Hayes Cable Actuated Older Disc Brakes

Cable Actuated

No levers Fluidless system, uses standard lever, cable and housing. Adjuster barrel for "tool free" pad adjustment. All-weather brake pads. Complete ball bearing system. Mounting bracket system for eash setup and adjustment. 6" rotor. 465g

Keith M.   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2002]
Strength:

Great modulation and stopping power. They'll flip you over the top if you're not carful.

A little noisy and once a rub develops you have to play with them.

I received these brakes from Giant to compensate for the original crappy Formula MD-1 disks they spec'd on my XTC. I love these so much more than the Formulas! They do make a little noise during their break in period, but compared to the banshee-like wailing of the Formula's, these are whisper quiet.

Be sure to pair these brakes with good set of cables. (Avid or Ride-On) Since I went with Flak Jackets, my life has been good. I've had some trouble with clearance on my front wheel with the disk making a rubbing noise but it does not slow the wheels rotation. Go figure. If you want super duper, 80 degree downhill slope stopping power go with hydro brakes, but these brakes make my XC life sweet. Oh, they look great too.

Similar Products Used: Formula MD-1's (most worthless mech. disks ever created)
Mitch   Downhiller [Feb 26, 2002]
Strength:

Stops me...happy aLL round with it...sure beats cantilever.

cable has been known to slip..(thats during racing though)

Once they r worn in they go alright, just keep adjusting the allen bolt every couple of weeks and ur sweet..no drag. The wet there is no difference, and they look cool...which makes everyone go 'Disc Brakes on a pushy?'.

Similar Products Used: Just old-school V's and centre-pull
Kyle Hawes   Downhiller [Feb 25, 2002]
Strength:

Good stopping power. Looks cool.

Could have a little more...stopping power. Squels like a pig. Cables crack first ride. And they could break in faster.

Nice breakes for a Xcountry rider. Need more power!

Similar Products Used: XT hydros. Hays hydros.
Rob Fraser   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2002]
Strength:

They won't puss fluid and they will always stop no matter what.

Caliper set-up. Weigh in 2lbs each.

Don't pay full price. They are fun to play with in the wet. The Hayes brake pads are the best. They stop when avid won't. Expect to take the extra weight out of your bicycle elsewhere.

Similar Products Used: Avid
MArk   Downhiller [Jul 07, 2002]
Strength:

When adjusted right stopping power of a wall.

Requires constant attention and adjusting. Depending on the frequency and type of riding this can be a daily chore.

I am not sure of the price retail but I do know if I had a choice at this point I would get a hydro front and cable rear. My front brake 'weakens' easily leaving me stranded at times. I also weight in the 250 to 270 range so stopping power is a must in this town.

Similar Products Used: N/A
William Lambert   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 2001]
Strength:

They stop you really well.
They look good.
Easy to remove and install wheels.

More difficult than "V" brakes to adjust.

These brakes came with the WARP. They and the full suspensions were the reasons I bought the bike. Most of my rides are on canal tow paths and rail trails where you hardly need brakes. The roads around my house have some long steep hills. These brakes are excellent on the hills. They really slow you down and hold up to the heat. I did have one problem. My rear brake developed an annoying intermittent squeak when riding without braking. It was rubbing on the fixed pad. I would adjust it so the clearances look good, but it would still squeak. The pads are new so the fixed pad was backed out as far as it would go and the clearances were pretty tight. I finally discovered that my frame or wheel was flexing so that the disc was moving .005 to .010 inch toward the fixed pad. I had to adjust so that the disc almost touches the operating pad with no weight on the bike. Now all is well and I am a happy camper. I have disc brakes and don't have to fiddle with hydraulics. The best of both worlds......

Similar Products Used: None
nate king   [Oct 14, 2002]
Strength:

No oil to loose, easy to clean, adjust and maintain. Vast improvement from Hayes' first run of mechanicals (Thanks to the easier to adjust in-board pad). Better modulation than the only other decent mechanical on the market, Avid. Standard Hayes pads and 6" or 8" rotors.

Not a hydraulic, requires a lot more pull on the lever to get power. Unless you live and ride in a very dry or desert climate I found that frequent replacement of the rear brake housing or a Gore sealed system is needed to consistently get full power from the caliper. I would reccomend Hayes or xt's instead, if you ride alot in wet conditions, or frequent ski lifts.

You get what you pay for, great for that second bike you don't want to drop too much coin on, but have to have disc brakes on it. Or for the liestylah cheepskate, like myself, who wants to have a low maintainence decent brake. If you are big guy or aggressive on the steeps see if your friendly local shop will swap the 6" rotors the HMX comes with for 8"ers, remember it takes a different caliper to frame/fork adaptor for the big un's.

Similar Products Used: Avid, Formula, First year Hayes mechaical
Sebastien   Weekend Warrior [Jul 11, 2001]
Strength:

Good brake feel, modulate real well. Easy to install

Have a tendency to squeak sometimes.

These are real good brakes, they don't fade to fast even when used for dh. Really good and cheap alternative to hydrolic brakes. With these brakes you now that everytime you'll apply them they won't let you down. The only problem is sometimes they tend to squeak even after the break in period.

Similar Products Used: Hayes hydrolics, Magura Julie
mike   Weekend Warrior [Jul 11, 2001]
Strength:

they dont fade in wet conditions like i once found out when it was raining with v brakes. plus they just look cool

I have had these for a week now and im starting to wonder how long it actually takes to break them in . I can actualy ride with the back brake on full fom a stand still and pedal. they dont seem to make any more noise than my friends hydros and they take a lot of effort to pull

i think they are ok but would like hydraulics if i had the money. they seem to work ok but i hear that the avids are much better