NiteRider Classic Plus Older Lights

NiteRider Classic Plus Older Lights

The NiteRider Classic…the name gives reference to its longevity. Using a dual beam headlamp housed with two insanely bright 12 volt halogen bulbs, this system turns any dark singletrack into daylight. This legendary light system gives the rider the ability to switch between a 12 or 20 watt halogen bulb, when maximum light output is needed use both 12 and 20watt bulbs together turning night into day. The Classic Plus system draws power from a 13.2volt battery constructed with the highest quality and capacity NiMH cells available. All of these features combine to make the Classic an excellent performer.

[Oct 16, 2005]
Ted

Strength:

Reliable

The two lights on together doesn't really improve the field of light. They need to offset them so that the narrow beam points down the trail while the wide beam hits closer to the ground. SureLock connectors some apart surprisingly easy.

I bought this from NR at cost when I sent in my headtrip for warranty work. I also bought a Digital Evolution. The DE sucks. However, this one has save my bacon countless times and has yet to fail me.

I'm still giving up on NR as I 2 of the 3 lights I've owned have failed me. However, I think you can count on the Classic Plus.

[Dec 11, 2001]
Jim

Strength:

GREAT AMOUNT OF LIGHT,NOT MUCH WT.ON AND OFF HANDLE BAR FAST.

MICROBRUTE CHARGER IS NOT RELIABLE.THIS IS THE FOURTH ONE.

GREAT SET OF LIGHTS.SO FAR I CAN'T COMPLAIN.I NIGHT RIDE 2 TO 3 TIMES A WEEK AND THESE LIGHTS DO THEIR JOB!

DIGITAL NITEOWL

[Dec 18, 2001]
Scott Cole

Strength:

Great beam pattern, high quality

lousy customer service.

After looking at lots of brands, I bought the classic and have been very happy. My previous light was a Pro-six -the battery only recently gave out after 6 years. The beam patterns are smooth, and the remote switch is addictive.
However, the microbrute recharger is supposed to blink when trickle charging so the battery won't get fried. It doesn't, and neither my LBS or Niterider could tell me why, so I have to wonder if it's actually doing the job instead of slowly killing my new expensive battery. Some hints for dealing with Niterider: 1. Don't e-mail. They won't respond. 2. Don't call. The voicemail will be full.

Niterider Pro 6

[Feb 11, 2006]
greg guillory

Strength:

Built tough, bright well focused beams

The Classic Plus is a great light for the bars without the added venerability of digital controls. Each side can be used individually or both at the same. This thing blows away the Nightsun because the light is focued in a way that uses all the light produced and none is shining off into space. The battery is smaller and dosen't take a bottle cage. This light used with an Evolution or Digital Evolution on the helmet is a great setup for racing or just farting around and being able to see REALLY well. If you've never ridden offroad at night, you are really missing out. With good lights, you can see well enough to go just as fast as in daylight. Try it!!!

NR Evos, Digital Evos, Pro 6, Head trip, Nightsun XC, Vistalites, Cygotites

[Nov 10, 2006]
Psychodad

Strength:

Lots of light. Strong, high quality design. Handlebar light switch. Adjustable. Proven and reliable product.

Frame mount of the battery could be designed to be more secure. Battery attaches to frame with velco strap.

This little puppy can light up the trail. I use the 20 watt flood most of the time and hit the 32 watts when it gets technical. I can ride about as fast as I do in the day with this light. Quick 2.5 hour charge time. Strong, high quality, design. It looks and feels like it can take a beating. Handlebar mounted thumb switch is great. Good run times on battery.

Sigma Evo and Evo X.

[Sep 28, 2006]
Tony

Strength:

Fast charge, reliable, and rugged with a good amount of light. Price when compared to HID.

Handlebar mount can't get real tight on oversized bars when you remove the rubber piece and it keeps sliding down on fast or bumpy downhills. 2 beams don't do a lot more than one. The flood lite setting is the best, so it seems like the rest of it is pointless. Handlebar mount only. It is not a HID.

Great light for the money. It puts out a lot of light, has some flexibility with different settings, great run time. Has never failed me. I gave it highest ratings, becuase it is very good for what it is.

I have HID envy!

Rode with guys with everything from $10 lite to $$$ HID's.

