Ringlé Slamma Jamma Older Headsets

Ringle Slamma Jamma

[Sep 25, 2001]
Amanda Hugankiss
Downhiller

Strength:

price, I guess.

pretty much everything else about it.

Turns like it's filled with crunchy sand and sludge. What a piece of crap. I guess its not too expensive though. But it becomes expensive when the bearings sieze after maybe 50 hours of riding, and then you have to go buy a real headset.
You should buy it if you are selling your bike immediately after installation.

Chris King, Ritchey, FSA

[Nov 09, 2001]
Craig

Strength:

Old ones were great.

New ones are lousy.

I have two Ringle aheadsets. The first I bought 4+ years ago. It has over 2000 dirt miles on it and performs perfectly. Couldn't be happier.

Then I bought a new one for my commuter bike. Even though I had read the reviews below, I got one because of my previous positive experience. What a mistake. I had the same rough action when first installed as described below.
The HS also never tightened quite right. The top cap/cup does not seem to properly seat on the upper bearing and the cap/cup rocks back and forth. It seems the quality control of the company has gone in the can. Look elsewhere for your next headset!

[Sep 21, 2000]
Steven Alexander

Strength:

butter smooth, cool colours, super nice machining, and sealing. Oh yeah, $50 at their website!!!!

a tad large sized cups, had to remove two spacers to acheive the same height of bar and stem after replacing the headset

Makes the canecreek headset that I had look like it should have cost $5.00. I got mine in yeti blue, WOW!!! Super smooth, serviceable bearings, seals well...actually looks like water will not be an issue for it...

raceface, canecreek, diacompe, fsr.

[May 28, 2000]
John Morrissey

Strength:

American made!!!! BEEFY,looks good and is priced good.

None as of yet

Nice equipment,good price,holds up nice. I ended up replacing it with a nuke proof. But I have to give this headset PROPS.

FSA PIG,Nuke Proof

[Apr 12, 2001]
JP

Strength:

Would not know!

CUSTOMER SERVICE

I BOUGHT A HEADSET ONLINE WITH A DEFECTIVE BOTTOM RACE. I TRIED EMAILS AND PHONE CALLS. I WISH I HAD A CHANCE TO TRY THE PRODUCT BUT THE CUSTOMER SERVICE WOULD NOT REPLY TO MY CALLS. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A COMPANY THAT STANDS BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT DO NOT BUY RUN-RINGLE.

NONE

[Sep 10, 2000]
james

Strength:

strong, good-looking piece of work, smooth

none noted yet

Nice smooth operation, no problems yet. Haven't tried to perfom any maintenance on it yet, but don't expect any problems. I would buy another.

dia compe

[Aug 20, 2000]
Hunter

Strength:

Dependable

Installed when ball bearing set up failed. This product gave me no problems ever. I pound my bike on jumps, drops, trials, and fast pace xc. Buy this one!

stock garbage

[Jun 05, 1999]
Eli Ringel
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Buttery smooth bearings
ease of servicing
unique look
bombproof design
ease of adjustment

what weaknesses?

The bottom line is that this headset is worth every penny of its cnc'ing. The bearings are a snap to service, it stays adjusted, and it just looks damn cool. The shape and obvious quality instill confidence in every rider who is willing to shell out the big bucks. I have tried the King and I admit it is an amazing headset, but it doesn't come close to matching the performance and ultra trick design of the slamma jamma.

King
cane creek

[May 10, 1999]
BIKME
Downhiller

It dont work!

This is the second time I have to write this, since my whole review dissapeared when I didn't give it any chilies. This website just lost a chili. My ringle headset has been nothing but problems from day 1. It doesn't adjust properly, and it sticks like it is either not flat or not round. If I tighten it enough to eliminate play, it wont turn. Even when I find a liveable medium, it still sticks when the bars hit about 7:00. Schwinn gaurantees that all Homegrown frames are faced at the factory. I re-pressed the cups and turned them a 1/4 turn. This did nothing. Foryunately I only spent $75, not $200. But, this is still alot of $ to throw away. No chilies for the Hunka Junka.

Odysee, XT, Tioga

[Mar 22, 1999]
Jon
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

light
looks neat
easy to service
easy to adjust
smooth

wider than normal
not a king

This is a fine piece of equipment. I'm not sure what happened to the reviewer below, but I'd have to suspect a poor facing job, or overtightening the headset. I agree that Ringle should have stood behind it's products, and not copped an attitude. Better luck with the King, their reputation is unblemished. This headset is on my partner's bike, but since I do all the wrenchin, I'm reviewing it. I've ridden it a few times, more for laughs than anything else, but it functions very nicely. It's easy to clean, and only takes an hour to degrease and repack. When changing forks, the head race is easy to remove and install, even without the proper tools. The one drawback is it's large girth, which made fitting a canti hanger to a 98 SX-R fork a real nightmare, involving a good bit of machining to avoid mid-travel collisions. But, I'm not saying this is Ringle's fault.

WTB Momentum