Giro Exodus Older Helmets

• 2XS/XS, S/M, L/XL

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 06, 2003]
    Randy

Strength:

Relatively lightweight
    Affordable
    Giro quality
    Adjustability
    Hardened finish
    Looks
    Visor adjustment range

Flimsy visor
    Hardened finish

I bought this online as a replacement for my aging Giro Supermoto. Attractive features on the Exodus were price, color (orange), and Giro durability. I know it had good venting but a hot head has never been a problem for me.

I am very happy with several features:
    - Visor adjustability - I never really messed with adjusting my visor much but have been pleased with the range of adjustability on the Exodus, especailly compared to the velcro attachment of the Supermoto.
    - RocLoc system - I use this helmet year round and in the spring I can wear a thin skullcap in the morning commute and not need it in the afternoon. The Rocloc works great to accomodate the extra thickness.
    - Shell construction - I am both pleased and nervous with the "hard" shell casing. It wipes clean easily, feels more secure, and looks great, but I'm always nervous that the shell will crack upon a small impact (rather than maybe just denting a little like the "softer" hardshell of the Supermoto).

Bottom line: I feel like I have a "real" helmet when I wear it. Fit is great for my smallish head and the helemet is really comfortable for short or really long rides. I thend to forget it's there a lot, so I guess that's the real testimony, huh?

Giro Supermoto

[Feb 06, 2002]
    John

Strength:

good fit, good looks, light weight

price $125 (unless you buy last year's model and spend $60) They also don't make the Exodus anymore

I've had three of these over the last 4 years. I destroyed one in a nasty wreck, I have one that I wear all the time and I just bought a new replacement b/c it was only $60.

The Exodus fits great and is light weight.

To the people who said it looks big on their head, it is probably not the helmet, it is probably b/c you have a pin head.

[Jul 30, 2002]
    gerald s
    Downhiller

Strength:

Excellent airvents, fit, coolmax pads, visor, Roc-Loc

Fixing of straps to Roc-loc

When I bought this helmet I thought is was the best helmet ever, and to a certain extent I still do. Last week the bonded strap came undone for no reason. I contacted the retailer who were unsure what to do. I contacted the UK distributor who sent me back to the retailer. The retailer eventually agreed to send it back to the distributor. Over a week later the distributer still have not heard anythging and said they don't want to talk to me as they don't deal with customers. When asked what they would do about it they said they'd either replace or repair. I said I was unsure about having an E2 as a replacement as I'd read bad reports on the internet - to which they said that I shouldn't believe everything I read on the Net. I replied I'd bought the Exodus as a result of the excellent reports on the net.

Reading about the E2 it seems that GIRO may have had it's day - both GIRO and their UK distributor SUCKS in my opnion. If only I could find someone who stocked a decent Bell helmet.

Bell Image

[Apr 29, 2003]
    pedro ivan

Strength:

it seems very Pro on me and the colors are very cool i think that i couldn´t buy other better design than this

the glue of the rocloc is poor, is a little heavy and in some ocations come to my face.

I used this helmet for about 3 years and look pretty cool and painted looks awesome, the only issue is that the lateral pad is very poor glued and it moves and in several times i lost the control of the bike due this.
    but when all work fine , the Rocloc really works.
    i can´t find another cool helmet.

Bell

[Nov 05, 2001]
    YOMAN

Strength:

COOL, LIGHT ,STRONG

EXPENSIVE , WHEN I WORE THIS, HEAD LOOKS BIGGER

COMPARE THE OTHER BRAND, THIS HELMET PROTECTS FACE AND
    BRAIN.
    I FEEL SORRY ABOUT THIS GOOD ONE STOP MAKE ANY MORE.

GIRO E2 ,BELL IMAGE PRO

[Sep 21, 2000]
    Luke

Strength:

Light, cool, good coverage, wicked good looks.

Wicked pricey.

I loved this helmet. It was beautiful (99colors at least), lightweight, and the rocklock system worked terribly well.
    One day, my little brother suckerd me on a urban assult ride after he had just watched KrankedIII. 1st big mistake on my part. My little brother, with balls the size of small planets, started hucking off of 12 steppers and walls on his hardtail in order to imitate the riders in the video.
    I, not to be outdone my by little bro. , Had to at least follow suit. second BIG mistake.
    After a sketchy landing off a 6 foot wall (on my XC ride...poor baby!) I went for a second try and things went all wrong. I went sideways in the air, my leg got caught in the front wheel, and I landed DIRECTLY on the back of my head, with 21 lbs of bike on top of that.
    As my head hit the ground, I could hear the foam crush, not just break or crack, but crush like it is supposed to.
    The back of the helmet, the pointy aero parts especially, were destroyed. My head was completely fine, in fact, I diddnt feel much of the impact at all.
    My arms were chewed up, and my leg had a nice encounter with a Raceface outer ring (5 bloody punctures).
    While I can tout the aerodynamics and visor system, blah blah blah..all day long, the fact is that I would probably be being spoonfed right now if i wasn't wearing it.
    Yeah its pricey, and I'm sure cheaper helmets would do the job, but I know it saved me so I'll have no problem plunking down a good chunk of cash on my next one.
    This helmet is great, everyone should have one.

Many old school helmets. Cratoni, and Bell

[May 18, 2000]
    John Carden

Strength:

Reasonably comfortable

Poor quality, Velcro visor and padding fall off. Rocloc molding split. I agree with the sizing issue 6 posts down.

Bike helmets are a bit of a rip off. 125 UKP for this? The visor is fitted via 2 holes and a bit of velcro. The padding velcro comes away from the inside of the helmet. What did it cost to manufacture?
    Disappointed as I thought that I was paying for quality.
    Does anyone know of a good comfortable helmet?

Bell Image

[Sep 28, 1998]
    Chad
    cross-country rider

Well looked around and got a Exodus from pricepoint came to 90 bucks with shipping. This is the first helmet I have ever had that I can actally use. It doesnt shake around and blind me. wear it every day now. Haven't used it yet (crashed on the head) hope I never do.

[Mar 26, 1998]
    Bernard
    cross-country rider

I bought at $117 vs. $80 price mentioned by other reviewers and still think helmet is great value. I actually believe marketing BS that head protection is worth a premium, especially after cracking two helmets in half and breaking several big bones and still having most of my brain intact. Exodus helmet fit and protection seems best in business. Big air vents and channels are a huge benefit particularly if you earn your downhills with climbing. I also like the visibility of the Orange version and the newer two tones look trick. So this helmet gets 5 chillis for high function, safety, honking ventilation, and stylie points. Biggest compliment is that competitors are now copying Giro Exodus features and looks.

[Mar 16, 1998]
    alpine1
    weekend warrior

Just picked this helmet up from my LBS for $89 and what can I say other than WOW!!!! I have a small head and have never been able to get a helmet to fit correctly even with all kinds of pads. Slipt this helmet on and it fit like a glove, don't even need to use any adjusting pads and that roc-lok 3 system is top notch. No longer do I have to keep pushing my helmet back up out of my eyes on every descent. Probably the best upgrade I have done so far.