WTB New Paradigm Older Headsets

WTB New Paradigm

[Mar 21, 1999]
Jon
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

smooth
easy to adjust
grease-injection
neat orange seals
good price

head race flange is fragile
will index if retainers are used
plastic wedge-ring sticks in place

This is a good headset for those who don't mind a little wrenching. The grease-injection feature is handy, but gets messy if you don't wipe off the exiting junk. It looks a little different than everything else. Remove the retainers ASAP, though, or you'll index the races. The head race is hard to swap, because of the wide flange, which tends to break if you're not extra-careful, but new ones are cheap. Not a King, but probably the best loose-ball headset left.

Deore XT threaded

[Mar 15, 1999]
Zeus

This thing came stock on my 1998 Trek Y-Glide Deluxe w/ Manitau X-Vert R fork. I really love it. It is buttery smooth, and looks great. The grease gaurd is awesome too. Then I realized how mush the thing costs brand new- $120. Damn am I glad that I got such a nice headset. along with a great deal on my bike!

[Mar 06, 1999]
epic
racer

This is WTB's best headset. Like the Momentum, it uses the Grease Guard system. This allows you to replace your grease without taking apart the headset, and I think it is a great feature. I've had one on my Procaliber for two years now, and have never had any problems. I have also owned Chris King, RaceFace, Ringle, Tioga, Shimano and Dia-Compe headsets. The WTB is easily as good as or better than any of them.

[Jun 15, 2001]
Scott

Strength:

still works after a year?

-grease spooges everywhere
-you need to constantly inject new grease
-weak seals: come off easily

After you initially inject grease, you have grease come out of the seals. That's fine because you can immediately clean it. However, the grease continues to come out hours/days after you inject. For anyone who doesn't wear grubby jeans everyday, this is not good. I've thrown my bike in my car/on the rack many mornings and looked down to find grease all over them. I emailed WTB and their irrelevent reply was something to the effect that, "WTB makes quality products for demanding riders." Pissa. If you're gonna spend this much $ on a headset, you're nuts not to buy a King with a 10 year warranty. Also, this headset is not that smooth, and the lower race gets contaminated very quickly. Don't waste your money, clothes, grease, etc.