Giant Pistol 1 Older All Mountain Bikes

• Saddle: WTB Pure V Comp
  • Pedals: Platform
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore

north rider   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2009]
Strength:

Great frame geometry, heavy duty, good and decent fork, shocks and shimano deore components

-a bit heavy
-rear shocks placement - but some riders (like me) prefer to put their bottles in the back packs

Okay its 2009 and Im reviewing a 2006 Giant Pistol 1, well why now? Its simple, why not? I got the bike brand new in a LBS. Its a good price compared to other bikes that may start at 2k. The bike is very solid, beefy frame and the ride is smooth. It is a bit heavy. It is recommended for entry level to intermediate riders. Its great for cross country, trail riding, a bit of downhill (not extreme downhill), 4 foot jumps and everyday riding.
The Giant company is a veteran competetor, so like other brand names, it is reliable.
It is a four for me, coz you can always upgrade parts.

Similar Products Used: giant atx 840, Giant Yukon and GT Mountain Bikes
holycrikey   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 2008]
Strength:

Great frame design, great price (used), decent Shimano Deore components.

Components could have been a bit better, rear shock placement isn't the most brilliant design ever, change of components from 2006 to 2007 model lowers overall quality. A bit on the heavy side at over 30 lbs.

I was able to scoop up a used 2006 Pistol 1, and I feel that it is a GREAT entry-level full-suspension bike. The market for them is phenomenal right now. I feel that the components via the 2006 Pistol 1 are far better than the 2007 version. I really don't know why Giant decided to drop the Tora 302 for an SR XCR, the Hayes Sole for the MX4's and the Vanilla R for their no-name Giant coil spring. Maybe they needed to cut some corners? I'm just not quite sure why Giant decided to swap to what I consider to be slightly inferior parts on the 2007 model. That being said, I'd highly recommend the 2006 model unless a 2007 can be had at a killer price. The Fox Vanilla R rear shock is a decent shock/spring set-up, but as others have noted, the way Giant has mounted it to the frame is a bit odd, and doesn't allow that much else to be mounted should it break or should the rider tire of it. The Shimano Deore components are definitely alright, but I do wish they would have at least put LX components on it. The Tora 302 is a decent fork for intermediate/advanced trails and should last awhile. Remember that this is not a downhill/free-ride bike. It is also a bit heavy, at over 30 pounds. But again, it's full suspension, so I expect some add heft. The frame can definitely take a beating though. Very solid! If you want an entry-level full suspension bike, I think this would be a fantastic choice, especially considering the used market. I don't know if there is a better bargain out there. I'm giving it 4 chilis because there is always room for improvement.

Similar Products Used: Various Giant Boulder's/Rincon's/XTC's, older Diamondbacks.
Maddog   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2008]
Strength:

Hydraulic Disk Brakes and Full Suspension.
Nice look to it: Love at first sight for me and had to take it home!

1)It is a bit heavy (approx 35.5 lbs.)
2)Due to rear shock position, no good place to mount a bottle cage. I had to go aftermarket with a velcro mount one and hang it someplace else.

Why am I, in 2008, reviewing a 2006 Bicycle? Why not? I just got it. Maybe your local bike shop has one sitting around too and you're wondering if you should buy it.

I know the Giant name isn't looked up to like Trek, Specialized or others, but I liked my last Giant. They are pretty good quality.

Mine was a leftover so I picked it up for $900 instead of the original price of $1100. Why nobody snatched it up before is beyond me.

It's a nice bike and replaced my Giant Yukon hardtail. The hydraulic disk brakes are very nice. I read the bad reviews on those brakes but I have no complaints of my own. The front fork soaks up bumps real good. The rear shock, I'd say so-so (although this is my first bike w/ rear suspension so I may be a bad judge).

Overall it is a very nice bike and I got mine at what I consider to be a fair price.

Similar Products Used: Giant Yukon and GT Mountain Bikes
maor   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2006]
Strength:

very good strong quick and "beafy" frame with good geometry for all mountain ride with still a reasonable weight for xc.
the fork and the rear suspension give an almost bobing free ride and yet give more than enough travel when you need it. the option to change the travel on the fork help when going up-hill.

the bike came with deore and it more than recomended to upgrade to xt if you find yourself on trail often.
for free-ride wannabe i'd recommend a harder spring on the rear suspention.
for weight freeks - a bit heavy

an Excellent package with Excellent value for $$$.
for minimal cost you can upgrade and get top of the line parts and a real all-mountain bike that can climb with grace and go down like mad!!!