[Nov 11, 2003]
Anthony English

Strength:

Awesome build quality, extremely easy to use, superb light pattern, very powerful. RELIABLE!!

Micro Brute charger doesn't give the specified trickle charge mode. Green light refuses to go into flashing sequence after a full charge. However, this problem (if it is a problem?) hasn't seemed to have affected operation of the system.

This light set surely must be one of the best available. Having experienced problems finding a well made, reliable light system in the past, using the NiteRider has been something of a revelation. It's simple and easy to use, you don't have to put it in the fridge every first Monday in the month, power output is fantastic, and more important (for me) than anything else - it is RELIABLE!

Most of the BLT models.

[Dec 19, 2001]
mike b

Strength:

apparent simplicity
microbrute charge
just the amount i need for riding at high speeds at night

microbrute charger has never gone to trickle charge, even after being left on 5++ hours
silly low/double/high cycling
new cables don't look promising

the mikeb niterider saga continues.

after my expensive digital pro 12 went kalbloowie during rainstorms in two consecutive winters, niterider apparently gave up on repairing them and offered me a $150 credit. i, being the ever-so-gracious and patient customer i am, accepted their kind offer and applied my credit towards the purchase of the latest version of the niterider classic.

i have ridden many miles with the niterider classic and have killed my share of batteries due to heavy use. however, i never did like the fact that you could'nt plug and forget the early generations of the classic system. with the New, Improved Version of the Classic Plus, the niterider rep i spoke with on the phone informed me i could leave the thing on the charger for a day or so. i have'nt done this yet, although i did leave it plugged in for about ten hours or so the other day and the system did not begin to trickle charge. i am hoping that this will not become a serious issue in the future...

i've also read here and been told by niterider that the charger and/or the battery gets HOT during the charging period. this has'nt happened either yet while i've been charging my system, however, i have not yet experienced any problems. keep in mind that i got this light last friday (14 dec) and have commuted to work three days and taken one hour and a half night ride. (i use my low sometimes combined with my high beams approximately forty five minutes five days a week during my commute home)

so far, i am happy with this system, and have been generally pretty happy with the niterider classic system i've used in the past. if you insist on giving niterider your money, buy this system with a caveat emptor regarding my (and other reviewers) comments about the trickle charge function of the charger. if you are having problems with niterider's customer service process, my advice to you is to be FIRM and to be ULTRA, ULTRA persistant and to send them a detailed description of the problems you're experiencing in writing, along with repeated emails.

i will not be altogether happy with niterider until my new classic plus or ultra or pimp or whatever the thing is called proves itself. i am happy that they gave me a hefty credit on my old system, but i'm sure that was just to get me off of their asses.

three stars based on what i paid for it (but they coul'dnt/would'nt repair my digital pro) and three overall, until my suspicions about the microbrute charger are dispelled.

i will submit an equally long-winded and scathing review on this product when i have ridden with it for a few months.

first generation turbo cat dual beam
niterider 15w single beam
second generation niterider classic
niterider digital pro 12
some chintzy 10w specialized single beam

[Sep 19, 2006]
George Hernandez

Strength:

Very bright, lights up whole trail or road at 32w. Nifty, velcro on switch. Bottle cage battery is easy to use. Connectors are very secure.

More light = less run time. Heavy. You have to time your charges, but at least you don't trash the battery if you guess wrong.

My commute takes me down a long, steep, unlit hill where I'm pushing 50mph. With both bulbs going, I'm not even close to outrunning my light. On trails, I can go as fast at night as during the day (OK, that's not saying much).

I get less than an hour at full blast, but that was a test; I only fire up both bulbs for brief stints. The 12w is my standard light and then I go from there as conditions dictate. With a full charge, I get around 1.5 hours with varied usage. If you need lots of light, don't want to spring for HID, and aren't too worried about weight, this is a fine light.

Niterider trail rat.

[Mar 12, 2004]
Peter

Strength:

Very bright, white light

Very unreliable. Both bulbs failed within six weeks, and after four months the battery failed completely. The guarantee period is only three months, so I had the choice of paying a further $145 for a replacement battery or junking it. I junked it and bought a Marwi (which has a one-year guarantee), which I am very happy with.

Great light, but very unreliable.

Marwi Pro Elite