Nightsun Team Issue Dual Beam Older Lights

Team Issue Dual Beam

The Nightsun Team Issue offers all the power and reliability you've come to expect from Nightsun, Proven over the past 10 years to be the most reliable and popular on-road and off-road bike light

Khal   Racer [Oct 15, 2012]
Strength:

Robust, nice machining, long light duration, good illumination for its time.

Not anywhere as good as modern LED units.

I bought a Team Issue or something similar in the 1990's when my commute home was 11 miles along a major highway on Oahu and was often ridden in the dark and/or rain. The Nightsun put out a lot of light for its time on hi beam and when going slowly, the low beam was adequate. One night while riding all out into a trade wind, I had the Nightsun on hi beam and saw a shadow appear in the distance. I had time to recognize the shadow as the dark shape of a wrong-way bicyclist without lights and barely was able to avoid a head on crash. That Nightsun more than paid for itself on one commute home.

Similar Products Used: HID and LED lights by Light and Motion and NiteRider.
mlawson66   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2010]
Strength:

Bright lights, when working.

Shoddy gear. Had mysterious shorts. Had to send the whole thing in for *troubleshooting*. Took more than a month to get back. Blew the HID bulb.

Shoddy workmanship. Exorbitant prices. I'm embarrassed that I paid so much for this junk.

I bought a pair of these systems, for myself, and my wife. After less than a month, the system on my bike started shorting out. There was no visible damage to the wiring harness. It blew the HID bulb. I sent the whole system in for repair, and it took a month to get it back. We switched to Night Rider systems, and put the Nightsun stuff back on the shelf. Recently, I was planning on putting Nightsun on our commuter bikes, thinking that they might perform better in an environment less prone to shock and vibration. In dealing with their customer service, I got some real attitude, and even had some pejoratives thrown at me. I was trying to support an American company, but enough is enough. For the mountain bikes, we are going with Ay Up. For the commuter bikes, we are going with Trail Tech MR11 HID lamps, and sealed lead acid batteries. Both systems are in the $200 range.

Similar Products Used: Night Rider, Trail Tech HID MR11
Mike   Weekend Warrior [Dec 05, 2001]
Strength:

Good light and burn time

Customer support is primarily designed to sell more product.

I've used night-sun products for about 10 years but I will never buy another product from them again. To make a long story short - my battery charger went out and they refuse to sell me a new one!!!!!! The battery is almost new because when this happened before they talked me into buying a new battery with the charger. Said the old battery was the problem. Of course, with the new battery charger I got 3 more years out of the old battery. Now I have an almost brand new battery and no way to charge it. I'm going with Light & Motion and guess I will try to sell my night sun stuff (to someone with a charger!). Buyer beware!

Reno   Cross Country Rider [Jul 22, 2001]
Strength:

realy bright durrable

battery

The XC is a very nice light.

I can make replacement nightsun batteries. They would cost about 80.00 bucks. They would be 4.5 AH nicad. Wich is more powerfull than nightsuns stock batteries. I can make them into a a pack that will fit in a water bottle cage. You would be able to charge the pack with your standard nightsun charger. However you would halft to attach your connetor form your dead water bottle battery. I'm thinking of putting them on ebay. I can also make 4 AH nimh batteries that fit in your pocket.

Anyone intresed?? Email me.

Pat LaRoue   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 04, 1999]
Strength:

Brightness that lights up the trail. Durability. Looks. Ease of installation.

Toggle power switch could use some type of quick release mechanism that would attach it to my handle bars without the use of zap straps or velcro.

I am very happy with the purchase of my Nightsun XC's. Performance wise, for over two years, they have always done the job. Pure power, battery life and ease of installation.
On the single track at night, the low beam does the a great job. Get into a tight spot, thumb switch to the high beam and bam... 45 watts of pure sun! Hey, the guys I ride with love the fact that I light-up the trail for them.
In a recent mishap, I needed a replacement part. Contacted the Nightsun tech rep by e-mail on Saturday of the Easter long weekend. To my surprise, he got back to me within the hour letting me know that the part was on its way, free of charge. Once again I was reassured that I made the right call going with Nightsun.
I'm the Director of Service & Support for a large personal computer manufacturer. And hey, I've delt with customer 'issues' before. Nightsun customer service did as much as possible to see that I was back out on trails asap. There's nothing more I could of asked for. That's why I went with the best!

