Hope Pro Series Disks Older Disc Brakes

Pro Series Disks

The Pro Series mountain bike disc brake is the ultimate evolution of our hydraulic stoppers. Using the feedback given to us by our World Cup riders, we honed the Pro Series Disc brake to previously unimaginable levels of perfection. These brakes can handle the worst braking conditions imaginable, from rain, to mud, to snow, to the hopelessly outrun carcasses of your competition.

Jim Frost   Weekend Warrior [Feb 19, 2002]

Quick update to my previous review:

The leakage I mentioned turned out to be a worn seal in the lever. It took about a week for my shop to get a new set of seals, not too bad. The seal package came with two sets.

Changing the seals was very easy except for getting the circlip that holds the piston assembly together removed. I didn't have a tool for that and used a pair of needle-nose pliers and some jeweler's screwdrivers; that took awhile. It took about a half hour to do the change (excluding the trips to the hardware store to pick up tubing for the bleed and needle nose pliers for the circlip) but now that I've done it once I could probably do it again in 10 to 15 minutes, no big deal. I'm getting pretty good at doing a full bleed, too.

It would be convenient if Hope provided step-by-step servicing instructions rather than just an exploded parts diagram (available on their website) but considering that only the occasional fork manufacturer has ever supplied me with even that much detail I probably shouldn't complain :-).

Regarding the bleed kit I mentioned before: You'll actually do better if you just get some vinyl tubing from your local hardware store since it's clear so you can see the bubbles. I spent 42 cents on the tubing versus $5 for the auto bleed kit and the tubing was easier to use. You can get a one-man bleed valve (about $11) to make it really easy, just pump the lever rather than open valve/pump/close valve/release (which is a little tedious).

Despite having to replace the seal, I still maintain my high rating due to low service requirements. One seal and a bleed in two years beats the tar out of my experience with cable brakes. You do want to get a circlip tool, though, it's rough to disassemble some of that stuff with needle nose pliers.

Lastly, after I posted my last review a Hope representative sent me a note indicating that for easy parts availability you can just call their 800 number or 909.769.1654 and order them yourself. Never had a vendor respond to me directly before, another plus.

hv   [Dec 04, 2001]
Strength:

power
consistency
ease of setup
everything

superb power and performance.
The guy below who couldn't brake in the wet must have a problem, what pads are you using? halfords own or something? I used these brakes at the dragon race at metabeif, that was so wet i was marshalled off the course and racing was postponed for a few hours. The brakes worked perfectly.

If mine can work in race conditions, down a world cup standard DH course in that weather (and the pads were a season old), and yours can't cope down the trails, i think your units may have some problems or you need to learn how to break properly.

Jim Frost   Weekend Warrior [Jan 17, 2002]
Strength:

Superb modulation, very consistent across a wide range of conditions, very reliable, easy to maintain

Expensive, parts hard to come by in the US

This is a re-review after about two years of ownership. At this point I've run a maintenance cycle as well as putting the brakes through all conditions I typically ride, and a few serious workouts.

Basic comments: These brakes have superb modulation, better by far than Hayes or Avid. Ample power for all but extreme DH or trials work although it did take awhile for them to break in to take full advantage of it. I'd probably rate Hayes as having slightly more peak power but it's hard to tell because the character of the brakes is so different. The Avid mechanicals aren't even close (although I do prefer them to Vs).

Long-term issues: I've found that these brakes withstand the test of time very well. Rotors are still in superb shape after two years of riding through whatever mother nature threw at me. They've developed small amounts of rust near the hub, but not enough to be concerned about. I can't see or feel any warping. The front brake recently got to the point where it was almost bottoming with the adjuster all the way in. It just needed a fluid top-off. The rear still doesn't need it. I'm not sure why it needed more fluid, there was no apparent leak in the system, although the bleed valve bolt did need some teflon tape to prevent leakage during bleeding so perhaps the loss was in that area. Rear brake return got weak from dirt in the piston area (though never to the point of inducing rub). Removing the pads and cleaning the pistons up restored performance. I lost the front bleed valve cover at some point.

Bad conditions: I experienced no deterioration beyond a single rotation even when very wet or dirty, and it has to be really wet or dirty (think "hurricane" and "mudfest") to notice any deterioration at all. I never had any problems with icing. In poor conditions these are so much better than rim brakes (even ceramic sidewalls) that there is no fair comparison.

