BLT Lights Lights Older Lights

BLT Lights Lights Older Lights

BLT Light Systems

[Oct 04, 2008]
Inigo Questa

Strength:

Light weight. Easy toremove when parked up. Bright. Decent runtime. Swivel heads.

None so far. Even the battery is pretty light for a lead acid.

The instructions suggest you wouldn't use the 6w when you are using the 15w. I find the 6w is good for illuminating the foreground while the 15w picks out the distance. I only travel around 45 minutes on completely unlit track on a 2 hour run, so mostly just have the 6w on. Still plenty of juice in the battery at the end. As the lams are designed to hang below the bars, little risk of damage and no need to remove when fixing punctures. They beat the cateye any day Only four chillies for overall rating as there are better lights watt for watt (e.g. Nightflux) but they are a lot more expensive.

Cateye triple shot.

[Nov 29, 2001]
Robert

Strength:

Easy mounting, quick release is great, switches work well.

Light pattern is way to weak. Even with 15 watts it is not as bright as Vista Light night stick.

This light is weak. I checked the light pattern on another page and bought it because of the great light pattern.

Well the light pattern I got is way weaker than what I saw. It does give a large light pattern but not bright enough to ride without a helmet light. The exposure time of the photo made it brighter than it really is.

The 10 watt has a big black dot right in the middle of the light pattern. 5 watt is so weak it adds nothing to the light pattern.

Riding usuing just this light I have to slow down to much.

IF you use this light make sure you get a helmet light like the Vista Light Night Stick which has a great spot beam (Vista has a smaller beam pattern but way brighter)

For the bucks it is a nicely made system. Having ridden in Ontario Canada before I am familar with Canadian products.

any light system

[Feb 11, 2002]
Robert

Strength:

Easy installation and maintenance.
Excellent lumination with 10W bulb.
Excellent batter life.

Zilch.

I bought this light at least 6 years ago. There was a period where I didn't touch light/battery for 3 years, and without charging the battery I used the setup for 1-1/2 hours in the trails and it still was shining bright! The 10W bulb is great for the North Shore; even at -5C in the snow, the battery lasts for hours. I recently purchased another 15W light (for high beam), and not only does the combo light bring daylight to the woods, with both lights on the burn time is about an hour and a half. Oh, and my older light has no switch cover, and I've never had a problem. Rain, mud, crashes - it just keeps on working. Great recommendation from Cove Bikes - they rock!

Cats Eye

[Jan 04, 2000]
Dan
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Light and compact are added bonuses. Awesome light output. Canadian. Non-American

Crappy rubber switches come off to easily. Re-charge time for the battery

Great system for the cost. I use my lights about 3 nights a week and they light up the trails and roads

[Apr 04, 1999]
Aids
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Lost of light. I use a 6 watt and 15 watt hndelbar light. The 6 watt is usually enough light except for the really technical stuff where th 15 is enough.

Hard to mount the water bottle style battery on some bikes (Trek VRX 300). I have also had problems with the fuses.

Great lights for the value. Stand up great in all weather and the have more than enough power. I don't see why people would want more. I see guys with five lights on their bikes! Why don't you sketchers ride in the day if you need that much light! Lately I have had a lot of problems with the fuses burning out. I think it is the batteries fault. Before you buy them, make sure that your shop will take care of these problems should they occur.

[May 01, 1999]
Clive
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

After owning my BLT light system for over 7 years, I've finally had to replace the SLA (sealed lead acid) waterbottle style battery. This longevity and reliability is indicative of the quality of BLT's entire system. With respect to convenience, you can't beat the waterbottle style battery - particularly if you do night cycling several times a week.My dual-light BLT system is so bright, that my bicycle is often mistaken for a motorcycle as I'm cycling along roads and city streets. What more could you ask for. If you can't find BLT's web-page, do a search using their distributor's name - NORCO.

SLA battery weights more than similar NiCd battery but SLA's do not exhibit the memory effect observed in NiCd's.

BLT lights are dependable, easy to install, powerful, and a competitively priced (with respect to other 6-12 volt lighting systems).

[Oct 29, 1997]
Norbert Perk
cross-country rider

Hallo,I cannot give you a review on BLT lights, because I'm still not using them.
I'm looking for 6 Volt halogen lighting with 10-30 watts. I have already
a 6 Volt 10 Ah Battery, so I only need bulb, reflector and something to fix it
on my bike.
On Euobike'97 trade fare in Friedrichshafen/Germany I found BLT lights. The German distributor is 'Zweirad Stötzle' in Leutkirch, my local dealer is tri-bike in Ravensburg.
At tri-bike I found only a complete BLT-Light-System including battery and charger. The selling price (330 DEM about 200 US$) is much too expensive, because I don't need a battery in a bottle and a charger.How can I buy only the BLT-lights without battery? How much would it cost?regards,
Norbert

[Jun 08, 2001]
David

Strength:

Canadian Made
Price
So bloody bright for 10W

Battery was dead when I bought it. Customer service was great and had it replaced within a week throught the bike store

I bought these lights because they were Canadian made and had great reviews off of this site. I had heard of the problems with the batteries and so was a little bit cautious, but they seemed like the best deal out there and they were such a great price (considering how much you can pay...) When I got mine, the battery was dead, but had it exchanged quickly for a brand new one, no questions asked. The BLT light guy responds to his email really quickly and is very helpful. If you want a good light and don't want to put out 200+ dollars, I suggest taking a look at the BLT firefly. Great little headlamp with some strong power. Straps well to the helmet and the battery is hardly noticeable in a backpack.

NADA

[Mar 02, 2001]
Lee Neville

Strength:

Good light with a smart lighting area. Good battery, charge it and forget it.

none so far, may have to ovalize the ends so they dont become accidently pulled free on the trail. You should have fault tolerance with any type of light you buy anyways. Tape the connections together if need be.

Great lights. Canadian made. I have had no problems with switches as others may have. Routinely ride well below freezing and they perform great. The way they mount is certainly different and looks like it may be a weak spot but trust me, the mounting system works. No hassle once you have them where you want them. Get an old bike tube if they dont fit your bars. The light beam isnt adjustable but the way they have designed the seeep it doesnt have to be. Really good lights I think.

Vistalites

[Feb 27, 2001]
lo_dee

Strength:

Great light spectrum. Excellent mounts. Strong cabling and switches. Good burn time. Low price.

Big bottle battery. Slow charging 10-12 hours.

These lights have given me an extended riding season. Just because the sun sets earlier in the winter doesn't mean you can't ride fast and with confidence at night! These lights give a bright light that is very broad with no dark spots. I ride mostly using the 6 watt until I hit a hairy section then the 15 watt leaves nothing to chance. I can decend fast, and with the broad beam cornering isn't totally blind (although a head lamp is still better for turning overall). If you want a quality light setup, you can't go wrong with these. I have ridden them in -15 C with windchill and they still perform. Cabling is strong with good connectors and the switches are easily accessible and have worked great despite what others have whined about. Made by a Canadian company that knows our climate. The burn times are accurate on the Norco site. I routinely go for 2hours and don't have to worry about riding home in darkness.

Cateye micro-halogen