Bell Image Pro Older Helmets

Bell Image Pro Helmet

TienShan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 01, 2009]
Strength:

The helmet looks nice and it provides good protection. I had an air borne one time and there was direct impact on the side of my head.

It's very difficult to adjust to get a really good fit.

It does what a helmet is supposed to do - protection. It did save my head one time. However the adjustment system is not very well designed. Recently I am shopping for a new helmet and got the chance to try Uvex Magnum helmet. I have heard Uvex in protection goggle and ski goggle but never seen a Uvex bicycle helmet around. I am really impressed with the design. Its adjustment system is so easy to use and provides a perfect fit. Uvex helmets are really well designed and manufactures. I am really happy that I got Uvex helmets.

Similar Products Used: Specialized ? ( a very dorky looking helmet)
Jeremy .   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2000]
Strength:

pretty comfortable, it adjusts pretty easyily and fits my head very well

the pads are pretty poor for a helmet of this price, and i seem to find like everyone else that this helmet gets a bit sweaty when it's hot.

overall i think that this helmet is worth all the money you have to pay to get it.

Similar Products Used: Giro
Gerry   Weekend Warrior [Apr 04, 1999]
Strength:

Good fit for my head. Don't need to readjust the straps before every ride. Visor can be swung up. No helmet bounce.

Pads are falling apart.

This is an excellent helmet in the moderate price range. I have been very happy with the fit. The air flow thru the helmet is way better than my old one which keeps the noggin cooler. Also, the sweat doesn't seem to dribble down into my eyes. I noticed other posts complaining about the visor blocking the view. This is valid but I found that the visor can be pivotted up out of the way when I need to get low in an aerodynamic position. Try that with a velcro mounted visor!!The only problem I have had is that the inner pads are not holding up. This seems to be a common occurence. That cost the rating one chilie.

Similar Products Used: Specialized.
Daniel   weekend warrior [Mar 25, 1998]

I love the full-nelson design and I love the light weight. I think that this a great helmet at a great price.(I paid 40.00 out of a mag called campmor) The full-nelson gesign is a great idea because if you ajust it right there is no way for the helmet to come off your head, even without the straps buckled>

Leo   Cross Country Rider [Dec 24, 2000]
Strength:

Did the job in protecting my head in a hard downhill crash. Adjustability and snug fit, but it took me a while to figure it out since I had no manual telling me how to do it.

A bit too hot sometimes since the vents are small.

I got the helmet for $25 out of the box. It took me a while to adjust it to my liking. I'm glad that I took the time to properly adjust the helmet and figured it out in time for my crash. Too bad I didn't have knee and elbow pads since those parts got bruised up good without any protection.
For $25 it was a steal. Of course, I was wondering why were there some yellow marks written on the inside of the helmet? There was a sticker that said that it was made on Feb. '98 or something. Hopefully it was checked for quality control or something and passed. Yup, looks like it passed all right since my head is intact and got a sore neck and a broken helmet. The helmet cracked all the way across on the lower right side during the crash. And I was just beginning to like it too. Oh, well.
So, the moral of the story is to make sure you are wearing your helmet the right way or else it doesn't matter how much or what brand your helmet is. Oh, yeah and Bell has a helmet replacement policy too. I guess I should try it.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Air Wave.
Kona Boy   cross-country rider [Jan 21, 1997]

This helmet is a good product. It fits the head well with the Full Nelson retention system and is light. The problems I have with this helmet are two. The lack of pade in the front over the forehead allows sweat to drip into your eyes and the visor doesn't go as high as I'd like. The visor proves a problem when climbing steep hills. You have to look unusually high to see your line. All in all, a good product.

Ken   weekend warrior [Jan 02, 1997]

I don't have much experience with helmets (I've only owned two), but I must say that the Bell Image Pro is awesome. It doesn't wiggle around my head at all because of the Full Nelson thingee. It's got a nice visor (maybe a tiny bit too low, but, oh well...) and 12 ventilation holes. After riding around, my head was still cool even though the rest of me was sweating. I got it for $50, even though it should sell for around $70-$80. All in all, a great helmet.

Jim   cross-country rider [Dec 29, 1996]

Great combination of comfort, ventilation, looks and price. Have spent
many hours riding in desert climates, so keeping the noggin cool and
comfortable is important. My wife liked the helmet so much I had to
purchase a second one (check the mail order companies, some are
selling them for under $40, a great value.)
Since most of my riding is

David Iriguchi   Cross Country Rider [Nov 09, 2000]
Strength:

Does what a helmet should. Pretty light. Lots of vents.

The side adjustment buckles. Ridiculously uncomfortable.

The side adjustment buckles on the straps are very, very poor. They are designed with curved sides that I guess are supposed to fit your fingers when you are adjusting them, but they have sharply pointed corners which dig into your jaw and behind your ears. I will never buy a Bell helmet again with these buckles. The engineer who designed them should be required to wear a helmet with these medieval torture buckles, every day, all day long while he/she works. Then they would rethink the wisdom of putting sharply pointed pieces of plastic on their helmet straps. What were they thinking?!?

I have no complaints about the helmet itself. It's cool. Other than the straps, it fits well. Luckily I've never tested its protection factor but it has all the usual approval stickers. But don't get one or any other Bell until they change the buckles. I eventually had to tape over the buckles on mine which looks stupid but it at least makes the straps tolerable. I guess its probably another case of the people designing it not having to use their own product because if they did it wouldn't be designed this way.

Similar Products Used: Other Bell Helmets.
Juan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 31, 2000]
Strength:

looks cool, it saved my cranium
Bell's new for old deal rocks

a bit hot, pads and straps are way better in the '99 than in the '97, but could still be bettered. visor comes loose easily

It saved my ass riding on bitumen to work. A f*%#ng delivery van swerved right in front of me just at a moment when my left hand was busy fishing something out of my bag. Only being able to slam on the front brake, I supermanned off at about 40kph, bounced off my head and landed on my ass. The helmet was stuffed but my head remained intact. I kissed the busted helmet and thanked my lucky stars. This helmet took my whole weight at a good speed and I came off well. Unfortunately the accident made mincemeat of my saddle, grip, pedal and back rim.

Buy this helmet if you care about your head, it definitely works. It's not as light and airy as some, but I can't justify paying $250 AUD for high end models because you're going to sweat anyway. The '99 is a great improvement on the '97; but the straps are still a bit hard to adjust, and the visor still comes loose. I'll have to drop one point on value for this.

An excellent General purpose helmet, on and off road.
5 flamin ox tongues.