Icon solemates Older Pedals

icon solemates

Kelvin   Cross Country Rider [Oct 24, 2001]
Strength:

Worked for a while

Died a horrific death in a race.

The cartridge bearing exploded in a xc race - last lap was spent trying to stop the pedal body sliding outwards and binding on the mashed internals. Before that they ok - but suffered badly in mud.
Buy shimano instead.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 747
Ben   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2001]
Strength:

Durability, color, price, durability

I bought these 2 bikes ago and they are still going strong. I've managed to drop a few grams on them over the years by bashing and gashing them on all the rocky trails here. They still work, great. They've outlasted 3 pairs of shoes. Good feel, they'll be on my bike until I have to cut them off with a torch.

Similar Products Used: shimano, time
Seth   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2000]
Strength:

They don't take up too much room in the trash (or landfill)

The whole thing

If they come stock on your bike see if you can save any money by having the bike shop swap them out with something better. Go with Shimano.

Similar Products Used: Old school Shimano 737
Shimano 747
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Mar 13, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap
Decently lightweight
Equal to comparable products

NOT up to shimano's standard
Screw came loose and pedal fell apart after a year's use

These pedals were a good deal ($50 Can. brand new!), and for that price they were worth the money. But I think that the Shimano pedals are worth the premium over cheapies like these, Wellgos and VPs. Clipping in with these pedals is fairly difficult, and as my cleats have rusted it's gotten even harder. Also, you can tell that no one took the trouble to Loctite the screw inside because after a year of riding the screw backed out and I had to salvage the springs and the clip.

Go with Shimano.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Full Contact (OEM on my new Stumphumper, a bit better than the Icons)
Shimano 519 (MUCH better)
Shimano 535 (MUCH better, around the same as the 519)
Kevin   Cross Country Rider [Mar 13, 2000]

I put over 2000 miles on my 7500 with these pedals and I have had no problems whatsoever; came stock on my 7000 and they have performed well even though I beat the heck out of the bike. I haven't tried any other pedals to compare, but if it ain't broke .....

Mike Harris   Racer [Feb 06, 2000]
Strength:

i liked the pedals when i got them, and they worked fairly well in all but the muddiest coniditions for about a year, today the clawes that hold the cleat in just snapped on mine

they don't lastt more that a year, the claws snap and screws fall out sometimes

Buy these is your a recreational rider, but if youir racing don't bother
i'm gonna get me some 858's or tima atac's

-   Cross-Country Rider [May 15, 1999]

Fell apart, not worth the distance I could throw them.
Too bad there is not negative stars.

Sean   Cross-Country Rider [Mar 18, 1999]
Strength:

Works great,easy in and out.

haven't had any flaws except for chippable paint, But then who cares?

These pedals probably dont cost much.They work as good as any shimanos would. so i say if you want them buy em'and if you dont you shouldnt be reding this.

Robert   Cross Country Rider [Sep 25, 2002]
Strength:

compact, smooth bearings, fairly light

clipping out of these is a struggle *warning: may break your arm *see below

these spud's are dangerous man, i mean they just wouldn't bed in after time and clipping out was like trying to free your feet from a mantrap. Ive changed the cleats and 'filed' away at them to try and get some freedom but it didnt work. Couldnt free my feet and fell sideways many times smashing my arms...... im going back to good old cage and straps. f**k these

Similar Products Used: good old fashioned cage and straps
Kevin   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2002]

This is a follow up to my earlier post. These pedals worked OK on my hybrid, however as I started riding more technical sections on my mountain bike, the screws holding the pedals together worked loose. I tightened them several time, but on one ride, it came loose and I was not able to find all the parts. I replaced these pedals with Bontrager RE-1's which really SUCKED. They were constantly locking up or releasing early. I replaced those pedals with Time ATACs which totally rock. If I knew then what I know now I would say get Time ATACs. They are rock solid, consistent, there are no screws or adjustments and totally bomb proof. They are the one thing on my bike which works perfectly every time and there is no maintenance. I can't imagine why anyone would use anything else.