NiteRider Digital NiteOwl II Older Lights

Digital NiteOwl II

NiteRider's top of the line stealth lighting system. The Digital NiteOwl™ II features a low profile handlebar mounted remote switch, multiple lighting levels, 8 bit microprocessor controlled fuel gauge, and 4.5Ah NiMH battery pack. The 13 oz battery pack can be mounted on the seat tube, down tube or top tube, freeing up your water bottle cage.

yardsale   Racer [Jun 17, 2003]
Strength:

great light!!! i've owned several nitriders, and they all work flawlessly. the fact that its digital makes it even more convenient. i got this light from an internet auction from a kid in MO, we won't mention any names CHRIS. anyway, i paid $90 for thinking the light was in working order. when i got it, it wouldn't hold a charge. i immediately contacted niterider and they suggested that the system be sent back to them for diagnostics. to make a long story short, niterider found that the battery was no good and they replaced it for free, they even threw in a car charger. much praise to niterider, their products, and that very nice lady working for them in customer service. i never did get her name, but if your every in jersey you have my number.

none!!

can't ask for a better product and service than niterider.

Similar Products Used: digital headtrip
Todd   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2002]
Strength:

Good Experience. Works consistently. Handle bar mount is good

LED's sometimes give funky reading on 1st plugin.

Excellent entry level daily user. Light weight.

Laura   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2002]
Strength:

ok lighting when it actually works and not in shop being fixed

Abysmal quality! Terrible customer service! Unreliable!

The first light I got didn't even work...had to return it. Second light the connector for the battery went...in the shop for weeks. Third light the connector went again...back to NightRider for months. Fourth light the whole damn thing went bad.

Similar Products Used: None.
Skippy Fish   [Jan 27, 2002]
Strength:

Nice light when it works

Unreliable

Got this light as a replacement for my failed NiteOwl. It works about the same -- very poorly. You cannot count on this light to work, especially in colder temperatures. It likes shifting to reserve mode, especially if you leave it in 15 watt more for 5 seconds or more. Incompetent engineering.

Similar Products Used: Cyclops, NiteOwl, Headtrip, Pro-6
ClydesdaleMTB   Weekend Warrior [Jan 14, 2002]
Strength:

none.

everything

I'm back again... My opinion of NiteRider Digital NiteOwl-II has completely changed. It SUCKS!!!!!

I have had continual problems with false peaking of the MicroBrute charger.

I now use a MAHA C777 charger (which came with my www.trailheadlights.com light)

Even with fully charged cells the "brain" is brain-dead!

When I plug in a fully charged pack the power on self test indicates the cells are depleted. I can sometimes unplug the pack a few times and it registers properly. Most often though, I get about 45 minutes of high and then 6 hours on "reserve".

The folks at NiteRider have made all sorts of excuses, and keep trying to blow me off on the phoine and via E-mail.

When I told the Manager of the LBS about all the problems, he told me that he has had 6 returns of the NiteOwl-II's for the exact same symptoms. We went out to my bike and he took the NiteRider off of it and gave me a brand new Light & Motion Solo Logic off his shelf to use till he can send them back and they figure out what the hell is wrong with all these lights.

Similar Products Used: www.trailheadligts.com
www.bikelights.com
ClydesdaleMTB   Weekend Warrior [Sep 24, 2001]
Strength:

Wow that sucker is BRIGHT...
and a nice white light as well.

Cost

Purchased at the LBS.. paid about $50 more than if I went mail-order, but I didn't want to wait and I knew they would take care of me after the sale. (Also got a 10% NEMBA Discount ;-)

a really fantastic light.... Seems they worked out all the bugs in the "first generation" Nite-Owl, and finally have a worthy product of the NiteRider name.

Now that it's hunting season again, I can hardly wait till it gets dark, just so I can use it, and not be confused for a deer, by a hunter.

The second best investment I've made on my bike to date, IMO.

Since longevity/durabilty is still unkown, I'm only giving it 4 doobies... we'll see how it holds up to riding through a NH Winter.... I'll come back in thje spring and let you know.

Rob Siller   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2001]
Strength:

Bright light, really bright. Obey the warning, don't stare directly at the lamp. Riding buddy said I looked like a motorcycle. Cool features (battery gauge, variable light levels, "reserve" tank, etc.). Fast set-and-forget charger. Small, light battery that can be fastened in many different positions on bike (got to keep both bottle cages). With optional helmet mount, the battery would comfortably fit in a hydrapak.

Product reliability. Battery gauge didn't work out of box. LEDs just danced around regardless of battery freshness. Emailed tech support that night and they got back to me the following morning (was pleased with promptness). I was notified that I needed to send the light back because of a likely defective circuit in the lamp module. I don't consider it acceptable to buy a product, try it once, and then send it for repairs. NiteRider is probably right about the lamp circuit because I noticed that on the second try, after inserting the battery plug, the light didn't work. After pulling it out and re-inserting it, the lamp functioned.

Although it seems expensive, for what you get it's a pretty good deal. Price other manufacturers and see how much a variable level light, with a fast charger will set you back. However I am concerned about the product quality/reliability. Had the unit worked properly out of the box, I'd be a happy camper.

Similar Products Used: Old 2.4 watt Cateye halogen (4-AA's). Worked well for occasionally riding at dusk, but with my 6am rides, I went through batteries once a week.
Kypq   [Apr 16, 2002]
Strength:

This light has performed the best out of my three( the others both being Pro 6's)

General Warning: On all three of my lights the rubber seal between the battery pack and the light has ripped partially. So i guess this problem isn't restricted to only the Owl

This light has performed flawlessly, I have raced it and my others at the 24 hours of the Gorge and it outperformed the Pro 6 in burn time and the digital function is pricless. Don't pay full pop for any light though, try to find it at this site or at ebay

Similar Products Used: Mag-Lite duct taped to bar, NiteRider Pro 6
Alfredo   Cross Country Rider [Apr 10, 2002]
Strength:

lite and sturdy. seems well made

digital charger is one piece andreal charger another. they should make it one unit so there is one less thing to loose or break.

So far its been quite good. No charger problems and actually have gotten quite good times out of them. (Bought one for me and one for my GFs bike. this ligh is good enough for most anyone. But if you need stadium lights or are afraid of the dark buy the HID lights. I dint because you cant have the flashing option on that kind of bulb. In the city you actually need a strong flashing more than a light for you to see with.

Similar Products Used: fireflies in plastic bottle
John   Cross Country Rider [Apr 09, 2002]
Strength:

Sturdy housing, but no better than other high-end systems

Unreliable, poor clamp design

I originally bought the plain NightOwl, but exchanged it for the digital version within a week because I was willing to pay the difference for true "plug and play" capability.

This is a light with replacement electronics I got done right here at NiteRider's factory since they're in my home town. However, I had to get a bike shop owner to call a personal friend at NiteRider and arrange the fix for me because NiteRider absolutely never answered a fax, e-mail or phone call.

The light's original problems have been well described by previous posts. I just want to point out that mine works satisfactorily now, but I'd never trust it off road. I commute daily and it's just good enough for that.
The current problem is the clamp. It is falling apart. The pins work their way out regularly and the light suddenly starts points up or down. I'm commuting on typical paved streets, not technical singletrack! I'm getting a Light & Motion HID. I'm tired of screwing around with inferior products and even worse customer service. It's an insult to trust a company to provide something they claim to make your life easier and have it do just the opposite. For those of you who keep replacing these things and hoping for the best, look up "masochist" in the dictionary.