Ritchey Fuzzy Logic Older Headsets

Ritchey Fuzzy Logic

Bill Liu   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2002]
Strength:

Look nice, seal cartridge, light

Expensive, hard to install well

(This is the review of Ritchy's WSC headset.) I don't recommend it to any one. At this price, you can buy lots of other good headset out there. No matter how hard I try, I cannot adjust this headset properly. Either too tight or too loose. When I feel the headset is smooth enough, it is already too loose (I can feel some play at the headset). The seal cannot keep dirts from entering the bearings too. I rather like the lower level fuzzy logy headset which is installed on my other bike. It works well.

Similar Products Used: Ritchy fuzzy logic, a head set, shimanio stx
w g   Downhiller [Oct 21, 2002]
Strength:

Good headset with descent turning ratio and turns smoothly

Contracts dirt into bearings causing popping noise, easy to fix though

I f you're gonna go all out and put your bike to a brutal test, don't get this because it will give you he**. Anything else this will be a descent headset.

Jason   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 08, 2000]
Strength:

Light and innovative with roller bearings. Provides a beter platform than conventional ball bearings.

lower seal could be a little better. Need periodic adjustments

I initially had a problem with the lower cup wearing poorly, (check the adjustment). I contacted Ritchey and they sent me a new lower assembly. Maurice, at Ritchey handled it very quickly and was very helpful.
Make sure you check adjust/grease it. I would buy another Ritchey headset. Good quality, innovative design, and excellent customer service.

Similar Products Used: Diacompe, Cane Creek
Ray   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 13, 1999]
Strength:

Very light wieght, looks fairly decent, stays clean of the muddy stuff, good for racing and short courses.

needs to be tightened more often than I'd like. Usually after some fairly tough rocky and rooted terrain. This headset is not meant for prolonged beatings on long rough trail.

This is a great headset for racers and wieght weenies, but it will need special care on or after prolonged and rough rides. Good headset.

Similar Products Used: Raceface, shimano, toiga
andrew   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 12, 1999]
Strength:

lightweight, cheap

compression ring

Light @94g for 1 1/8, cheap (got mine for $25), does what suppose to. Has needle lower bearing, so stronger then Logic, but yet not as smooth. I did not like soft plastic compression ring, set came loose after first ride, had to tighten. Also it doesnt hug steer as good as more expensive sets, so this thing would have tendency to go really fast if get loose.
Anyone having problem with Ritchey's sets, keep it tight!

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX
Symon   Weekend Warrior [Apr 09, 2002]
Strength:

NONE

Completely f***ed in less than six months

This is a crap headset. Admittedly it has had Cornish winter(ie wet/muddy) use but there is no excuse for its pathetic performance, this headset has virtually no effective sealing in fact it seems to retain water/muck inside it rather than keep it out. A few years ago I had an ordinary logic headset fitted to a Kona hardtail and it gave good service for a fair while so when my Sub5 came fitted as standard with what I thought was a better headset I was expecting alot more than was delivered! After 4-5 months of use the bearings was so rough I could hardly control my bike. On inspection this headset was FULL of sh*t, in 10 years of riding off road I have never been through a headset so quickly. I have had quite a few cheaper and supposedly lesser headsets last a lot better, through a lot worse winters than this one didn't get through. I didn't get chance to try it in the summer (it was so far gone that an overhaul wasn't going to save it) so cant comment on its "fair weather" performance but whats the point in having a major component (as I think your headset is) that wont last through year round weather? I have replaced it with a WTB momentum grease guard as I have previous good experience with these excellent headsets-O K it weighs a bit more but I reckon if you weighed the mud,rust and crap that came out of the ritchey it would weigh more than both headsets put together! Avoid this crap headset if you can, if minus points were available for performance I would give it 50

Similar Products Used: Tioga,Dia-compe,WTB momentum(the one 2 get when your ritchey is worn out!)
Steve   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 25, 1999]
Strength:

Durable, stays adjusted, stays clean

Not the smoothest headset out there.

I ride lots of dusty trails and this headset stays as clean as can be. Easy to adjust and durable. I have a 1 steerer and have had problems with other headsets staying together, but this one is up to the task. Only complaint is that it isn't the smoothest headset I've used, far from it, and is a bit on the expensive side Good headset, but it could be smoother.