Giro Switchblade Older Helmets

• Coolmax Pads
  • 2XS/XS, S/M, L/XL

• User Reviews (69)

bryantracy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 24, 2010]
    Strength:

I crashed at 40 km/hr. In hospital for two nights. No head injury. Six ribs, one collar bone. No head injury.

Perfect for morning commute when weather is cool. Warm in winter. Some rain protection. OK in summer except when beasty hot

None. If anyone knows of a replacement product, I will buy you a beer.

Permanent search going on eBay trying to find another

Similar Products Used: I had 3 Switchblades. Crashed one, lost two. Looking for another.
    Jim   Cross Country Rider [Jul 16, 2003]
    Strength:

Well vented, security of knowing you have that little extra protection (lets you push yourself over harder riding), not to forget the added protection over most standard bike helmets, versitility

Flimsy visor (broke off on simple crash), $h!tty padding (poor sweat absorbtion, not all too comfy), rubs my head at the center of my forehead and middle of the back of my head... probally my oddly shaped head though)

A good helmet if you don't mind giving a little comfort for a added security... I find when I am not concerned about what my grill will look like in my next interview, I push myself harder and over more difficult terrain. Good if you got the cash.

Similar Products Used: Bell w/o chin plate
    The Beast   Downhiller [Jul 08, 2003]
    Strength:

It gives ok protection
    Good venting
    Light
    Removable faceplate
    One of the only helmets that fits my large head

protection not as good as some full face
    Kinda pricey

Well...I did a nice face plant into the dirt I hit really hard and all I ended up with was a couple scratches on the face (the rest of me was quite f**ked up). If giro made faceguard bigger, farther away form the face and made it fiberglass or carbon fiber I would have had nothing on my face and the face guard might have not cracked. I cant really complain though because it really saved my ass and I can get a replacement fo cheap.

Similar Products Used: Other full face and xc helmets
    Jamie Shankland   Downhiller [Feb 25, 2002]
    Strength:

You can ride around in the top piece witch fits exactly like a hammerhead. Its looks cooler with the black pieces on the head piece.

Rattles around on my head, doesnt fit like a full face at all. Goggles dont fit well. Face guard is way too flexy. Way to much money,

The switchblade is for you if your rich, dont do alot of hard riding, dont value your face at all, etc. If you race DH or do alot of hard core stuff. save a hundred bucks and buy a Mad Max. After 2 concussions in my Switchblade, Giro doesnt want to warenteee it at all. buy a durable helmet!!!

Similar Products Used: Mad Max, Bell thingy, Garnau
    Mr Dirtbag   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2002]
    Strength:

-Light
    -Much cheaper than the dentist if u crash
    -It don't look dorky
    -Indestructible

Flippin straps R drivin me battty!!! can't get the damn plastic doo-icky in the back to stay centered, hence straps flip flop around my ears and it makes me want to pull a Vincent Van Gogh!!!! Also, depending on the weather (i.e. when real hot & been ridin in the sun), sometimes have 2 fakin fiddle with the screws to put in the blade, seems like the plastic takes in a bit of the heat & the slight changes makes it not-okeli-dokely to screw the last screw in

'tis a good helmet, love Giro's, have only changed helmets (always had Giros) because the old ones look 2 goofy after a while. i've crashed many times, and never busted my Giros. Switchblade is flippin better than eating through a straw for 2 months if u crash, & it don't look dorky. Kinda feel like Goldorack when I wear it (especially in the shower) This is a very good melon protector...buy one monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: -plastic bucket
    -girlfriends underwear
    -duct tape
    -weed
    CJ   Weekend Warrior [Feb 20, 2002]
    Strength:

Nice tight feel. Doesn't move around on your head at all. Great Fit.... did I mention the great fit?!

Visor doesn't adjust as much as I'd hope.

First saw this helmet on a guy at my favorite trail. He'd just gotten it and was happy to show me the helmet... then he showed me his jaw was still wired up from his last crash where he simply fell of the bike but landed his jaw on a rock. That was enough for me. I'm not that good where I don't crash. Hell I crash a lot. I got the helmet and so far I am pleased. Lighter than a normal full face and with plenty of vents.. cheaper that getting your jaw re-wired too!

Similar Products Used: Various XC helmets, Bell, Giro, Walmart...
    Godlike DHR   Downhiller [Feb 16, 2003]
    Strength:

good light helmet which has the advantage oftaking the face guard off. Also good for summer riding because it so many vents

not much padding and easily cracks. Mine cracked all the way down the back but it was a harse crash

Great helmet for summer use but for racing and all year round use its better to get something stonger. I ahve know recently invested in a tld D2 which is an amazing helmet.

Similar Products Used: other giro's
    John   Weekend Warrior [Dec 13, 2001]
    Strength:

Great fitting, great looking. Gives you more confidence when bombing down technical sections. Keeps your face warm when riding in the cold.

May be heavy? Not in issue for me. May be hot during the summer.

The bottom line is this Giro should protect you from facial crashes. It's not meant for downhill as it indicates by Giro. I ride mostly xc and the type of trails I ride on, it's easy to fall flat on your face. Weight is not an issue for me. Since I just recently purchased this helmet, it's been working great in the NY cold weather. I'm sure it will get warmer in the summer but there are enough vents to push air in on the downhills. Get this helmet if want more protection. My friends call me a "storm trooper" and they probably think that it looks ridicious. Protection comes first..hell with what they all say.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Air Banshee, Bell helmet
    Lonnie   Downhiller [Oct 15, 2002]
    Strength:

It looks good and it is light....

It is weak....the first day I tried it I jump and went over my handle bar and landed on it which resulted in it being cracked it in half. IT also just doesnt feel good on your head.

This helment is great for XC biker or just someone messing around town doing some freeriding but I wouldnt trust it for going fast.

Dave Davies   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2004]
    Strength:

Very comfortable, nice and airy. Just that little bit of added protection over a XC helmet but with all the comfort. Fits well and is really comfortable. High quality construction, excelent shock absortion.

1. Price. It is pretty expensive
    2. THEY STOPPED MAKING IT ! ! !
    I am soooo gutted that they stopped makig this helmet but apparently it was becuase of weakness number 1. I managed to get another one from a supplier that had some old stock..
    3. Doesnt absorb sweat from your forehead very well. I get drips running down my face.

I bought this helmet about 3 or 4 months ago and loved it. Last weekend I went endo off a jump down a hill and my 45 pound bighit came crashing down the hill after me and the main top tube smashed me in the head. when it hit me I felt the helmet absorb the impact, aside from being a little dazed I was totally fine. The helmet was mush but my melon was totally sweet. Worth every single penny becuase this helmet saved my life.
    Its a real shame that they have discontinued them but apparently they were just too expensive for them to sell as many of them as they would have liked recently.
    I managed to find one but I will be very careful with this one as I know I wont be able to get another.

Similar Products Used: Skate lids...