Nashbar Pedals Older Pedals

Nashbar Pedals

Mark   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2002]
Strength:

clip in/out as told

I could save 6 grams (wow) and buy Shimano 959 for only $70 more... or even better, spend only $35 more and ADD 67 grams for Times...

Have ridden these exclusively in all conditions for 4 years - dry, wet, mud, snow. Just finished 24HRSofAdrenalin in Massachusetts on June 30 (2-man). Much roots, rocks, and muddy sections - I dismounted and walk/run through some of the mud... cleaned shoes/cleats once during the race and never had a problem with them... sure, I had to step down into them with a little gusto when muddy, but they have always clicked in when I wanted and release when twisted out.
I spray them off with hose when they are muddy - have done it 4 years and never overhauled them.
Will buy another set if these ever wear out!

Similar Products Used: shimano
GREG   Weekend Warrior [Feb 03, 2002]
Strength:

CHEAP

NEITHER ENTRY OR RELEASE IS AS GOOD AS SHIMANO PRODUCTS I HAVE USED. I ALSO WONDER WHAT THE SEALED BEARINGS ARE-MY PEDALS HARDLY EVEN SPIN

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR HERE. THEY ARE NOT AS GOOD AS THE SHIMANO'S I HAVE USED, BUT THEY CERTAINLY BEAT A CONVENTIONAL PEDAL. I GUESS I SURPRISED MYSELF BY RIDING ENOUGH TO NOTICE THAT THEY ARE NOT AS GOOD AS MY SHIMANOS. NOW IT'S TIME TO TRY TIME ATAC...?

Similar Products Used: SHIMANO
mike young   Cross Country Rider [Oct 04, 2002]
Strength:

Easy in, easy out. Noticeable "click" when engaged, after being broke in they are a snap to get out of. In fact, in emergency situations I was out before I knew it.

Not the best in muddy situations, especially that "black clay" crap. Loosened up once ever so slightly, but I don't think I tightened them enough, so I can't blame the pedals. Cleats are this pedal specific, and I was shorted one when they arrived. I called Nashbar and they sent me a new set w/o charge.

I bought these as my first clipless because spending $50-$100 on a pair of pedals I wasn't sure I was even going to like seemed like a dumb idea to me. And after riding them for about an hour I took a spill and seperated my shoulder. Everyone said get rid of the pedals but after I got used to them I don't want to ever go back to platforms(with or without clips)or caged pedals. Like I said, for $20 I have already got my moneys worth and figure I will continue until they wear out or break, and I might just buy another pair then.

Similar Products Used: None, this is my first pair of clipless.
max   Cross Country Rider [Jan 21, 2002]
Strength:

simple to set up, click in, and get out of

as w/ any clipless pedal, the cleats tend to get clogged w/ mud if you walk around much

clipless pedals are a great upgrade. it takes about 5 minutes to learn how to use them, and then it comes naturally. it is amazing how many companies sell the exact same pedal for more.

Similar Products Used: platforms and clips
PAR   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2002]
Strength:

Price, Performance

Pedal frame wears quickly

I've used Shimano for several years because they came with previous bikes and I was comfortable with them. My new bike didn't have pedals so I bought these because they were cheap. I had trouble getting in them at first but no problems now. There is a little more movement with these but no biggie. They aren't better than the shimanos I've used but are just good and a lot cheaper. The only thing you pay for with shimano is the name.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
KJ   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2002]
Strength:

They're cheap and they work.

Mostly work in mud, but cleaning them out is a pain.

Decent cheap pedals. No reason to replace them after 2500 miles. After trying some poorly adjusted pedals on new bikes (replacing the Bianchi), I really appreciate how these things work when you're pedalling and let you out when things get hairy. Biggest gripe: you need a hammer and chisel to clean dried mud out from around the springs.

Similar Products Used: Plenty of Look road cleats. ;)
Allen   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2001]
Strength:

price
weight
seals

These were my first clipless pedals, and they still work great. I got them for $10 when I bought a pair of shoes. Well worth the money. When these break, I will buy another pair just like them.

Similar Products Used: none
BDogSmith   [Jul 12, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap

Hard to clip into, springs break, adjustments lack range

If you want to pedal your bike, and most of us do, don't buy these pedals. They've been nothing but trouble. If I remove a foot for a corner or log it takes several tries to clip back it and I've had to reset the springs several times. I finally snapped the springs while riding a step downhill - it's not fun to have your foot fall out of a pedal on a rocky, step downhill.

Jesse   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 1999]
Strength:

price
they work

Havent found any yet

Havent had them very long but Im liking them, I dont have anything else to compare them too but I like them. definetly better than my straps. oooh, and the price.heres something funny - If you look closely at the picture you can see 'Ritchey' printed on it, oh well, same pedal.

Similar Products Used: dees be my first clipless
Daryn   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2001]
Strength:

This is my first set of clipless pedals and so far I don't have any complaints with these Nashbars. They're easy to get in and out of on and off the trail.

A buddy of mine got some Shimano clipless pedals and he's fallen over at a stop a few times because he couldn't get it of them. So far that hasn't yet happened to me.

paint scatches off easy... so what? They don't need to look pretty

Great first set of clipless pedals. Easy to adjust with an allen wrench and I've never taken a fall because I couldn't get out of them (knock on wood).

I almost bought the Time a.t.a.c pedals but saved almost $100 by going with the Nashbars. I'm sure the Times are a better set up over all or if you race, but for the price you simply cannot beat the Nashbar pedals. When these wear out, I will probably consider buying another pair of them.

Similar Products Used: none