CODA Tarantula TX3 Older Cranks

Tarantula TX3

• Offers the same features as
  • Tarantula Competition cranksets (see features, above)
  • Lower "Q" factor than XTR crankset when used with a splined 112.5mm B.B.
  • 170-175mm 22/32/44T chainrings, 58/94mm BCD
  • Using a 112.5mm splined bottom bracket, the TX3 is optimized for the 9-speed drive train

• User Reviews (11)

Jesse   Weekend Warrior [Jan 03, 2000]
    Strength:

relatively light, rings last

lateral flex, spider works loose

This crank is fine if it comes w/ your bike. However, I would never buy it as an upgrande. The spider on mine has slipped 1/8 turn and I am waiting for it to die (hopefully soon so I can get new LX hollowtech for 72$). Additionally, the large ring flexes up to about 3mm side to side when peddling strenuously.

Similar Products Used: LX, XTR, RF Turbine
    Rob Butner   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 04, 2000]
    Strength:

Looks, strength, stiffness, and weight(lighter than XTR for less $$$).

black paint may come off....

Great cranks. After I had them installed I took em' out and beat them on a great trail and they are just perfect. Shifiting is great. The stiffness is the most amazing thing. NO FLEX. The splined feature is a bonus and makes it compatible with an XTR bottom bracket. WOW!

Similar Products Used: Son of Strongarm(previous crankset), with cheap rings
    C B   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2000]
    Strength:

cheaper and lighter than XTR

Bolts kept coming loose and eventually destroyed my cranks and Cannondale would do nothing

I liked them for a while until the bolt kept coming loose which caused the splined system to wear. This caused a slight motion between the crank and bottom braket which was very annoying. Then they just wore out. Cannondale is a big company who should have been able to do something...they did nothing.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT hollow, LX
    Mike   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2000]
    Strength:

Flex, flex to the point of breaking......bad.....

This crank broke just over a year.....and Cannondale would not replace it. I am very unhappy!! I am going to get race face this time, no more of that bull.

Similar Products Used: coda 501...untill re-call
    Nick Corcoran   Racer [Feb 08, 2000]
    Strength:

Worked great... till it snapped
    Stiff even though I'm a fairly powerful rider

It snapped...

These cranks were good and worked well for over a year and a half until I was doing starts this morning inside on the running track with my coach and he was holding me back with a towel and 2nd set 2nd pedal stroke it snapped in the same place the guy below broke it( clean break straight across 2 inches below bolt right above the C in CODA)... not sure whether to hate it or still love it cus it got the job done well. I think I'm gonna go for Race Face or Shimano cranks cus I need new chainrings and stuff. I've had a pedal axle break when I was 8 and remember how much that hurt on the road... same side so I consider myself lucky I wasn't going very fast and didn't fall at all.

Similar Products Used: Cheap cranks
    frankinator   Weekend Warrior [Feb 03, 2000]
    Strength:

As stiff as the CAAD4 frame it pushes

Limited BB options

I am reviewing the ones that say CODA then USA below it inside a big oval (Competitions?). These things are comparable to Raceface (there's your can of worms) as far as stiffness is concerned. It's even in the XTR weight class! Bonus! You can convert it to the vaunted Dale 2X9 in a cinch too. Be prepared to be limited on your BB choices though as it is splined in the XTR/DuraAce/Ultegra pattern. Also that finish rubs off but who wants a pretty Mtn bike? I wouldn't buy this crank aftermarket tho coz you can get sumthin' that says XTR on it for the price that CODA wants for these (maybe functionally/qualitatively the same, but you complete your poser image more with XTRs).

I got me a Dale and it seats abt 20.

Similar Products Used: Raceface Turbine LP, Specialized S.O.S.
    Iceman   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 01, 1999]
    Strength:

Light, SUPER STIFF & shift well.

The black color wears off quickly.

Just got a smoking deal on this crank from a bud, it rocks!! My 1st ride out with it I pushed a solid .4mph faster average for 18 miles!! I now find myself staying seated longer & not needing to rise out for power.

Similar Products Used: XTR & Coda CF2
    ted   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 13, 1999]
    Strength:

Doesn't piss on the carpet.

I am currently waiting for my third, count'em, crank arm to arrive from Cannondale, second arm for the right side. They crack off cleanly about two inches above the bolt.

Very unimpressed with strength of this product, and follow up from Cannondale. Their only come back was to move to a forged crank. Damn good suggestion, but not what you want to hear after dropping the coin for one of these bad boys.

Similar Products Used: LX, Sugino
    steve   Weekend Warrior [Apr 03, 1999]
    Strength:

stiff
    light
    looks

none that i have found yet

great crank with the weight xtr with the knee friendly gears of xt

Similar Products Used: shimano lx,xtr
    Ed   weekend warrior [Mar 08, 1999]

I have the Tarantula crank on my CAAD4 frameset and have been pleased so far. I had a bit of trouble at first with the self extracting crank bolts working their way out but once I put some blue loctite on the bolts, I haven't had any more problems. The crank is only compatible with splined bottom brackets and I am using the XTR but I have heard good things from people who have used either the Dura Ace or the Ultegra bottom brackets. The bottom bracket is quite noisy though and has a tendency to creak when pedaling hard. The arms are incredibly stiff and are lighter than the XTR cranks. If you are buying this crank for cosmetic reasons, don't. The black coating wears off extremely quickly and is silver underneath. Overall I would have to give the crank five chillis but I would like to see some work done on the BB.