JetLites Single Beam Older Lights

Single Beam

JET Lites Single Beam

Jeremy Harvey   Cross Country Rider [Sep 20, 2000]
Strength:

Durability, Reliability, and Value (should be their motto).

Haven't found any yet, but still trying.

I don't know why I'm writing this review. Read all of the reviews that follow. This light ROCKS. I am satisfied with just a 12W single beam helmet mount.

If you are racing alot, go ahead and get the whole package (12W on Helmet, 20W on bars, all with wireless infrared control.) You'll be finished buying lights for the duration of your riding life.

I priced out NiMH batteries when building my home-made light. Jet is selling their batteries at just above cost (11 batteries x ~$10 plus the wiring and molded connectors.) This is a VERY good value for a NiMH system.

Similar Products Used: Home-made rig that stranded me in the middle of a race.
Keith   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2001]
Strength:

Very bright (white) light and wide beam pattern; handlebar clamp is secure. Customer Service at Jet is excellent.

run-time not great

I am running a single 20W Jet light on the handlebar. So far, I have been very pleased with the bright, white light and nice wide beam pattern (covers alot of ground). Run-time is not the greatest considering that a full charge on the Nimh water bottle battery only gets me about an hour and 15 minutes for the single 20W beam. Not a huge problem - excellent lights, otherwise.

Similar Products Used: Nightrider Digital
Charles Coker   Cross Country Rider [Dec 07, 2000]
Strength:

bright, great pattern, great company

Jet Designs are the best, period, end of discussion
I have tried all the others, they just pale in comparison (no pun intended)
I run a 20w helmet mount in technical terrain with lots of rocks and dropoffs, can ride at the same blistering pace (a joke) as during the day
I have been out on the trail with others with other lights and my Jet is WAY brighter, I sometimes will mess with people by letting them ride in front of me and then watch them ride and gauge their speed with my light helping them and seeing the contrast beteen mine and theirs, it's funny to then get in front of them and drop the hammer and they struggle to keep up, not because I am faster really I just have superior lighting which allows me to go faster...

all my close riding buds use the same setup and are very happy with the setup

Jim at Jet Designs (owner/designer) is a class act and I feel good about giving him business.

Charles Coker
hammerheadbikes.com

btw, I am not trying to sell you Jet lights, try to get your LBS to order a set in for you and then let them check it out, if they have 1/2 a brain they will start stocking them...

ride hard

Similar Products Used: you name it
Paul Pinella   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2000]
Strength:

Overall construction and quality, brightness of light, manufacturer integrity

Handlebar mount when used on hi-rise bar

I purchased a single light this year from Jet lights this year. I'm glad I did. It's a 12 watt beam driven by a nickel metal hydride flat battery pack that fits in my back pack. I got both handlebar and the helmet mount, and for me, the helmet mount is better. The light beam follows my head wherever I look and it's very, very bright. I'd say its the equivalent of a car headlight beam.

This baby was far from cheap. I spent nearly $200 on the setup. But the dealing with the California company that makes this product over the Internet has been a pleasure.

I originally went with a cage mount for the battery, but exchanged it for the flat battery equivalent. By going this route, I can use the lights almost anywhere, including on my road bike or on skates at night. I even used it the other night to put down fertilizer on my lawn!

The new quick release handlebar mount is well made. But on my bike with the Monkeybar hi-rise, I didn't like the way the light was pitched at an angle. If you've got a straight bar, it should be fine. But because of the angle, plus the fact I really like to keep my bike clean, I'm not using it anymore. Anyway, I found the helmet mount to be superior.

Similar Products Used: Old fashioned generators
David Mayes   Weekend Warrior [Aug 17, 2000]
Strength:

effective light,low wight, reliable except for chargers

went through two bad battery chargers, not easy to aim the light because of mounting design, battery gauge is very expensive(did not purchase)

Good systems with light weight battery, check to see that the charger works before you buy.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Vista (2-5 years old)
Rebecca Cardin   [Jun 06, 2000]
Strength:

Plenty of light

Couldn't list any

I am completely satisfied with this light, the price and the company itself. The owner went more than the extra mile to help me out. He explained the use of the headlight and the bar light and what he thought were the pros and cons of each setup. He had it shipped to me the next day and told me to try it out and call and let him know what I thought. I am looking forward to upgrading what I have. When you talk to him, you feel like you are talking to an old buddy. Great product, great company!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: NiteRider
Rico   Weekend Warrior [Jun 02, 2000]
Strength:

BRIGHT,BRIGHT,BRIGHT !!!! Quality Construction, backed by the best small? company you will EVER find !!!

Never going to find one....

The first night I went out on a commute to work , cars were dimmign there headlights, and waiting for me to pass before they merged . INCREDABLE !!!!! The purest WHITE LIGHT I have seen, in the sweetest beam pattern. I was hitting 75 foot tree tops across a 4 lane road with median !! forze a deer in his tracks.. I laughed all the way to work in amazement and the effects of this light on others.. Reflecting off street signs so far away I can't read them..
I now look forward to the ride at night, I evan took a side trail thru the woods and felt like day time...Plus the company really cares about YOU and your satisfaction, the OWNER answers the phone when you call !!! I quote a fav song of mine when I thing of this light..." I've got sunshine on a cloudy day ...."

Similar Products Used: Cat Eye Hyper Halogen , Trek , and a few cheap others.
CSPU   [Apr 19, 2000]
Strength:

BRIGHT!!

Handle bar mount not easily adjusted

When I bought the lights I thought they were a bit pricey... well worth the money. I can see! Cars dim their lights when they are coming at me. Run forever on a charge (well maybe not forever, but a week anyhow).

Similar Products Used: Nothing else comes close... I have used Vistalite HYP 10 Nightstick.
Craig Young   Weekend Warrior [Mar 02, 2000]
Strength:

Bright, easy to use, reliable.I have the bar mount 12W single. It is an excellent choice for commuters and nighttime roadies.

Does not come with a smart charger.

This is one, bright, white light! Using the bar mount 12W single. More than I need for the routes I commute on, which are half lit by street lights, half not.

For people who bike commute, I highly recommend this light. Plenty of light for road use.

tom   Cross Country Rider [Feb 14, 2000]
Strength:

Bright like u r staring at the Sun
Ligtweight battery and bulb
Durable
The company CARES about customers and really kicks arse in General, I can't say enough about them

cost's too much in canada
battery takes a while to charge

seriously I can't say enough about the lights or the company. well first of all I ordered em for the hardwood hills race. they didn't arrive at my LBS in time (bad shipping company) but the company told me that they'd have a light system at their booth charged and ready to go, and they came through. It was fully charged and I rode them for the first time in the 24 hour race. Well they were bright as hell and my lap times were no slower so that tells you something. Onto the light, it is really all you need unless you do shore riding or DH at night. everything is really well thought out, including the thing that attaches the light to the helmet. the battery does take 18 hours to charge, longer than most, but if you start charging it just before you go to bed, then it'd done when you get home from work or school so no problems. BUY IT!!!