NiteRider MicroBrute Charger Older Lights

MicroBrute Charger

The New MicroBrute™ charging system will fully charge a battery pack in approximately 5 hours. It will top off a battery at any level of discharge without worry of overcharging. Available for all existing systems (except for TrailRat) and included in many new NiteRider 13.2V and 6V lighting systems. Also available for the MicroBrute™ is an In-Vehicle charging adapter, allowing charging of batteries from a car or any other 12V source.

JEREMY   Cross Country Rider [Feb 24, 2002]
Strength:

warms your hands if its cold outside

Everything. The first one nearly melted down, and took my battery with it. The guys at Rock and Road replaced it only to have the second one do the same. Never goes to trickle charge mode, or indicates when the battery is full.

For 400 dollars, I want a charger that will last longer than a fricken month. My cell phone charger cost me $10, and it still works!! Be careful with these things, or you'll be on the phone to your insurance company explaining how your house burned down.

Basically, I have great light with no battery or charger because it was all sent to NR for a warranty replacement. I'll write another review of the re-re-replacement if/when it ever comes. 0 chilis, if they were steaming piles of shieit, I'd give it five!

Similar Products Used: moonlight? First light system
Aaron   [Oct 03, 2001]
Strength:

Customer Support

Serious Consumer Hazard!

I excitedly unpacked my brand new HID and plugged it in at work to charge it up for a ride yesterday. After 10 minutes of charging I was distracted from my computer screen by the strong smell of burning plastic! That's right the MicroBrute had heated to the point of melting the plastic in only 10 minutes!

I quickly unplugged the system and tried to ventilate my office then I called NiteRider. They were all at interbike so no luck yesterday but this AM I spoke with a guy that said "it's not uncommon but don't worry they don't catch on fire".

He's sending me a new one via overnight UPS. Hopefully this one's QA tester wasn't sleeping.

Similar Products Used: Vistalight, NiteRider Digital Night Owl
Rob   [Oct 18, 2001]
Strength:

I purchased a storm HID headtrip. I had a digital headtrip before this and the brute worked excellent with it.

The 13.2 brute heats up so much I'm afraid my carpet is going to catch on fire! The first charge out of the box, the charger kept going green every few minutes for the first 20 minutes. Later on it kept going green about every hour. Its supposed to take 5 hours to charge one of these batteries! I just kept reseting the brute until I hit 5 hours.
The battery also felt warm just after 3 hours...so I dont know if its wise to keep charging it for another 2 hours.

For the money nite rider charges for the HID, I expected better results.

Similar Products Used: Digital headtrip 2
chris koob   Weekend Warrior [Mar 10, 2003]
Strength:

3 1/2 hour charge time

The brute came with my system. People talking about 5 hour charges? Now is 3 1/2. I am impressed. The HID light is the bomb too. After I got mine, all my friends got one too.

Similar Products Used: none
Chris Masterson   Racer [Aug 17, 2001]
Strength:

During a charge cycle, my MicroBrute Charger actually heated to the point where it completely melted the enclosure and ignited a small fire on my carpet. Luckily I was home to witness this and not have my entire apartment burn down.

I think this is a really poorly designed charger. However, niterider was very good in providing warranty support for the charger. I'll give them that one!

Similar Products Used: Other NiteRider Products
Harry Hogan   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2002]
Strength:

5 hour charge time. Cigarette Lighter Adapter accessory allows charging in you car as well as at home.

None that I can find. It has worked perfectly every time.

I can't believe how good this charger is. I bought a Digital Evolution about 6 months ago and the microbrute charger came with the system. I bought the cigarette lighter adapter because I like charging in my car. I also bought the Niterider Explorer headband so I can use the light for camping, hiking, working in my garage or whatever. I have never had any problem with the charger. I just bought another 13.2 Microbrute quick charger for my older DP 12E. Make sure you get an adapter for the older plug as they have changed connectors. I bought the Cigarette Lighter Adapter for that also. I think it is awesome that you can use the same Charger for charging at home or in your car. I keep my Digital Evolution in my car always so I can use for a spur of the moment hike to catch a beautiful sunset and have a light to get back down the mountain.

Similar Products Used: I have several niterider lights going back about 7 years. Niterider makes great lights.
Mike B   Cross Country Rider [Apr 29, 2002]

Microbrute Charge melted.

It won't charge my battery. They are sending me a new one. They say this one won't melt. I will let you all know if thats true. The guy I talked to seemed to have the social skills of a caveman, and the IQ of one as well. I am giving 1 extra chili (for a total of 1) for them sending me the replacement without me having to send in the one I purchased.

Similar Products Used: none