Giro Semi Older Helmets

This low-profile helmet was built for progressive riders who want extra coverage. The in-mold design gives it extra strength without sacrificing weight. 12 vents keep our nugget cool. Weight 12oz / 340g

Lance   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2003]
Strength:

Super Light, Well ventilated, nice visor, more protection than regular helmets.

Doesn't have 1,000 vents like regular MTB helmets?

Call me crazy but I never liked the regular mountain bike helmets. All the vents are nice but they always looked sort of dorky to me. I was actually about to give in since my 661 Mullet helmet was like wearing a sauna and I never really felt safe in it. Then I stumbled on the Semi. I have the one with the visor. Despite getting the black- the only color available, it is very cool and seems to ventilate a million times better than my 661.

Visor is very durable and does its job and I love the back of the head protection. Makes me want to jump off things(duh, dirt jumping helmet). It is extremely light and I can barely feel it after a while.

It does get hot but I think any helmet would in the SoCal 100 degree summer heat. As far as looks go, it looks as good as any open face helmet can. Dumb sticker on back but take it off if you don't like it.

I highly recommend this helmet for freeriding, urban assault, dirt jumping, and even cross country if you don't mind switchin the dufus helmet for this nice piece of work. Love it and its cheap! Go buy it!

Similar Products Used: 661 Mullet, Bell Rythm Pro full face, Skull.
Paul   [Feb 06, 2002]
Strength:

Good fit. Cool shape.

Maybe a little slim on padding.

I found this helmet on clearance at the local REI and snatched it up. I was surprised it fit, as I couldn't cram my noggin into a similar Pro-Tec lid I received for Christmas. Later purchased a Bell Rhythm Pro which is serious, comfortable protection. Wanted a potty style for messing around while not intimidating the local joggers with my full-on full-face. The Giro fits the bill.

Similar Products Used: Pro-Tec
Adam   Weekend Warrior [Feb 16, 2004]
Strength:

Great Giro Fit, Super Stylie, Amazing coverage, Price, Good Padding system, It's a Giro

Stupid Sticker on back, ????????, Mine didn't come with a visor

Super Good coverage saved my skull at Sundance- Probably would've died. Great for stickers. Amazing all around use for freeriding, trailriding, Super good price, Do yourself a favor and ditch your roadie style helmet and get the Semi. Your Wallet and head will thank you. Giro is the King of Helmets.

Similar Products Used: Giro E2, Pryme
Rob   Weekend Warrior [Nov 17, 2001]
Strength:

they say its light in the adverts and it really is, I don't notice i'm wearing it, it really is like wearing your favorite hat. Ventilation is good on it but it also seem to keep my head warm in the cold english climate. Its super comfy and the fit is second to none and oh my god does it look super cool, it even has a place for your goggle strap. It also protects your head really well so we can't complain can we!

mine didn't come with a peak like the new semi-mx, it did look like a mushroom on my head at first but don't all helmets of this style. this isn't a helmet for xc boys either, it feels more at home at your local trails.

The most comfortable helmet thats got bags of style just like the one and only steve peat who uses it. A worthy buy which i'll never regret buying.

Similar Products Used: specilized "air cut"
Aki   Weekend Warrior [Aug 01, 2003]
Strength:

Stylish, light, comfortable, easy to change padding (thick too!)

What's with the decal on the back LOL

Very light yet comfortable. The extra support on the back is so much nicer compared with other regular helmets. There are three paddings that are about 1/4" thick that supports the top, front & the back of your head comfortably. You get extra padding for front & back which is held securely via velcro if you decide to wash them or replace them.

The visor that comes with the helmet is secure by two plastic screws on the side & adjustable screw in the front so you can tilt the angle. Compared with Exdous' visor, it's more sturdy and don't have to worry about it coming down. The chin straps are comfortable as well & feels very secure.

I highly recommend this helmet for anyone!!! Especially if you're doing freeriding, trials, or any urban assaults, the style, the safety, and the quality is excellent!

Similar Products Used: Giro Exodus
Kurt   Weekend Warrior [Feb 25, 2003]
Strength:

more protective coverage then xc lids . no weak retention system to irritate or break . very comfortable . straps fit well . can crossover to many other summer sports .

ventalation isnt quite what an e2 or other xc/mountain will provide , but that price is paid for more protection .

helmet is good head trauma is bad . one of the best fitting lids ive tried . the front lip sits low enough to catch most sweat from dribbling into my eyes , something my other helmets failed at . the 3/4 coverage eliminates the flimsy/break prone retention systems i hate from the 1/2 lid designs . provides more protection then xc/mountain helmets . design not limited to biking . if you want a little extra protection in a lightweight helmet that wont go flying off or disintigrate the first hit it takes this is your lid . me like ... give good rating .

Similar Products Used: bell x ray . specialized enduro .
Andrew Cohen   Weekend Warrior [Dec 11, 2002]
Strength:

Great padding, lightweight, comfortable, nice looking

Great product and real good for extra protection and all around helmet

Similar Products Used: none
Mithrandir   Weekend Warrior [Mar 26, 2002]
Strength:

Fits snug and secure and is comfy. Covers more of the head than a normal bike helmet especially in the back. Straps are easy to setup and it doesn't hurt to wear the chin strap tight. Great styling. Visor attaches with thumbscrews and doesn't feel flimsy.

Not as cool as a hyper-ventilated XC helmet, but better than a Pro-Tec or TSG. Only comes in black (Semi MX).

The Giro Semi MX scores high for fit and comfort and I always wear it whenever I bike or sk8. I sometimes didn't wear my crappy Pro-Tec when I skated, but now I don't have an excuse not to wear a helmet at all times. Since you can use the Semi for both bike and sk8, it saves you money by having one helmet for both. As a bonus, it doesn't make you look like a dork which is important if you have sk8r friends who get on your case for wearing a helmet.

Similar Products Used: Pro-Tec Ace, Giro Exodus
Will Norton   Downhiller [May 28, 2002]
Strength:

really light and stong,I have droped it heaps and dosen't break

only that i forget that it is on

It is the best hellmate I have ever had.If you are look for a light helmat that looks good and works good get this one.

Similar Products Used: Heaps of wierd ones
Mookdawg   [Aug 05, 2001]
Strength:

~The first thing i noticed about this helmet is that it is as light as Giro's famed E2. This is really good for this urban, dirt jumping, freeride helmet. Also, it ventilates better than my former Pro Tec, and TSG, way better, no sweat clogging your vision while bombing down technical single track.
~The fit is another plus, after you put it on your head, it stays there, I've had problems with SK8 stlye helmets in the past, but this helmet stays snuggly in place, even with out the Roc Loc 3, that is on most of Giro's other helmets.
~3rd thing, this helmet looks awesome, they (giro) say it's new school, but new school or not, it got looks to kill. And it must, because the one and only Randy Spangler wears it. Not that this should be your sole reason for purchasing the lid, but it's still a cool little fact I thought I'd throw in.
~This helmet does not mess up your vision, another deffinate plus.
~Feels like you're wearing a hat (as they say in the ad)

~A little big
~Look takes a little gettting used to at first, but once you do, you'll love it.

A really good helmet, light, you don't notice it.