'm taking them off the first chance I get. Sorry Performance.

If you just want good, solid, inexpensive clipless pedals, and you're not going to go into the muck and grease, these or the Performance-brand campus pedals are good choices.

OTOH, if you intend to do more serious riding, buy up to something better. I think TIME pedals are in the future.

Brian   Cross-Country Rider [May 15, 1999]
Strength:

Cheap clipless pedal

Quality

I bought these as my first pair of clipless pedals. After about five months, the pedal body came unscrewed off of the spindle while I was riding. I also have a hard time cliping into them. I'm thinking of going with the ATAC pedals next. But overall, these were a good, cheap set of clipless to start off on.

john   Weekend Warrior [Jun 20, 2001]
Strength:

work well, haven't had any problems
price is probably good but since they came with the bike, i have nothing to say

none yet

i guess since i have never used anything else, i have nothing better to compair this too. they are so much better than toe clips, easy to get into and easy to get out of (fell once when i stopped and forgot i was in clipless pedals, oops) i like them

Similar Products Used: first clipless, used flat pedals and toe clips.
TrailRipper   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 14, 1999]
Strength:

Easy to clip in
Easy to clip out when muddy
Price

Not really easy to get into in the mud
Rust!

After a year in a half of pretty rigorous riding, the MC-7's held up quite well. Sure, the paint scratched off where the cleat hits it and the pedal gets a bit looser, but they are cosmetic and easy to fix problems respectively. The only thing that bothers me is that after a recent ride of unusual mud and water levels, the pedals became rusty. Hence, I have to replace them soon. I've considered the Time ATAC's--to much release angle--and the 747's-price. And then I considered these, and they were good for the money.