Giro Helios Older Helmets

Giro Helios

Stan Hung   Weekend Warrior [Sep 09, 2002]
Strength:

Comfi, airly

weight

It feel little bit heavier on the back than the front, otherwise it is a comfortable and good looking Helmet.

Similar Products Used: Bell
Matthew   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 26, 1999]
Strength:

Great fit
super ventilation
Pro euro looks

This is simply the best helmet I have ever owned. Fit is an individual thing, but make sure you give this one a go especially now that prices have come way down. I bought it when it first came out and paid large $219.00 CDN - still worth it. Looking forward to trying the E2 and using the Helios for road only. Be aware that the Borealis fits bigger - not the same as Helios shape.

Similar Products Used: Bell Image
Giro Air Attack
(my old helmets)
bin   Weekend Warrior [Apr 04, 1999]

The design is a bit too long and narrow. If you find your head snug sideways, you will most likely have some space at the back. It seems to be designed for poeple with an aerodynamic head shape. It is especially a problem if you are non-Causasion. I have to sqeeze my head in while having quite some space at the back of my head. The bell Forza size M I wear fits me perfectly.Giro: violator of equal pretection o f the 14th Amendment of the Constitution! 2 chilis

Allen Han   cross-country rider [Jun 09, 1996]

Fastest looking helmet by far it looks like a Ferrari as one of my riding buddy commanded. Massive amount of venting hole definitely kept my head cooler than my previous Bell Image Pro. Roc-Loc retention device will worked fairly well. Only complain, why did Giro market this helmet as road specific. With all these vents and Roc-Loc it seems destine to be a awesome off-road helmet.

ScottD   [May 26, 2001]
Strength:

it fits
it works

Sure, this helmet is no longer in production and you will be lucky to find one. I used mine for over 3 years through a lot of long, sweaty miles. Fit my head perfectly any never slid to an awkward or uncomfortable position. Rocklok worked great for me. Forgot the helmet was even there.

Can't use it any longer because I took it head-first into an oncoming SUV. The front of the helmet flattened and cracked just as it was designed to do... and I am still here to write this review.

5 chilis is not nearly enough. Thanks Giro.

Similar Products Used: Bell
Zach S   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2001]
Strength:

Great product well ventilated and nice fitting overall. It is the perfect fit for my huge noggen.

none I can find yet

This is a great helmut for the price. It fits really well and looks great. The true test is in performance. I had a nasty wreck last week where I went off a 6 foot drop fast and endoed with my head hitting a rock first taking all the force. I was ok except for a small concusion, some abrasions on my face and back, but the helmut cracked in two. The helmut did its job wonderfully and I hope I can still buy another one if they still make them. I am sad I have to retire mine.....it did its job well as it saved my arse.

Similar Products Used: A lot
Bernie Scott   [Nov 01, 2000]
Strength:

High quality construction. Super design. Light, easy to fit, good looking. Very comfortable. Great quick release.

None. But price is a bit high.

I can't recommend this helmet enough. I am very pleased with it. I don't even know it is on. I should probably go buy another one in case they stop making it!

Please do wear a helmet of some type. A few years ago I did not wear a helmet. Then I was hit by another rider who was not paying attention. I was only going about 20 mph but ended up going over the handlebars and landing on my head. The end result was a concussion, stitches and a trip to the emergency room. Even then I was very lucky.

Similar Products Used: Bell, Specialized, etc.
Paul   [Oct 22, 2000]
Strength:

ventilation
light
comfortable - I forget I'm wearing it.
very well vented (again)
Saved my life twice.

none - if you adjust the straps right.

This is the best helmet I've tried - I bought it when my head hit a post and the previous helmet was smashed. (My worst accidents have happened on the Santa Monica bike path with pedestrians doing stupid things).

Like any helmet you have to fiddle with the straps, including the adjustable yokes under the ears, to get a good fit. Also, I added foam inside at places to make the fit snug - you have to do that with any helmet. It's fiddly but you only have to do it once.

I recently went over the top again (Santa Monica bike bath) and my head hit the cement, before I smashed 2 fingers - no head damage, and no damage to helmet.

The best part of this helmet (apart that it has saved my life) is the ventilation - it gets hot in California - I only have to lower my head while I'm on the drops and I can feel the air across my head. It's a cool helmet. In winter I have a cap I wear underneath to keep the cold air out.