Look SL3 Older Pedals

Look SL3

[Jan 07, 2000]
Jaime
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Float

Weight
Occasional Release

After reading the postings I think my pedals are more of the exception than the norm, but I've had these same pedals for over 3 years, taken them through mud, downhill mountainbiking at Big Bear and Tahoe. I never had a major problem getting out or getting in the pedals. I appreciate the float since I have bad knees from road biking, also I ride Time Pedals on the road so I am used to the float. I actually bought 2 pairs of these used so I can have backups if they ever discontinue the pedals.

Speedplay Frogs
Wellgo

[Mar 13, 1998]
roberto
cross-country rider

I love these pedals, they kick ass the mud-evac doesn't work the best, and are a little heavy, but a great deal. i love them and they are a great deal
I got them through performance at a great deal they ride will, and do not un-clip when you don't want them to.

[Jul 19, 1997]
Sean ONeil
cross-country rider

These pedals replaced the stock Onzas on my Fisher Paragon ('95 model) when the Onzas became too sloppy. For the first three months, these SL3s were heaven. Easy in/out, nice adjustable tension, and a very positive click. However, last sunday I was riding and felt some slop in my right pedal. I stopped, clicked out and looked at the pedal. One of the retention plate screws was gone; the other was loose as hell. I unscrewed it and placed it and the plate in my pocket, clicked into the other side of the pedal, and finished my ride. Today I looked at the remaining screw, and it is 3/4 of the way stripped. I looked at the pedal body, and saw that the hole from which the screw was missing, was TOTALLY stripped. A smooth bore. (Like Wayne Newton or Las Vegas)My words of caution: although my pedal may be a rare defect, be aware that this happened to me. I hope it's only a rarity.Rating: 1st 3 months: 5 chilies.
Last weekend: 1 chili.overall: 2 chilies unless this is quickly resolved by Look.

[Mar 18, 2001]
Aaron McGraw

Strength:

Okay, these are the rare SL2 pedals, fisrt of all. The are easy to engage, easy to disengage, and the large platform is very comfortable. VERY adjustable (this is a BIG plus)!

Plastic on pedal-outboard is hokey and scrathes up easily.

So good that I want another pair. New or used, I don't care, as long as the price is right. If anyone has a pair of S2X, SL2, or SL3 pedals they want to unload, I'm the man. Don't worry about cleats, I have spares. These puppies are getting hard to find, and it is a real pity. They are a fantastic pedal. Much more comfortable than any Shimano offering. If you are a serious off-roader, a racer, or just a weekend rider, I'd look into these bad-boys. If YOU don't want them, drop me a line at aaronmcgraw@hotmail.com (I'd love to get my filthy paws on another set).

Shimano Deore LX SPD pedals. Look road pedals.

[Oct 31, 1999]
Curtis

You name it

These were the first clipless pedal I bought for off road. i bought them on the strength of my Look road pedals, which I bought in 1987 and still use. I will never give up my old Look road pedals. On the other hand, I will NEVER by Look offroad pedals. Every time I rode it was a new problem. One side would not let go, the other I couldn't get out of. Getting clipped in again was a real adventure. I would have to literally STOMP into these pedals. There are plenty of good offroad pedals out there. Don't give these a second glance. I would give them zero chilis, but that is not an option

Girvin Mags

[Aug 11, 1999]
fat betsy
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

heavy duty
no accidental realeases because you can not get out of them

they suck
heavy
cleat breaks
clog with mud

these things suck ass. do not buy them they clog with mud and you can not escape. after a few rides the huge cleats started turning then they actually broke.

clipman
ritchey

[Jun 04, 1999]
Alan
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

good in mud
good click in feel

heavy.
French directions incorrect.

I bought these pedals 2 years ago for $100. So far I have had no problems like a lot of these reviews. I didn't try to adjust them until I started popping out of them accidently. My directions actually gave the wrong way to adjust the tension. They said counter-clock wise to increase. By the time I realized what I was doing I popped the cheap-looking retaining screws out of the pedal. So far nothing has happened. Maybe I have been lucky so far. These pedals are middle of the road.

Onza HO

[Jan 20, 1999]
Matt
racer

My friend got these and hit got hurt more times
because he wasn't able to clip out, he would bunny hop and clip out
now he probably won't have kids, these pedals sux dont'
buy them, the cleats are cheap, the pedals are always to tight
to clip in and there not SPD so you can't share what a rip
these sux ass i hope all look users die in a bike accident so they
couldn't clip out

[Oct 31, 1998]
Brent
weekend warrior

I bought these back in March or so when Performance had them on sale for $40. They replaced a set of Onzas. The only problem I've had with them is the retaining clip hitting rocks and being held out by the tension indicator. I have them set real light. Increasing the tension to get the indicator back in its slot is the easy fix. If you like to run your clipless light and like to play on the rocks, you might want to consider something else. I'll be running mine light for awhile longer until my broken foot gets stronger. 3 stars for the inconvience.

[Sep 15, 1998]
John
cross-country rider

They were great for about 2 months, then the troubles began. I stripped the screw out of the retention plate on the left pedal. My shop replaced it NC. 2 weeks later the same thing happened on the right pedal. Again, my shop replaced the screw. But then, all hell broke loss. I stripped 4 more screws. And by now the actual pedal was stripped. By then it was a year since I purchased the pedals, and the only recourse I had was to get new pedals. I went for speedplays. I've ridden them all year without a snag.