Similar Products Used: BLT's;
Sam Lowe   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 06, 1999]
Strength:

1. Reliablity and simplicity.2. Ni-Cad battery and charger system allow human error mistakes - like time I left it charging for two weeks!3. Bright as nuclear fireball.

1. Ugly, Ugly, Ugly!2. Mounting straps will break at some point.3. Connector is cheesy, but no problems yet.4. Too much high end power - can't use the high beam very long. Needs to be 10 / 15 / 20 maybe?5. Did I mention it was ugly?

I have had the NiteSun Team for about 4 years. It has been very reliable and very bright when I needed it. I have used it a lot and it has held up well. However, from other reviews I am glad I have not needed NiteSun customer service (knock on wood).Favorite story - came in late from road ride in total darkness. A pickup truck started to turn left across in front of me. I flashed the high beam at him and he locked up the brakes. Feel the Power! I prefer to use it on the trails at night, but every bit of respect that you can get on the road is so sweet!

Similar Products Used: Only one I have tried. I am going to buy a NiteRider Head Trip. I think there products are more advanced with the nmh battery and digital control. Also seem to have the edge on customer service.
Joe Coty   weekend warrior [Sep 25, 1998]

I've owned the team issue dual headlight model for nearly 7 years. At the time this purchase approached the value of my bike, but it quickly justified its price. It casts a motorcycle like beam that instills confidence to ride in either heavy traffic or back country. Most light systems I've tried like Cateye are proportionately more expensive as they only help to be seen but leave the cyclist squinting for potholes and other obstructions. Not so with the Night Sun. I can relax and enjoy the ride at normal speeds. It has never left me stranded as the run times are consistant. I wish I could say the same for my camcorder, laptop, and cell phone batteries. I rarely start my ride in the dark reserving the hour of high beam for coming home. On occasion when I get lost, switching to low beam promises twice the run time at higher lumens than other sytems on their high setting. Though I really like the luxury high beam affords. Few purchases have worked as dependably up to my expectations as the Night Sun. I reflect fondly on my savvy in selecting this light system.

Bryan   racer [Jul 25, 1997]

I love my Team Max. Never had a problem. I night ride a lot and they've never winked out. They're also bright enough to make crickets stop chirping. I just don't like the switch.

Jeff Michel   cross-country rider [Jun 10, 1996]

I bought 2 of these lights and must say the beam is great. The durability and reliabilty, well, It Sucks! I've been out on a road ride and had Both connections come loose. After trying to deal with the company, I gave up! They came up with all sorts of lame stuff like road biking in harder on equipment and we never had that problem before. If you must have the Beam what I did was to solder the connections to the bulb and rewire the switch for high, low or off. Better than this would be a four way with the combo as well for over 40 miles per hr. on rutted single track (with boulders and large animals). Otherwise I would look to some other manufacturer for reliabilty and think about what it's like to be out in bum#$% with no headlight, not a pick up in site and it's getting cold.

Khanh Dinh   cross-country rider [Jun 03, 1996]

I just recently purchased a team max as my second light. My first light was a Gwiz Ultra Death Ray. This light is a fireroad light! This thing shines really far away. Luckily, I don't have any horror stories to tell about this light. I think this light is a true high performance light by definition of the term. It is light, effective, and fragile. It's only purpose is to provide light for a bicyclist. It has no other purpose. I've run into people who have had problems with the wiring and have found out that they do not unplug the system by the plug, but rather by the cord. Granted a Niterider can take this abuse with no problems, not so with nightsun. it was never meant to take that kind of abuse; this may most likely be from the fact that it does not come from a different background such as the niterider. the niterider is built to take abuse, after all, it was designed for search and rescue and scuba diving. As a handlebar light, i think this is a good light. I! don't think i would like nightsun's helmet light. I use a niterider cyclops for that. can you say laser beam?