Icon Icon Older Pedals

Icon

Icon

Kyle   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2003]
Strength:

they looked cool off the bike

they start to stick after about 5 months of use then are a complete waste and make sure you dont do any racing with them

this a good low end beginner pedal that lasts until you want to upgrade to a more expensive pedal

gordon   Cross Country Rider [Nov 16, 2002]
Strength:

None that I Know of.

Fell apart often, rust, plastic pieces broke, left side made an horible sound.

Crap, I consider these pedals the weakest part of a well made bike. Will look for a better product for my bike this winter.

Similar Products Used: First pair owned.
William Crabtree   Cross Country Rider [Jul 21, 2000]
Strength:

Came as a free "specifications subject to change" upgrade on my '98 Gary Fisher Hoo KOO E Koo. Look nice.

These pedals ride poorly. I have troulble getting my feet in and I always clip out unwantedly. Clipping out unwantedly makes me unable to ride a technical section successfully. Not being able to clip in is really annoying to when always tryin on steep hills to get started.

These pedals are terrible. I do not reccomend buying them. I only tolerate them because they were free. For a similar price get Shimano M535 or M515.

Similar Products Used: Late model Shimano M373- much nicer
Nate   Racer [May 09, 2000]
Strength:

None that I can ever remember.

These things are weird. I had them for about a month before they started letting go. I would just be riding and pop they fall of. Look elsewhere.

What ever you do do not race with these pedals.

Similar Products Used: 747
Daren   Weekend Warrior [Apr 12, 2000]
Strength:

they work well for about 3 months
they come in cool colors

after about three months they either let your foot go unexpectedly, or the hold your foot and never let go, both of which are painful
They have no float

I bought these because I wanted to buy a cheaper pair of clipless pedals to see if I liked them or not. These were $40. They are worth about $10. They work great for about 3 months. Even though they have no float, they are fairly adjustable, and hold your foot well. After that, they just start sucking. They release your foot at random times (which really hurts while you are in the air), or just latch onto it, and never let go. Even the adjustments stopped working after about 4 months. Do not buy these pedals, it is worth it to pay $60 more for Times.

Similar Products Used: Time ATAC's
Carl   racer [Apr 17, 1998]

the first couple days this pedal performs like any other spd type clipless pedal they are mediocre for mud clearing and the 1/2 force in, full force out takes time to get used to the kicker is during a ride one of the pins that holds the springs and other bits and pieces vibrated loose on a ride and now i'm left with a single sided pedal, anyone interested in these Pedal please look somewhere else, oh yeah the bearings blow hard my wellgos held out better

Giuliano   Weekend Warrior [Apr 29, 2003]
Strength:

Steel is recyclable.

These things are dangerous. Not easy to clip in, hard to clip out. Sometimes VERY hard, and when it does happen... well, you know. A little mud is enough to make them work much worse than usual.
They was bundled with my trek bike, I don't know how much I payed for them.

Donald   Cross Country Rider [May 09, 2002]
Strength:

When I had to get out I could get out. Took a beating and never failed in 2 years and I beat the tar out of them

With regular Shimano cleats they just did not seem to work well. Sometimes it could be hard to get in to them, but if you clean and grease them regularly you won’t have any problems.

I did not like them at first but when I got some good shoes and Shimano multi release cleats I loved them. (Just crank them down all the way) If a friend of mine had not given me some ATAC’s I would still be using them.

Fishboy   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2002]
Strength:

I guess I would have to say that for low-end pedals they function more or less. I was able to tolerate them for 3 years without too much pain and maintenance.

Never really smooth clipping in or out. Bearings are not smooth at all -they spin fairly rough. For some reason the pedal/spindles are not reverse threaded -on several occasions the pedal simply fell off of the spindle. The last time this happened, I lubed the threads lightly and proceeded to tighten the pedal onto the spindle. With very little effort I managed to strip the spindle threads (they're plastic). Oh well, I was ready for new pedals anyway.

Spend a little more and get something that works better. Although, if you've never ridden clipless, these are cheap and at least you won't realize exactly how lame they really are compared to better pedals.