CODA Disc Brakes Older Disc Brakes

• Fully hydraulic, twin-piston closed system brake designed for cross-country use
  • Dual pistons offer increased stopping power and controlled modulation
  • Easy to use barrel adjuster tunes brake response
  • Forged caliper features magnetic pad retention for easy pad replacement
  • Spring forced pad retraction eliminates parasitic brake drag
  • Long, three-finger lever with adjustable reach
  • Kevlar compound pads for all-weather braking performance and superior stopping power
  • Computer-optimized, heat-treated stainless steel rotors prevent distortion and reduce weight
  • Synthetic fluid developed by NASA to withstand extreme temperature variations

• User Reviews (83)

andy evans   Weekend Warrior [Dec 04, 2001]
    Strength:

they stop you, finally!

everything, the hoses are weak, they eat pads quickly, they only have a single caliper, they are hard to adjust and they hardly ever work and when they do they squeel

why? on such an expensive bike something better than these should be specced. Hope brakes are amazing and cost the same. function has been sacrificed over function and my light xtr v brakes beat them easily.

Similar Products Used: xtr v-brakes
    Scott Frazier   Cross Country Rider [Dec 03, 2001]
    Strength:

Well modulated

Poor stopping power

Had a chance to ride my friend's Jekyl 1000 with these brakes. The bike is new with less than 10 miles ridden.

The brakes are well modulated but have very poor stopping power. The Avid Single Digit 7 v-brakes on my Santa Cruz are far, far more powerful.

The previous reviewer said his Coda discs will endo with one finger. Why his, but not these?

Bob   Cross Country Rider [Feb 08, 2002]
    Strength:

These brakes work great. The pads last along time. East to adjust.

I believe from what I've read from other reviews, It's not the brakes that are crap. The bike mechanic who set them up couldn't get the air out. I'm an automotive technician by trade and understand hydraulic brakes and bleeding techniques. One small air bubble makes a big difference. more than likely there is an area in the system that is prone to have an air pocket. I can't complain about these brakes at all.

Peter   Racer [Oct 30, 2001]
    Strength:

-excellent modulation
    -once you learn, they are easy to bleed
    -lightweight, compact;perfect for XC racing

-had to bleed them over 7 times when I first got my bike in 2000.
    -I wish they were self-adjusting like Hayes
    -Coda Rotors are warped out of the box and make an annoying sound at higher speeds. Also, it takes several attempts to put the front wheel in so the the rotor does contact the pads.
    -Brake lever pivot came loose after a few months and rattles slightly in bumpy sections.
    -Pads squeel like pigs in wet and have decreased power in wet/muddy conditions
    -Side issue:Coda Huds are four bolt pattern(not compatible with anything except Hayes)

Fortunately, I have had good luck with these brakes unlike some of friends who use these brakes(as well as most of the reviewers). No, they are not the most powerful brakes on the market, but that can be an advantage sometimes. The lack of power in the front brakes has saved me many times by not locking up in panic stops on technical sections. Also, they modulate so well that it is easy to pin point the moment the rear wheel is going to lock up once you have used these brakes for a while and gotten the hang of their performance. The pads are still good after 2 years and that is with regular racing and trail riding. I expect to have them for another year. My biggest piece of advice is to learn how to bleed them and work on them. I was told the adapter kit increases power and overall performance considerably.

Similar Products Used: -Avid V-brakes on Trek 8000 I used to own
    Adonis Dadiz   Cross Country Rider [Oct 28, 2001]
    Strength:

They make great paper weights.

They came with the bike!

Hayes brakes are the way to go!!! I sent in the review regarding heating the CODA pads until they were red hot to burn off any oil residue that was on there. After the second time of burning these pads, it took one bad accident to deem my bike dangerous! I had to stop riding until I saved up enough for the Hayes Hydrolics!!!! What an AWESOME PRODUCT. A half-assed-shoddy job of installing them during my overnight shift, proved to be a success (they were still ten times stronger than CODA.) When I got to completing the job, I contaminated the pads and rotors with the brake oil by accident and they still managed to lock both wheels...I'm thoroughly impressed!!!! For those of you out there who love the CODA brakes, more power to ya. For those of you who say, "it makes you a better rider (without brakes)" you're wasting your time! These are the BOMB!!!!

Similar Products Used: Nothing out there can really suck so bad!!!
    jamie   Cross Country Rider [Nov 21, 2001]
    Strength:

progressive feel , stopping power

if useing sintered pads they pump up without much heat everyone seems to bag them

i don't understand all the bad reviews. Mine will endo with one finger and after I set them up need almost no adjustment. I am a mechanic so maybe have a better understandinng of hydraulics. These are the only discs i have used so if endo's with one finger is only not good please let me know.

Similar Products Used: stx rc v brakes
    Jeff Nelson   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2001]

Numerous. Most notably, I've stopped riding my bike as it:
    1. Doesn't stop
    2. Squeals like a tin trumpet
    3. Is F#$$%#**! dangerous.

These are the worst brakes I've ever used. I've had 3 Cannondale road bikes, all w/ Shimano products, and have been quite satisfied. The rest of the bike is great, except the brakes.

I've cleaned the pads, the rotors, and have done everything my LBS stated and they continue to squeal and not stop.

Honestly, I could probably stop better dragging my feet! I really feel ripped-off by Cannondale and am tired of trying to fix these brakes. After having read many of the reviews, I'm not going to take the bike in to try and fix the problem. It's very clear to me that these brakes just plain suck!

If these were on a car, they'd be recalled and the dealers would provide brand new brakes at no cost to the owner.

How 'bout it Cannondale? It sure would go a long way to keeping a long time (15 year) Cannondale customer.

James Feltman   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2007]
    Strength:

Rotters come warped straight form the factory. I actually had one of my rear pads fall out while going down a mountain. $ bolt design makes them hard to replace. STAY AWAY FROM THESE THINGS IF AT ALL POSSIBLE

COMPLETE GRABBAGE THEY JUST NEED TO BE THROWN AWAY

Fluffy   Cross Country Rider [Nov 20, 2001]
    Strength:

None.

Had to change pads 3 times in 3 months. They constantly need bleeding and adjusting. They don't stop the bike...

After slamming into a fence and into a tree twice(not the same tree), I have decided to have them replaced by Magura's. I hope they will be better. They must be, it's true what this guy said: even your shoes are better. I have bought a great bike, but I feel ripped off because off the brakes! I just hope my frame won't crack after hitting those stupid trees... Btw, I lost three teeth and I'm not talking about my crankset!

Similar Products Used: These were my first discs. Tried lots of V's. Even the Acera's on my friend's bike work better!
    Ed Young   Cross Country Rider [Sep 23, 2001]
    Strength:

Easy to setup and adjust.
    Great braking power, and modulation
    Reliable.

4 hole disk means non standard
    Discontinued on C'dale bikes means hard to find parts

As far as I'm concerned, these brakes are fantastic. I've never had any problems with them.
    They adjust easily and have been trouble free.
    Only problem was once when I crashed, I bent the rear disk. But all I had to do was open up the calipers so the rotor would pass and I could still brake even with a wowed out rotor. Would have happened with any disk brake system.
    These have been reliable for 1 year of hard use. Changed tha pads once and had no problem bedding them in or adjusting things.
    Too bad these brakes get a bad rap and have been discontinued. I'd buy another set.