NiteRider MiNewt.X2 Older Lights

• 4.5 HR Smart Charger

Read the Pro Review on This Product Here>>

[Feb 22, 2010]
jsnapdotcom

Strength:

Bright , light , kinda cool looking and the commuter strobe setting freaks out the tweakers

I would like more light output this is 150 lumens and the X2 dual is 300 lumens and you can find it for the same price if you shop around.

If you need a light and you have a weight complex buy this if you don't care about weight buy the X2 dual it's double the light and the same price .

nothing close

[Feb 21, 2010]
sheepman

Strength:

The MiNewt.X2 is a light, bright light in a sturdy package. I have used the light on cross-country single track without need for a bar light.

Unfortunately, reliability is horrible. The light refused to work and I returned it to Niterider. They "repaired", not very quickly, and the returned light worked for less than 1 month. I returned it again, this time they held on to it for over 3 weeks only to tell me there was nothing wrong with the light!! I got it back, it worked in the bike shop, but never again after that. Luckily my shop gave me my money back. I have had another Niterider digital headtrip that died after the "smart" charger fried the battery. I will NEVER buy another Niterider. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I would not recommend that anyone buy this light. The battery fails to hold a charge, replacements are far too expensive. The light did not come with a helmet mount or an extension cord, bith necessary for winter riding. Niterider customer service is pretty bad. If you want a reliable light look elsewhere. I just purchased a Dinotte 400L since a number of riders in my group have them and like it.

Niterider Digital Headtrip.

[Dec 02, 2009]
Tenacious E

Strength:

compact, lightweight

light output, unpredictable battery life

Light output could be much better. My Ay-Up lights easily outside this one. The major problem I encountered was the unpredictable battery life. The advertised run time is 3 hours on the highest setting. The longest I've gotten is about 2.5 hours, but now it only lasts about 1 hour. Good thing REI has a 100% guaranteed return policy. Probably a great commuting light, but need something more predictable, long lasting, and brighter for the trail.

Ay-Up

[May 31, 2009]
pogojim

Strength:

Small, light, easy to fit onto multiple bikes

Unreliable, doesn't seem to charge properly, short battery life.

I'm on my second unit and this one is only slightly better than the last. My wife's 1 watt commuter LED often out-powers my light. My $30 combo set often out-shines this light. It never seems to charge properly - usual charge time is 10 minutes! - and the bright initial light fades to virtually nothing in about 5-10 minutes. On the one or two occasions when it has come on at full-strength it has been brilliant, but as a reliable trail or commute ready device it is absolute rubbish. (I have tried two seperate battery/light/charger units so I don't have any single faulty component.)

As an example, I took it off the charger on Friday night to use it on my ride to soccer. The ride is 10 min tops. By the time I got there the light was almost totally diminished.

If it charged properly it might score a 5. As it is 1 chili seems generous.

Home-made set-ups

[May 14, 2009]
Imprezsia

Strength:

Small, Light Weight, Fast Charge Time

Breaks Easily, Doesn't throw off a ton of light down trail (useful for 30min before to an hour or so after dusk) I'm actually on my second replacement right now. The first time the led blew after about 160 hours of riding. This last time the cord broke loose from the plug connector. Niterider has replaced it the first time... actually sent out the light today to be fixed so I'm not sure if it will be warrantied again.

It doesn't take abuse... but if you pamper it or use it on your road bike im sure you'll be fine.

Princeton Tec Switch Back 3, Light & Motion Seca 700 Race

[Apr 12, 2009]
DrAxeman

Strength:

Amazing amount of light! It really lights up the trail. Guys I know with bigger systems are impressed. Great battery life.

Not much difference between the 2 brightness settings. Not sure how much of a weakness this is.

Great light for night trips

Catseye

[Feb 28, 2009]
lonefrontranger

Strength:

bright, compact, nice mounting system

batteries, just like all NR systems, they suck!

I've had the same experience as the guy from Kansas below. I used this light for about 2 months as a commuter light, bought last October. About mid-January I began to have trouble getting it to hold a charge. Recently it stopped charging and won't turn on.

This is the exact same experience I've had with 2 other NightRider systems in the past. I don't know what it is about my riding style or charging style. My boyfriend swears I don't do anything different charging them or using them than he does. I just have had horrible luck with them. I will be warrantying this light through Performance and I'm afraid it's my last attempt using NightRider products.

dinotte, several cateye small lights, other NR systems

[Jan 11, 2009]
theMayor

Strength:

small
lightweight
easy to use/adjust/mount
bright white light with no dead spots
long battery run time

short cable makes this light difficult to mount on some frames, cable can be easily yanked out of battery

I've used this light for about 3 weeks, each night and several mornings for commuting/trail riding. It only recently needed its 2nd charge, and that was after I started using the high setting all the time, as well as for morning use! The charge lasts surprisingly long, but needs to be conditioned properly for a better review. The light's cable is too short to mount on my gusseted top tube with a 110 stem, but luckily fits on the stem. *Hopefully* it will still be useable when I install a 50mm. Still haven't tried pitch black trail riding, but doubt the light output/beam pattern would be enough to haul ass confidently. With a second light, one on the helmet, this would be perfect for all out riding in 0% light. As is, this light is perfect for city/road use.

[Jan 09, 2009]
piers

Strength:

Lots of light, excellent electrical design, lightweight, pleasing beam, excellent runtime.

Short cable, mount not suitable for helmet, had to be modified.

Bought this and the Dual X2, to replace a NR Classic and Headtrip. I was skeptical there would be enough light to match the flood on the Classic, but I loved these lights immediately.

Not wanting to mount my battery on the helmet, and wanting to continue to use my Headtrip mount for myself and universal mount when lending this light to others, I just replaced the rubbery foot with the foot from the Headtrip, and the mount is now "old-style". The foot screws in (not glue as mentioned in another review).

The short cable had to be extended so the battery can be in my pack, and not where it can be knocked off as easily by branches. Just personal preference, but I didn't want to spend $20 on a helmet mount (which the light did not come with), and $30 on an extension cord.

Overall, I recommend this and the Dual X2 to everyone who asks.

NR Digial Headtrip, etc.

[Nov 22, 2008]
trekex9

Strength:

This is a great small package, and the light works very well for commuting. It's perfect for that application, except for poor battery life.

The battery life isn't close to what is claimed, and a replacement battery is ridiculously expensive. Dinotte has much better pricing on batteries. NR claims the charger is a "smart" charger, but it always takes 4 hours to charge the battery, no matter the state of charge!

I wouldn't buy another Niterider product. I've seen the Dinotte lineup and that would be my preferred option. Niterider factory support/response is lukewarm at best.