Heat issues: It's true that pump-up occurs with these brakes, but it turned out to be much less of a problem than I anticipated. Doing 3-5,000 foot descents down Brian Head I found the need to rotate the adjusters by about 1/4 turn to adjust for heat-up. I was never in danger of lock-up. The rotors get plenty hot and can burn to the touch. The stock brake pads develop a squeal when hot. I experience more variation in cold conditions than while doing DH; if it's below freezing the trip to the trails on top of my car results in noticable fluid contraction. In any case adjustment is no more than a 2 second affair and can easily be done while riding.

Maintenance pluses: DOT 5.1 fluid is cheap and easy to get. Since the bleed valve is compatible with automotive and motorcycling valves your typical "one man" auto bleed kit, available all over the place for a few bucks, works like a charm. Tools needed for typical maintenance are an 8mm spanner for the bleed valve, a mid-size adjustable wrench for the fluid reservoir, and needle nose pliers for the pad cotter pins. Pad changes are a matter of a couple of minutes: Just remove the cotter pins, slide out the old pads, slide in new ones, and replace the pins. Dreamy; even easier than cartridge Vs and so easy that rotating between different pad types as conditions change is no problem. Aside from the cotter pins wearing out from too much bending you could do it intra-ride on a regular basis if you wanted to. Rotor and pad cleaning is a snap with rubbing alcohol. The whole system is terrifically simple, elegantly designed, very easy to work on.

Maintenance minuses: DOT 5.1 fluid is mildly corrosive and it's likely you'll do some dripping or a little spraying, particularly when you remove the drain tube. It didn't seem to do anything to the paint on my fork, despite warnings that it could, but YMMV. I'd wear eye protection but I had no problems with the stuff on bare hands, I just washed them afterward. Fluid contact with brake pads destroys them so remove the pads and place them well out of the way. Clean everything with alcohol prior to replacing the pads.

In my previous review I knocked a chili off for the parts being a little hard to get. In this long-term review I give it back because you need parts so seldom and maintenance is so easy. I literally rode these things two years straight before I did anything to them beyond swabbing the rotors with alcohol after particularly muddy rides. Admittedly it was mostly weekend riding, plus a week of long descents in the Rockies, but I do lots of wet conditions riding that burns up V pads and rims and clogs cables. Going two years without needing any maintenance is an astounding accomplishment matched previously only by my Marzocchi Z.2 forks.

Summary: Superb function and reliability, remarkably infrequent and easy maintenance. Strongly recommended.

Similar Products Used: Hayes hydraulic, Avid mechanical
omer ahmed   Racer [Dec 29, 2001]
Strength:

PARTS AVAILABILITY IS THE BEST OF ANY KNOWN DISC BRAKE. PERIOD. THINK SHIMANO, THINK HOPE PART AVAILABILTY IN THE U.K. LOOK NEARLY AS BEAUTIFUL AS PAGE 3 MODELS.

NONE. I PROMISE!

HAVE U HEARD OF BREMBO BREAKS. THE ARE IN FORMULA 1.IF HOPE ENTERED FORMULA 1, SCHMACHER WOULD DEMAND TO USE HOPES INSTEAD, THAT IS HOW GOOD THEY R. THE R SIMPLY BREATH TAKING. THE WAY THEY SLOW U DOWN FROM VELOCITY IS A LESSON IN LINEARITY. I REMEMBER DOING 35MPH / 48KMP ON DRY TARMAC. I MANAGED 2 LIFT THE REAR WHEEL FROM 30 MPH, AND KEEP IT IN THE AIR, YET SLOWING DOWN AT THE SAME TIME. THIS WAS IN THE FIRST 2 DAYS. THIS TELLS 2 THINGS 1) HOW POWERFUL THESE R 2) THAT THEY R RELLY CONTROLABLE. IF A ABSOLUTE NOVICE CAN BALANCE THE REAR WHEELS THEN WAT CAN A INTERMIDIATE RIDER DO. THIS WAS ON STANDARD PADS. AS FAR AS HEAT BUILD UP, WAT THE CRAP. IT IS HARDLY ANY. U ADJUST THEM BEFORE UR RIDE, AND FORGET.IF I COULD GIVE 10 CHILIS I WOOD.

