Thule Mission Control Older Bike Rack

Thule Mission Control

Kavenator   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 02, 1999]
Strength:

Beefy, Easy to dis/assemble, Bikes fit w/o removing wheels, Come with locks, Fits in the tunk of my Miata!!!

Some parts are clearly inferior, but Thule probably did not design it to be removed and replaced almost every day,

This is THE IDEAL hitch for a Miata. It is incredibly strong, does not touch the car body, and leaves plenty of trunk room. When i'm not using it, it fits snugly in the trunk along with my camelbak, helmet, shoes, and other gear.

Similar Products Used: 3 Strap on rack designs and one hitch rack (it broke with bikes on it)
Art   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 19, 1999]

The Mission Control is the base that attaches to the receiver hitch on your vehicle. You can get it in 2 or 1.25 versions, according to the size of your hitch. It's strong and looks good and there's a lock that comes with it. Then you can attach any of the Thule Docking Stations to carry bikes, skis, whatever. It has a hydraulic pivot system so you can move it out of the way, with the bikes still mounted, so you can open your trunk or hatch. We have the 2 version for our SUV. The neat thing is, when we need a 1.25 mount for the car, we won't have to buy a entire new bike rack for it. Just get the 1.25 Mission Control unit and take the Docking Station 925 off the truck, put it on the car and you're ready to go. It's the best set-up I've seen out there, and mates well with the Docking Stations. Easy set-up and use, too.

Similar Products Used: Rhode Gear, other cheap racks.
Peter McHenry   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2001]
Strength:

We have four bikes. Two do not have crossbars. The Mission Controls attachment using the crank and petals worked fine. One issue, you have to remove all kickstands.

My F350 CrewCab pickup on interstates beats the daylights out of the Mission Control rack. I have had two fail at highway speeds. The weld between the base and the bike supports peels away. I'm glad I had tied the bikes down in addition to the crank attachment.

For SUV or family cars the Mission Control seems fine, BUT on real truck and/or rough roads this product is not safe with four mountain bikes!

Similar Products Used: None.