Odyssey Svelte Older Pedals

gsmith462   All Mountain Rider [Apr 13, 2016]
Strength:

Simple, durable, fantastic quality and very affordable if you can still find them.

Not a single thing comes to mind.

Just retired my first set I purchased in 1995 with well over 5,000 miles on them. The most I ever did to service them was to shoot a little WD40 on the inner gap of the spindle which I now know was a horrible thing to do because WD40 is not a lubricant. Each time I did spray them I would ride for a moment hearing the dirt crunch around for a minute and then they were smooth again which points out how durable these pedals are to have lasted as long as they have.

After getting a higher end MTB and better educating myself on bicycle maintenance in the past year I serviced one of them for practice and despite it being slightly rough feeling this pedal could easily go another 2000+ miles if need be but that won't be necessary because I just purchased 4 brand new sets of these online for about $20 per pair as opposed to dropping $50-$100+ on a single set of the new platform pedals with the screw pin grips.

These pedals grip very well and are nice because no special riding shoes are needed. As someone in another review mentioned, these pedals do have 2 different sides to them and are intended to be ridden with the 2 main claw type teeth facing up for maximum grip which is why when they are adjusted properly the pedal should naturally rotate to the claw tooth side up because of the way they are weighted.

Overall I highly recommend these pedals for anyone from the light trail rider all the way on up to downhill and everyone in between. Seriously, these are the only pedal I'll ever ride. This is very much a case where old school quality and simplicity has sold me for life so go find a pair before they are gone for good!

zouch   Cross Country Rider [Nov 03, 2008]
Strength:

light, simple

replacement bearings not readily available 10 years later,... ;-)

bought the Svelte Ti's to have something to use when i didn't necessarily want to have to use 'bicycle shoes', like when in camp on the trail; ended up using them with plastic clips and straps, and for everything from trails to crazy-ass Trialsin'.

even after ripping one of the cage screws out of the pedal body due to many years of using the left pedal to climb over rocks and things in environments ranging from unworkable mud to deserts of the SouthWest, these things have never failed me or given me any cause for concern (much like the Klein itself).

just checked them again while doing some other service this weekend, and noticed a *hint* of a notch in the bearings; entirely excusable after all they've been through since i put them on a decade or so ago!

anyone know where i can get some replacement bearing for these? ;-) (NSK 686Z)

Similar Products Used: Suntour XC Pro, Phil CHPs. (lota's SPDs; WTB, Bontrager, Shimano,...)
Dan   Weekend Warrior [Jul 02, 2006]
Strength:

Light, not clipless, durable, easy to maintain.

only on eBay now.

I service every five years. This includes disassembly, clean, grease, reassemble w/ thread locker on all bolts. Ride. Works best w/ Mt Zefal clips and Mt Christophe straps.

Similar Products Used: old xt platforms, generics.
Chris Robarchek   Cross Country Rider [Feb 20, 2003]
Strength:

Hah!!

Although my bike is set up as a Cyclocross bike, I rarely ride off road and if I do, it's strictly to get back onto the paved road. I don't like cage or clip pedals. I don't like feeling like my feet are trapped. I ride every day of my life for transportation as a choice in lifestyle but again, it's strictly on paved roads. I try to buy only the best, strongest components available, regardless of price because I want to have complete confidance in my components. I was told these pedals were the strongest on the market, and definately stronger than most clipless. I was told by the bike shop that they were like a cross between a road and BMX pedal. After riding them about 2-3 years of light, around town riding, one of them just snapped off when I got up out of the saddle on my power stroke sending my 235 lbs straight to the ground and sending me to the emergency room immediately after. I was dignosed with a concussion, multiple contusions, head trauma and a sprained neck. Luckily, the passing motorists were able to avoid running me over by swerving.

There is absolutely NO REASON for any pedal for ANY PRICE to simply snap off under the casual use which it was intended for. This product nearly cost me my life. I'm seeking legal action as I'm writing this.

After reading of my experience, conclude your own "bottom line".

Similar Products Used: Lots, but none have ever just snapped off under casual, ON ROAD useage. Even the bearings reflect the light-moderate usage these pedals recieved.
James   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2000]
Strength:

Light
Not Clipless

Harder to Find
Still pricey

I'm still a bit of a retro-grouch. I've embraced duallies, shocks, but don't see a need for more than 8 gears, and would gladly go back to thumbies if a good 8 speed set came out...

The same goes true for the pedals. I wanted a nice set that was light, and not clipless. I still ride in sneakers and sometimes walk in the same shoes that I ride in. (Abhor that though! :) Doesn't help that I've got big fit.

The Pedals are light (shop scale weighed them in at under the manufactured listed by 15-20g, the other set he had in were about 10g over...), haven't developed any nasty squeaks, spin smooth, were cheap, and haven't bashed in from rocks. I don't think about them. A perfect reccomendation in my book.

Similar Products Used: Cages that came stock with bikes
Scott   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2000]

Bearings

After two years the cheap generic pedals I had wore out. Decided instead of getting more generic pedals I would get more expensive better quality pedals and all the LBS had were these or real expensive clipless. I was riding a paved road up the hill to where my favorite trails start and the bearings in these crappy pedals gave out halfway up the hill. The total riding distance that they lasted can be measured in feet, not miles. By the time I got to the top of the hill it sounded like the pedals were packed with sand and had pebbles instead of bearings. I tried cleaning and regreasing the bearings, but they were to far gone.

Similar Products Used: Generic Platform Pedals
Ed A.   weekend warrior [Jan 03, 1999]

I picked up the Odyssey Svelte (Cro-Mo spindle) Pedal to replace the clipless that came with my bike. They were lighter (270 gr.) than the clipless. They are smaller than average, but with Zefel strapless toe clips, they've been excellent. My feet never slip out and I can get in them quickly. They are much more durable than Odyssey's products with cages (like, Triple Trap or Balck Widow, etc.) I highly recommend this combo. Svelte Pedal = $35, Zefel clips = $4. Have fun.

Scott   Cross Country Rider [Jul 12, 2000]
Strength:

Light and durable

Cage too sharp and feels like there is a top and bottom to it.

This is a follow up to my last review. The original set I got were defective, the LBS took one look at them an gave me a new set. Been riding the new set for almost a month now and haven't heard a sound from them. The metal cages have great grip with any type of shoe. Which means they will also slice through your shins without any trouble. Also, feels like there is a top and bottom to the pedal. At times one of the pedals will feel uncomfortable. I flip it so the other side is on top and it is fine then. I got use to how sharp they are, so the real complaint is the top and bottom feel.