Sugino Cranks Older Cranks

Cranks

Sugino Cranks

garrett   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2003]
Strength:

It does what it's supposed to: it cranks. It's also reasonably light, strong, and not ugly.

The rings that came with.

I crack up at all the negative reviews. It's an inexpensive crank, but it has lasted 5+ years, is NOT flexy, is light, and has a utilitarian beauty to it. Yeah sure, I've got Raceface Northshore XS and Cook Bros as well, and they are great, but I like the Sugino Impels just fine.

Similar Products Used: Raceface, Cook Bros, Shimano, Caramba.
Saby R   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2003]
Strength:

I guess you get what you pay for (Impel)

Does not look good at all, very flexy (compared to my new Race Face Next LP)

Right from the start I did not like this crank, I found it to be quite ugly and overall very blend. It always made noise and was resposible for a quite a few chain suck. As soon as I replaced it with Race Face Next LP, my speed imporved dramatically. Ok both cranks are at opposite end of performance line so it is not very fair to compare one another. Overall,there is no good reason to buy this crank new or used, there are better alternatives.

Similar Products Used: Race Face Next LP
William Syx-Spears   Weekend Warrior [Feb 27, 2002]
Strength:

Simplicity compact chainring design, good looks

Ehhh?

They work, simple and straight forward design with hex bolt mounting chainrings and a hole for da pedals! I do not understand the vitreol meeted out here against the Sugino cranks they are no better and no worse than any other upscale or aftermarket crank I've ever used. once you move away from 99 cent store one piece cranks the choices are mostly cosmetic, unless quality control is gastly. It is possible to kill a chainring or two I've even done so on my MANY, MANY, road bikes. I've sheared off pedals and bent crank arms. All on road bikes! considering the abuse MTB often take I'd be surprised if an awfull lot of chainrings, and/or crankarms did not get banged up. The Sugino line is not one you hould be afraid of if it comes stock on you bike like it did on mine do not worry about it. If your looking for a "New" sexy state of the art high tech crank. The Sugino line is not going to be your cup of tea. Sugino cranksets are too basic and utilitarian to attract that kind of attention. Sugino's are basic dull workhorses.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Sun Tour, Campagnolo, SR, Mavic, Ofmega, Gippieme,
Stronglight, TA, and who knows what else
weather expert   Weekend Warrior [Jan 28, 2002]
Strength:

i'm reviewing the impel 750. reasonably stiff, shifts well, good rings.

i don't have anything badto say. oh yeah you can say it's not as light as 1 gram and it's not as stiff as DH cranks. hey, we live in the real world.

this crankset came stock on a 96 fisher xcaliber. i bought the bike used, then used it for 2 years. over 300 dirt miles and close to 3000 road miles. no problems. the rings are still good after all the usage. it didn't bend or anything. now it's dutifully serving on my beater.

(i can't imagine someone would be s****d enough to use an XC crnakset for DH and jumping. this is plain absurd. but this seems to be a lot of reviewers doing here)

Similar Products Used: turbine square, prodigy isis
Steve Brant   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2002]
Strength:

(Mighty 900's) strength, length (172.5), value.

they get scratched when you use them?

Tough, never had any problems at all. I put in close to 75 miles a week on training rides during race season and abuse them terribly and after 7 years they are still in great shape. MIGHTY 900'S are bombproof!!!!

Similar Products Used: XT's, Ritcheys, LX's, CODA(crap).
artee   Downhiller [Jul 13, 2002]
Strength:

it did hold up for 6 months of downhill and urban riding and hucking.

it bent on the first 2 months then the drive side broke in half after doing a trackstand. i am SERIOUS.

i bought this crank for the price. well, i got exactly what i paid for. I didnt expect it to last anyway. the day before it broke, i remember hitting my pedals in a 2' high curb. then the next day, while practicing a trackstand, the right crank broke in half, amusing all my friends. value for money, id give this crank a 5. maybe this crank was made for smaller riders who ride light downhill and XC and wont mind the weight, it is heavy (who cares).

Similar Products Used: bontrager (another crappy crank), truvativ, raceface prodigy dh
Andrew   [Jun 24, 2006]
Strength:

They didnt break

Too much creaking!!!

This review is for the Sugino IMPEL crankset....

These will be a constant source of noise on your bike, because they are only melt-forged and fairly cheap. The Sugino rings shifted well but didnt last long enough, the cranks are extremely flexy

Sugino Mighty are meant to really good and Sugino used to make high end Ritchey and Suntour cranks, but Impel are just terrible

Similar Products Used: Raceface, Suntour XC Pro
Andrew   Weekend Warrior [Jul 19, 1999]

They are a REAL BAD product

My bike is in the shop for it's 30 day FREE tune up and the cranks are my only complaint. The shop can't seem to get them adjusted properly to the derailer. FLEX FLEX FLEX..... When i test rode the bike to take it home I bent one of the rings in the parking lot. GREAT!!!! I told them to keep the bike untill they could fix it right. Now I am waiting for a call from the Factory Rep. to see what they'll do. Can't blame the bike company for the BAD performance of Sugino Cranks. Maybe they will stop using them on their entry level bikes......................... I am hoping to get a free upgrade to XT cranks, we'll see..

Similar Products Used: None
Jim Frost   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 05, 1999]
Strength:

Cheap.

Cheesy hidden spider arm.

I got these because I found out rather belatedly that the '94 STX cranks did not accept standard compact drive rings. These were the cheapest thing I could get on short notice.I never used their rings (though they seemed kinda cheesy to me). I already had a set of Real rings (see my review elsewhere) and recently started using an XT middle.The cranks have worked just fine for me, no noticable flex and they've taken a helluva beating on rocks and whatnot. I've used both STX and XT BBs. I wonder if those complaining about flex were really seeing flex in the rings? I tend to torque it up when I hammer, to the point where I can flex the frame, but I've never felt anything in the crank area.The one thing I don't like is that one of the spider arms is hidden behind the crank arm. That requires a special nut and is a royal pain in the ass to put back together.These would be a solid 4 chilis for cheap-and-reliable but for that irritating spider arm.

Similar Products Used: STX, Race Face, XT 5-arm.
moe   cross-country rider [Sep 28, 1998]

This 3-tonne crankset sucks! It came stock on my 97 Rocky Oxygen, but has completely had the biscuit. Four chainring teeth are bent (not even on the outer ring either??) while the rest are all mush. The entire second ring is bent, as is my left crank-arm! I keep my drive train very clean and well-maintained, but it still turned out to be a piece of junk. Love the bike, hate the crankset. Likely going to XT ASAP!!