Hope Disc Brakes Older Disc Brakes

Hope Disc Brakes

Welford   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2002]
Strength:

these brakes are the mutts nutts

the best brakes money can buy. PERIOD

wayyy better than sh*tty maguras

pro lever feels nicer than old sport version. prefer the closed system so i can adjust the lever feel to how i like it.

Similar Products Used: v's, cable discs, maguras
Winno   Cross Country Rider [Dec 06, 2001]
Strength:

work when wet, light weight compared to other discs, very good power and control.

Very pricey compared to some others especially when I had to get new wheels too in my upgrade from Maggie rims, take some time to bed in.

I wanted to get brakes that would work in the wet as I'd had some scarey moments with my Maggie HS33's in the rain. The Maggies were fantastic in good conditions and better than my XT and XTR V's in all conditions.
I also didn't want to have to replace rims every so often when they wore out. I just wanted something that I could put on, it would work well all the time and be fuss and maintenance free.

I had had a Hope Ti bottom bracket for some years that didn't have one problem with it and so I decided to look at Maggie and then Hope discs.
I went for the Hopes even though they were more costly as they have fantastic hubs and do a short axle kit for the rear Big'un hub due to me having to use a Hope rear disc adaptor kit for my frame due to no disc bosses.
The machining is also top class.
They took a month or so of light use to get them bedded in and now I have immense control of my braking.
The Hayes I tried had a firm stop to them but I felt that I didn't have the modulation that I have with the Hopes.

I'm very happy with them.

Similar Products Used: Hope C2, various Hayes
Kace   Cross Country Rider [Oct 26, 2001]
Strength:

Stopping your bike

Bedding-in period

I'm reading various reviews here about it being hard to set up and squeaky in use. Maybe I'm lucky (or maybe I'm good!) but it took me just under 1 hour in my office with an Allen key and pair of pliers. This includes removing the old brake and completely replacing the front wheel. This done it runs in silence and stops me on a postage stamp, at all times looking and feeling very sweet. OK I've not had it long but I can definitely comment on fitting and early performance.
It's expensive of course, very sharp edged rotor (mind your paint and fingers), and most importantly takes quite a bit of bedding in- don't ride any hills in the first few outings! But to be honest you get what you pay for, and for GBP 110-120 the Hope Mini stops MTBs very very well.
PS Hope hubs cost about the same as XT and are superior in weight, freewheeling and ease-of-service, no competition.

Similar Products Used: V's, mech disk
Rich   [Nov 12, 2001]
Strength:

This is how brakes should be, smooth & powerful (Hope Mini)

Can't think of anything

I have tested these brakes in the worst conditions, and they work consistantly every time, no more rim grind from the 'V' brakes, or changing the cables every few months. Also Hope must have fixed the pads on the mini brake, because mine only make a slight hum at speed (holes in the disk?) altogether a excelent brake system.

Similar Products Used: 'V' brakes, tested deore cable brakes
Kevin G   [Oct 14, 2002]
Strength:

Like hitting a brick wall. They stop in all conditions, and i'm 240 lbs.

I had a piston shear off in the front caliper. However Hope quickly remedied this problem with no hassle the swapped my caliper with a cosmetically marred caliper for $30. They also ate the shipping and gave me a great deal on new pads. The calipers were also already a couple of years old with very hard riding

I will never settle for anything less than Hope again for hydraulic brakes

Similar Products Used: Hayes, Avid
Jay   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2001]
Strength:

(open 2 pro levers) Simple, reliable,powerful,good modulation, no fade or pump up and mine never squealed.

Yeah right

I like them loads.

Similar Products Used: None
Jaap Dr. Paaj   Cross Country Rider [Oct 17, 2001]
Strength:

pure brakingpower. No weak feeling in the handles. More than only xc use braking. The weight 380gr

squiking but thats the only one...

The mini's have much more braking power than all others in compare with xc racing brakes..... But the first feel is very strong when you touch the brake handle you make a nosewheely before you noticed..... This brake can be used for XCracing-freeriding-dual and maybe DH(with lagrer rotors 185mm r+f)

They squeek very nice like singing, but i don't care...... One of the best brake ever...

Similar Products Used: xt(disc) magura(sucks) hayes and hope(both superr hope the best)
matt-o   Racer [Oct 14, 2001]
Strength:

Small levels (not motorcycle style), good manuals, tech support, stopping ability once "bedded in".

Weight (when compared to cantis), very sharp rotors, can't build real light wheels, had to call tech for additional parts, 5.1 brake fluid vs. Shimano's mineral oil, drag

These brakes (HOPE MINIS) are nice but they do have their drawbacks. Stopping power is better than cantis once broken in, but not leaps and bounds better. Setting up is a pain. Numerous tiny washers, messy fluids and wrong parts caused me increased set up time and losing out on a trip to Moab. The rotors are VERY sharp on the edges, due to a lack of machining, and they will chip and peel the paint off your chainstays real quick when putting the rear wheel into the dropouts. Plus out of the box, one of the pistons stuck (would not expand or contract). The guy at HOPE helped with that problem though, wd40 and a screwdriver did the trick.

I have struggled with getting the pad rub out of the calipers by using the washers provided (and extras) to space them properly, but to no avail some drag still exsists. I have been a bike mechanic for ten plus years, plus I have maintain all of the disc brake systems on my motocross bikes, so let me say that it is not a case of a feeble mechanic spinning the wreches that has caused difficulties in set-up.

If you get ANY disc set up that is hydraulic, plan on tinkering time.

As far as the performance, they do stop quicker than cantis. No need to worry about heating your rims either (a concern here in Colorado with loooong descents). But it seems that you use your brakes more too. My race times/descent times are not any faster with them. They look pretty trick with the wavy style rotor and they have just a touch of squeal but no worse than misalighned VEES.

Should you get em? Well gotta ask yourself acouple of questions. Do you ride in mucky conditions? Are you willing to slap extra weight on your bike? Are you willing to trash out your current wheelset for a more expensive, heavier one? Are you willing to mess with fulids and parts that are only available from specialized dealers?

If you answered NO to any of these, stick to canti (Vee) brakes. Otherwise you will experience my dissappointment. Sorry.