Boone Crank Older Cranks

Boone Twist Crankset

[Oct 15, 1997]
Bill Manry
cross-country rider

I bought a used pair of these in 177.5mm length. Been using them on a Bontrager RaceLite with a Kooka ti BB (122mm spindle) and Bebop pedals. I weigh 170 lbs. and do a moderate amount of jumping and they've held up fine over about 900 miles. A while back I noticed that the spider is very slightly cocked...this shows up as about 1mm of runout at the edge of my 46t ring. This doesn't seem to create any problems as the spider is still tightly fastened to the crank arm i.e. there's no play. (I would guess that all two-piece designs are prone to this kind of thing.)
Summary: I'm satisfied.

[Oct 04, 1999]
Steven
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Ultra-stiff; no flex whatsoever.

None that I am aware of.

I purchased a new set for a song directly from Bruce via his ad on MTBR.com; he is no longer operating as a business, but did/does have some left-overs from his original inventory. They are incredibly stiff, with no perceptible deflection even under the biggest loads. Unique in design, with a hard-anodized finish that stays put. Feel free to e-mail me for a picture of the cranks.

White Industries crankset, XTs.

[Apr 23, 1999]
Kumquat

Strength:

Stiff
Cool looks

Threads stripped too easy

I want to withdraw my previous good review of these cranks, as after using these for a few months the threads on the spider to attach the small ring are ALL stripped, and one of the bolts is actually missing as a result of falling out on the trail. As far as I know, Boone is no longer in business, so no manufacturer warranty remedy for it. Thankfully, Performance has a satisfaction guarantee.......Race Face here I come!!

XT cranks
CODA cranks

[Feb 12, 1999]
Kumquat
weekend warrior

Got these for $90 from Performance to replace stock CODA cranks on my 'Dale. What a difference!! Zero flex, now the bike accelerates even better than before. Plus, they look cool with that twist in the arms. One problem (?) though, they only just clear my front derailleur when it's in the big ring, there's about 1mm or less clearance there. And that's using the manufacturer's recommended BB spindle length (122mm). Overall though, great crankset.

[Apr 25, 1998]
Keith
cross-country rider

Good cranks, but I f**ked up the threads holding on the little ring, and now I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm trying to locate a new spider, but I don't think it's going to be easy. The cranks are sharp looking, and work well enough, but it sure sucks to f**k up expensive parts.

[Apr 12, 1998]
jeff
weekend warrior

i bought these and they suck ass i don't think that anyone should ever buy these
mine are shit i had to sell them for way less than what i paid. like i got no enjoyment out of these at all. if you want a good crankset go with xtr or race face

[Nov 12, 1997]
robert
cross-country rider

My Cooks Bros RSR cranks just bit the dust...The square hole through which the spindle passes wallerred out to the point that the spindle would come out the other end. So, I bought my second set of Boone cranks. (The first set is on my road bike). What a difference! I thought that the creeking I was always getting was from my bottom bracket...Well it must have been from the cranks because now it is gone. Also, It is amazing how much stiffer they are. I never realized how much flex I had till it was gone. The only bad thing is that Bruce is not making these any more. Oh, well.

[Dec 13, 1996]
Jeff King
cross-country rider

Very nice product and great company. One of the few high end cranks that you can get (read: really buy, today not 6 mos.), in a large selection of lenghts. The are stiff enough and pretty lite. But I still think the new XTR is damn hard to beat. p.s. The helix BB is very nice also.

[Aug 05, 1996]
Andreas Hagenbauer
racer

The Boone Twist cranks absolutely rules, superlight and still ultrastiff, they are by far the best on the market, far better than the rest of the aftermarket stuff.

[Mar 10, 1997]
Kyle Bielenberg
racer

This review is for their BB Which is totally awsome their is no flex what so ever which i thought their would be because im riding 180 American Classic Cranks. It is also a really light unit and the bearings are really smooth. When your installing it don't use a shimano or park bottom bracket tool use the new trek(snap on) tool it work a lot better and won't slip.