CatEye Micro-Halogen Head Light Older Lights

Micro-Halogen Head Light

Cat Eye Micro-Halogen Head Light

John Tye   Racer [Sep 12, 2007]
Strength:

Wow - I used this light off road once in a very great while. Really just had it for in case. Light is very bright. Anyone saying an LED is brighter would be incorrect. Had a friend tell me his 5 LED light was brighter. It did lay down a nice bright white light but mine reached much, much farther. After our ride I asked him to point up to the top of trees and you could barely tell a light was shining on it. Mine could still reach 30-40 ft. up in the trees like a flashlight. Buy the way - I'll believe an LED is Brighter than a Halogen when they start putting LEDs on the headlights of cars.

Battery life would be it's only weekness. That is the price you pay for brighter.

I like this light so much rather than spending the money for a brandnew LED I just a minute ago purchased a second mount for my FUJI so I could just use this same light for night riding this season.

Similar Products Used: n/a
Scotty   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2001]
Strength:

really bright, awesome clamp, exellent value for the money

not quite bright enough alone for off road, oh yea one time I got a flat tire and hit a curb really fast and it flew apart that's all

Well it was a little dim for off road so I bought another one and I have bad @$$ dual lights. Lots of light and they have always worked perfectly for me except that weird time one of them flew apart when I had a flat tire. The best light for the money.

Similar Products Used: this other crappy light, I forgot what it's called but it sucked
Justin Kanfield   Weekend Warrior [Mar 08, 2002]
Strength:

I THINK this is what I have...
Bright as all get out. It's brighter than my car's headlights, and people start screaming when I get too close to them sometimes. Easy setup(is there a headlight that's hard to set up?), and it doesn't fall off. Also, no annoying screws in the battery case

Batteries are still insanly difficult to replace, and they have to be replaced way too often. And 4 of them, at that. I need a crowbar to get the bottom ones out.

Definitly high quality. Horrible economy, though. The battery thing takes one hot dog off the score.

Similar Products Used: Some crappy Bell thing that fell apart.
Jeff   [Oct 06, 2001]
Strength:

360 vis takes advantage (a little) of the light that normally escapes the reflector so that's pretty cool I guess. It also swivels a little so you're not aiming your beam 2 feet left of center. Pretty good price.

Like other little lights it eats batteries like a bull-dog eating a porkchop.

Good little light for dawn and dusk especially around traffic. It serves as more of a safety device to show pedestrians and cars that there "is a little light coming my way". Wouldn't recommend for riding in total darkness or off-road, I don't think this light was designed for that. It is very easy to take on and off the bike.

Similar Products Used: VistaLite Road Toad. This is a terrible light in my opinion. I gave my wife my old one and one day she asked me if I was trying to kill her. The lever that holds the light to the mount snapped off very easily it is cheap piece of trash. I use the Cateye Micro on all of my bikes now.
Ken Bessler   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2000]
Strength:

BRIGHT!! Easy mount system, Uses battery pack inserts (so you can carry spare sets) and can feed power through it's
mount system, Lens polarazation can be rotated 90 degrees,
Low cost ($18).

Current use kinda high (500maH) so it'll kill a set of AA's
pretty quick (3-4 hours) - but I'm being picky....

This is a great product (what else from CatEye?) If you want
a good light (not a toy) but don't want to spend a fourtune,
just get one or two of these. I got two, mounting them on my handlebar ends. The quick disconnect allows me to use them as flashlights in a pinch. As for the intensity of the beam, just think FLAMETHROWER..... :)

Similar Products Used: Glow in the dark keypad on my TV remote.
András   Racer [Mar 21, 2001]
Strength:

Good focus, quite bright, as long as it works. Uses AA cells, and just 4 of them (not 5 like some Sigma).

Bad contacts. Short battery life, forces you to use rechargeables, but then the battery indicator is a nuisance (well, basically useless). Worst of all, it tends to turn itself off occasionally.

Very good design, but I could do without the battery indicator, which would also save space. Some weeknesses with the contacts (all of them), but overall good for the price. Three for overall rating because it turns itself off in the wrong moment, making your ride anything but safe (note that you can't see the light has gone unless you lean forward!).

Nick Samuel   Weekend Warrior [Feb 20, 2001]
Strength:

Worth a look if you only want a better than average road lamp.
Excellent bullit proof quality as you would expect from Cateye. Well worth buying the additional power supply kit ( used 4 D cells) which extends battery life from 2 hours to approx 8 hours.
Cheap to buy - I only paid £14.95 for both Hl500II & power supply kit via a mail order Company.

Two replacement bulbs cost nearly as must as the whole kit!!
Limited off road use.

Good value for money but dont expect to use this lamp off road unless you are mad!!!

Similar Products Used: Specialized vegas - Bright yellow piece of junk!
lo_dee   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2000]
Strength:

Long lasting light for using AA's. Good mounting bracket. Easily adjustable/removable. Pretty white light.

Not enough light for serious off-roading with speed. But this product definitely works for road-riding.

This is the best of the cheap lights! I bought it as my first light and it worked for road riding and slow XC. I now have a 6/15 Watt set and use the Cateye in the middle as a great spot light 6 ft in front to help add a more focused light directly in front. This light outlasts my $150 Can. set for battery life, and is what I use to get me home on the road after the XC portion. It has also been in a pretty nasty spill and suffered no damage. Good light, great price for mild riding.

Similar Products Used: I have a BLT 6/15 W light system that I use for the rough stuff. I bought the Cateye first and it worked, I just had to go slower.
Steve   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2000]

This review is for the HL-MC200, which is the newest revision of the standard Cat Eye 4 AA-cell halogen light.

Finally Cat Eye has fixed the fundamental design flaw in this light. The battery cover used to be on the back of the light, and the slide switch for the light was mounted on it. This meant that the cover would often slide off when you switched the light off -- and as it wore it would start coming off over large bumps. Plus the light was very heavy due to the slide-out battery carrier.

The new version fixes this. The whole top of the light slides off and the switch is a pushbutton on the back. No cover ejections, and the light weighs much less.

The light itself is excellent. It kicks butt on any 2 C-cell light and completely destroys the 4 AA-cell Road Toad. The beam is wide enough to see the road in front of me and still light up road signs. It's not just a warning for cars, you can actually *see things* with this light. I get about two hours out of a set of 4 NiMH batteries.

The light can easily swivel side to side, so I have to straighten it occasionally. But unlike the Road Toad the mounts don't wear down and start rattling after two weeks. They also don't mark battery orientation well, so it may take you a couple tries before it turns on.

I'm extremely happy with this light. It serves me well for my daily commute and I don't have to worry about people stealing a $120 system off my bike every time I park. Five chilis for value, minus one for side play and shortish battery life.

Roti Chanai   Weekend Warrior [Jul 27, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap and good value for money. Reasonable bightness.

This product is good only for casual city use. Mine has occasional problems of blacking out - may due to poor insulation against water/rain/moisture

It is cheap and provide reasonable performance. I don't like to ride at night too much and this will serve my occasional night riding.