NiteRider Digital HeadTrip II Older Lights

NiteRider Digital HeadTrip II Older Lights

Small, powerful and light, the Digital HeadTrip™ II is the ultimate helmet mounted lighting system. Enhanced safety and control are provided by the 8-bit microprocessor power management system. Hi-power NiMH batteries in a 13oz package as small as a deck of cards.

[Oct 26, 2001]
Jim

Strength:

Light weight, smart charger, selectable wattage

Sometimes goes into 6 watt battery saver mode when fully charged

The HeadTrip seemed like a great light when I bought it. Generally worked,though it went into 6 watt power saver mode a couple times when first charged. That is so stinking irritating! On a couple of occassions, I started a long ride in the daylight and turned on the Headtrip when it got dark only to find it would only go into 6 watt mode. Incredibly irritating. Unplugged and plugged several times with no effect. Got home and it registered as charged. But it usually worked; not a chronic problem.

Anyway, I wanted more light, so I put a Night Owl on the handlebars to supplement the Headtrip. That helped quite a bit; I pointed the NightOwl just in front of my front tire, so the Headtrip allowed me to look up the trail and around corners, then really light up the trail in front of me on technical sections.

Then I realized I'd spent $300 and could have a NiteRider Storm for $350 from PricePoint. So I returned both the Headtrip and the NightOwl, got the Storm and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I ride with guys that have the HeadTrip. It's beam, even on 15 watts, looks like a pitiful little yellow dot on the trail compared to the NiteRider Storm!! I used to have trouble keeping up with the 4 guys I night-ride with; not any more! I'm on or above their pace in the technical stuff now because I can see the trail so well.

Honestly, there's no comparison. If you actually ride at night and can afford the Storm, it is vastly superior to anything else on the market.

[Sep 25, 2001]
Rob

Strength:

Great at 15w, I've been averaging about 2hours on 15w. Lightweight, like the plug and forget 5 hour charger.

Needs to be rest sometimes when first plugging in. It will default to 6w and tell you the batter is dead. Just unplug the cable and back in..its fine.

Great light...you get what you pay for.

[Sep 16, 2001]
andrew

Strength:

really light, super bright on 15w, looks cool. long battery life. easy to put mount on helmet.

beam is kinda narrow

a great light for a great price. long burn time. super bright in the 15w setting. buy it now!!!

[Sep 18, 2002]
Mirek

Strength:

Small battery. Great charger. Bright light. No battery memory problem. Works well in the rain.

Expensive if you want to get another battery

Great light for most rides. I'm looking for a handle bar light to get more contrast on the ride. With the helmet mount only, things tend to lose their height perspective.

I had no problem whatsoever with it right from the get go. No funny switching to low beam. Go and buy one.

[Aug 28, 2001]
Richard

Strength:

Solid beam. Really lights up the trail. Light-weight. Rapid charging (5 hours). Easy to use.

None to think of.

I liked mine so much I bought another one, just to have a spare for friends that want to ride with me at night to use.

[Aug 29, 2001]
Jeffrey Luce

Strength:

Light weight for complete system with a great burn time. Great for Eco-racing.
small/light battery takes up little room in hydrapak.
10w is plenty of light off-road unless you're a downhiller. Charging system.

A second battery well cost you $100.00, required or a must for 24hr races.

Great product so far that meets my needs. You pay for quality and dependability but well worth it when you need the light.

None needed.

[Aug 30, 2001]
Mark

Strength:

Great little product. Tons of light, very durable. Good instructions. Easy to switch between wattages.

The computer can be a little flakey at times, not showing the correct power charge. The connection into the battery is also little touchy, but once seated it holds fast

Although spendy, if you want to ride at night this is the light for you. I read most of the reviews on this site & am very happy with the NightRider purchase. I would have given it 5's but a few clitches with my usage so far.

[Apr 29, 2002]
Stephane

Strength:

Bright white at 15W. Easy to switch between 6,10,15W intensities. Battery pack is small and light. 1 3/4 hrs of burn time (at 15w) is plenty. 5hr charging.

First light i got i sent back (see below), but got another new one in one week.

Nothing worked on the first light set i bought. The battery got hot when charged. The battery and light contacts were sketchy. And the battery was sending some bad info to the light. Anyway, i brought it back to the store. Got a new one in a week.
I've had no problems with this one. All problems above have not re-occured.
On-trail lighting is excellent. Could say that the beam is kind of narrow, but doesn't bother me. More than enough light at 15w, just enough at 10w if you need to conserve on the juice.
You will not need another light on your bike if you have this one! Ignor anybody who says that you do. Anything else is overkill and a waste of money.
If you can get a fault-free light it is definetly worth the money.

Taking off some chilis for overall rating because of 1st defected system that i sent back. Value is excellent if you can get a non-defective system.