Similar Products Used: NONE. DID NOT FEEL THE NEED 2. THE HYPE SURROUNDING THESE BABIES WAS ENOUGH. PEOPLE RAVE ON ABOUT THESE. HAYES HAVE A VERY BAD REP ON PARTS AND SET UP. THEY R A NITEMARE 2 SET UP.
eric   Cross Country Rider [Dec 28, 2001]
Strength:

smooth lever feel.

they don't stop you.
they leak.
they pretty much suck.

these brakes were on a dh bike a borrowed from my local shop to go urban ridding the other night. they are an xc brake, so i guess they shouldn't have been as good at haouling the 55lb dh bike down, as say, hayes dh brakes, but here's the thing, they didn't work at all. the way the system is designed, if any air gets in the hose, the brakes are done. this happened while attempting a 30 mph manual over a large down hill. it ended up sucking. bottom line hope brakes = "hope you stop"

Similar Products Used: Hayes, avid mech. lots o' v-brakes
Paul   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 2000]
Strength:

Awesome power, modulation and looks, need I say more...

Tricky setup, but you only need to do it once.
Price, but then the best always costs...

One of the best products I have ever used, it just gets on with stopping me, and hasn't needed touching since fitting (apart from below).

Hopes customer service is amongst the best I have ever come across (at least in the UK), having managed to get free calliper half’s free of charge after I managed to shear off the bleed nipple after is seized in on one brake and somehow blew the back out of the other after squeezing the lever to hard pulling an endo....

Since these mishaps, things have been rosy the only thing being that they can be a bit noisy if they get wet, but that soon passes.

After using these I will NEVER EVER go back to rim brakes, despite the price difference. 5 flamin' chillies!!

Similar Products Used: XTR, XT and LX V's, Maguras.
Stu   Downhiller [Apr 07, 1999]
Strength:

Power - Unbelievable
Modulation - The Best
Maintaince - So Simple
Looks - Cool

The best disk brake currently available - in my opinion. Takes 2 mins max to change pads. No drag from pads. Easy to bleed up. Need I say More?

Similar Products Used: Hayes (Gayes) disks
Magura Disks
Craig   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2000]
Strength:

Fit & Finish of construction are top notch. Adjustment shims are easy and handy to use. Lever feel, adjustibility and modulation are excellent

Slightly heavier than other discs out there.

In comparison to the Hayes I know that I have given up some overall power, but I gained an absolute advantage in terms of modulation and lever feel. The lever feel is always great, grab a little brake or grab alot!! the lever pump is not like MBA and the others try to suggest, that being if you breath heavy on them they will pump up, explode, and kill you!! But then again, Hayes does spend alot on advertising know doesn't it?

If you live on the North Shore then go for the Hayes where stopping power is obviously the most important thing...plus, those Vancouver shops, Cove, Steed, on-top, Dizzy etc etc, know how to set them up and make them feel pretty good overall. Professional set up is key to any disc set up-a good set up means good times on the trail!!

I went with Bob, review is posted further down, to Lillooet this year in BC, did a heli-tour that was around 7000ft total drop, at around 3hrs to decend..I found that in 95% of the time the hopes were fantastic, two times that I can remember I would have liked a little more brake power though...they did have lever pump up but it wasn't so bad, on the fly adjustment took care of that, I just turned the pads out a bit and that took care of drag, and brought back the feel, plus they cool down very quick. Hope's have very large rotors as stock so they modulate and stay consistent for a long ride.

In short, you have to decide what your priorites are, straight out power, or feel, modulation and pretty strong power. The closed system I would buy again in a second without hesitation!!

The fit and finish, machining is sooooo beautiful to look at...and they can take a good hit too, the heavier rotors are more resistant to heat warp and small bouncing rock hits too.

I found Hope tech dept to be tough to get a hold of, but very helpfull once I did get through...very polite and professional... Bevan at airbomb.com has also been a good help in times of questions!!

In the Seattle area, have Downhill Zone do the set up for your particular bike.... they are way fast, very knowledgable, and very helpful, plus it's kinda nice to see a Vancouver style shop around here!!

Please email me if you have any questions. Thanks for taking the time to read my rant!

Craig

Similar Products Used: First Discs. used Magura Hydraulics a long time ago
John Baker   Downhiller [Mar 09, 2001]
Strength:

Absolutley the best stopping power in the dry, watch them in the wet. they look supreme. The best disc brake in the world in terms of performance

Mine have leaked twice, they are so easy to refill it wasnt a problem, stock pads arent the best, Watch out you dont round the bolts off on the hub.Braided hose can cause paint work damage if you dont know what you are doing.
Hope are English!!!!