Grafton Crank Older Cranks

Grafton Joy Stix Crankset

Erik   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2006]
Strength:

Extremely nice finish, quality, workmanship and design. Reasonably light. Very stiff for the weight. Absolutely gorgeous. Very nice milling on back of crank, I consider it artwork. Made in USA. Unbelievable warranty. Company was run by a decent guy that actually rides

I cracked two of these cranks from the botom bolt hole out. But I am a 180 lbs rider and put out a lot of power. The third pair have lasted long enough to wear out the JIS taper. Which will death talisman of every 4 sided taper crank. So, in the end, I have concluded that Grafton superlight cranks were too light as he beefed them up to the 415g model. Almost all the breakage was due to his subcontractor ripping him off. Very few people would have stood behind their product without a class action lawsuit.

I am still using my Joystix in 2006. I am still riding my Excelerator pedals. Hence they value rating. They have outlasted several cranks. They have the gouges to prove they have been abused. I met the guy personally. The reason he decided to close his shop had nothing to do with the quality or design of his product.

Grafton Performance was Unconditionally Guaranteed. It takes a lotta love to do that.

Similar Products Used: Topline SLS, Sims(Grafton copy), Bullseye, Shimano XT, Suntour XC Pro(Sugino), ACforged7000, Caramba 7000 machined cranks. Raceface (North American made)
Planetarium   weekend warrior [Apr 03, 1996]

Better than other cranks that i've tried... but it's too pricy...did lots of heavy riding and stunts and seems no cracks yet...i have them on OCLV and they look really coooll !!!! But i need more than 122mm of B.B. to have it fix on my bike without touching the chainstay...so go for it...!!!

J. Daniel   cross-country rider [Apr 03, 1996]

My first set of lite-weight cranks. Hey these came out years ago and have changed very little. I bought a pair in 92, raced them for a season until the spider broke. Grafton warrantied their product and I haven't had a problem since. They're now on my backup bike and have proven to be reliable. The spindle hole can become enlarged with repeated removal and tightening so go easy. They are very well crafted and the one piece (no seperate spider) ensures no creaks from the driveside crankarm. Pick up a pair, they're worth it. Perhaps the only drawback is their slight flex when reallllly hammering.

Kevin   cross-country rider [Apr 05, 1996]

I've been riding my original Shimano LX cranks since I started mountain biking about six years ago because I didn't think aftermarket cranks could make a difference. Well I was wrong. I broke down and bought some Grafton Joy Stix cranks a month ago and have been extremely surprised by the stiffness of the Joy Stix cranks. When I'm hammering up a steep hill the stiffness of the crank helps push my bike forward with more less effort. I recommend the Joy Stix crank for anyone who wants a high quality, stiff, light crank that is from a company known for reliable high quality parts. Plus they look really cool!

Tim Kalina   cross-country rider [Jan 24, 1997]

I have been using these cranks on one of my bikes for over four years now. In the first two years, I cracked as many cranks. The last replacement, which was redesigned, has held up great for the past two years. But I don't trust CNCed cranks anymore as too many variables are involved in making a good, strong crank. Cold forged is the only way to go. Grafton did replace both pairs (charging only for shipping) but it took nearly two months to get one pair.

bill   racer [Jan 08, 1997]

give me a break cause thats what i did to 2 sets of those over priced
pieces of crap!!!

Lee   Cross Country Rider [Mar 08, 2001]
Strength:

Very Light,and Stiff

Can no longer buy them

The one thing I have never had a problem with on my bike is these cranks. I have ridden them hard from the downhill at Brian Head to Cross Country in Mexico. I have never seen a hint of Cracking. I only wish Grafton was still around.

Similar Products Used: Truvativ, XTR
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2000]
Strength:

Stiff and light

I have had these mated to an XTR bottom bracket for 4 years and never a hint of trouble. I weigh 180 lbs and ride my bike hard as i can. sucks that people had trouble cause they are really a great crank.

Similar Products Used: Xt, Lx and DX
Cdale   Weekend Warrior [Jun 22, 1999]
Strength:

Sharp looking, make good swizzle stix.

They crack!

Be very wary if you still own a set of these! Mine cracked down by the bolt on the non-drive side. Grafton was as good as they could be about replacement (they were probably just about ready to go out of business). They sent me a replacement crank- I sold the pair to a friend, and soon after, he cracked them. YOW!! Had the Race Face for a while and love 'em! (See the Race Face reviews if you don't believe me!)

Similar Products Used: Race Face, Shimano
Tim Nielsen   racer [Feb 07, 1999]

I think its only fair to Grafton to point out that the reason why the original run of Joy Stix had so many cracking problems was that the idiots contracted out to do the CNC of John Grafton's design intentionally substituted a slightly more inexpensive and much weaker alloy for the 7005 that John spec'ed in a effort to increase profits by a few cents per crank. Grafton sucked it up and warrantied countless sets of cranks nearly bankrupting his heretofore nicely-up-and coming company. Grafton makes top quality stuff and stands behind it.I have a polished pair prototypes I bought at Interbike years ago that are the only old part on an otherwise brand new $4500 ride I put together last summer. They flex a little under hard loads, but at 360 grams I can't complain.