Marzocchi Z.1 FR 2002 Front Shocks

• 130mm travel
  • NEW open bath HSCV cartridge
  • NEW multi-circuit damping design
  • Extension Control Cartridge (ECC)
  • Coil springs
  • BAM Powerwrap M-arch
  • External preload & rebound control
  • 30mm aluminum stanchions
  • NEW QR20PLUS (optional)

• User Reviews (40)

Davide   Cross Country Rider [Dec 07, 2001]
    Strength:

I recently purchase my second Z1 (the first one a 1996 whihc is now on my hardtail) after a long (interal!) debate between Z1, Atom Bomb, and Fox Vanilla. This is why I got it:

Weight: it is actually in the same range of comparable (100 to 130mm) offerings from Fox (Vanilla) and Rock Shock (Psylo) (see, e.g., weightweenies.starbike.com), that is 1900 grams plus or minus 100 (+-5%).

Rigidity. It is a really rigid fork, which tracks with extreme precision. The magnesium M-arch and little details like longer sturdier brake bosses are improvement in respect to older models.

Reliability. My 1996 Z1 is still working perfectly, all I had to do in 5 years was to change the seals once, I expect the new one to be as reliable. All the other forks I owned in the last five years (Judy, SID) disintegrated to different extents. Parts are easily available, and (almost unheard of in the industry), they fit from year to year. Example, the seals of a the 2002 lineup are all the same they fit forks as far back as 1996!

Adjustability: spring preload, rebound, different spring weight (including factory progressive), and oil level allow a perfect set up. The fork is really easy to work on, removal of one top bolt gains access to the internals.

My set up: Progressive (orange) spring, 55 mm (from top) oil, 4 turns rebound, 4 turns preload.

Slow speed performance: nothing seem to exist. If my STS rear suspension was as effective as the front I would just be floating over the terrain.

Fast speed: at my weight, 150 pounds, it is really really difficult to upset this fork. The GT works really well at a faster pace and the combination of the two (fork+bike) is quite exceptional.

Travel-reduction/EEC: I think the EEC is the best travel reduction system on the market. It is not a lock out, but effectively reduces the length of the fork on an uphill while retainin bumb absorption capability. A travle reduction system is what you want, especially if your fork has more than 100 mm travel. A lock out on a long travel (>100) is not that useful and it might be detrimental: it puts you in the worst possible position for climbing, exacerbating the "chopper effect".
    Rock-shock U-turn or the ECC are the way to go.

It would be nice to have a compression adjustment dial. A beefier magnesium construction (right now only the crown is magnesium) might improve rigidity even further (for the same weight).

the Z1 is still an exceptional fork which keeps getting better. You simply cannot go wrong with this product.

Similar Products Used: Rock shock Judy, SID, Psylo, Fox Vanilla, Marzocchis
    simon smith   Downhiller [Dec 02, 2001]
    Strength:

Looks, plushness, lock out, 5 inches of travel, no flex, reliable (marzocchi all over)

None!!!!!!!!

Better than any other 5 inch forks i've tried and looks to die for. this is a great fork for jumping, deul and a bit of uk downhilling, and the lock out helps to get places.

Similar Products Used: Physlo sl (nice idea on lockout but mine broke) and z1 drop offs
    Alex   Downhiller [Feb 07, 2002]
    Strength:

Great Shox they kick ass nasty rebound. They are so strong they will never break. I have done so many nasty 5+ foot drops

Kick Ass Shox

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Psylo
    BoB Hoad   Downhiller [Dec 06, 2001]
    Strength:

Looks, plush &progressive travel, good lockout and its very stiff, adjustable travel

This fork blows the competition out of the water, Marzocchis are just too heavy and they bottom out too easily. theses forks are very reliable and it is really usefull to be able to adjust the travel (the lockout is good for road too) You will not find better forks, so don't buy Marzocchi crap, by good stuff

Similar Products Used: Z5's, Z3's and Z1fr's
    Wil   Downhiller [Jan 31, 2002]
    Strength:

Fairly Stiff in Yaw Direction with QR20
    Super Plush
    ECC is very nice on short technical climbs

Weak Stock Springs (I weigh 200 lbs)
    Weak Heavy Springs (I only weigh 200 lbs)
    Isn't as stiff as I would have thought
    Kind of cheese-z 20mm hub design with respect to the bolted on wrap arches
    Bank

This fork is pretty nice for the kind of riding I do. I like doing drops, but only up to 5 or so feet. I like doing long rides (40 miles) and this bike is great for that. My bike setup is pretty heavy compared to a lot of people's bikes (33 lbs), but I have not broken a thing in a long ass time. If you weigh anywhere near 200 lbs, send away and get the heaviest springs possible. I think these springs are still a little weak though. Also get the QR20, for the extra money and weight, it is worth the steering precision, which is wonderful, but I am sure a hell of a lot better than the non QR20. ECC is a great idea. I use it at least once a ride, mainly up really steep uphills, as it feels like my whole bike is locked out. Overall if you got the money, but it. Much better than anything Rock Shox or Manitou could put out.

Similar Products Used: Owned (Marzocchi Z-4, Rock Shox Judy XC, Rock Shox Mag 10)
    Tested many more
    Jadyn   Weekend Warrior [Jan 29, 2002]
    Strength:

-This fork with QR20 Plus system is a very stiff and strong combo
    -Very nice feel to the travel
    -ECC is neat, but I doubt I'll ever use it!

-Bolt on crowns seemed better...
    -Really expensive: msrp $625, but Pricepoint has 'em for $500

This fork is really nice so far...such a difference from my last one! The travel is plush and the fork is stiffer than the Jr. T. I have had much more confidence on drops since I got this fork. Just recently, I took it off a 12 foot drop several times and it performed perfectly!

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Z5-piece of crap!
    Andy Sharples   Weekend Warrior [Jan 21, 2002]
    Strength:

Plush, Bombproof, ECC and 130mm of reliable travel

A little on the heavy side.

An exceptional fork for an exceptional bike. Highly recommended for extreme xc riding. The ECC eliminates bob when climbing standing up and perfectly reduces the 130mm travel when climbing steep technical single track. I think the ECC and proven reliability of the Z1 outweighs the weight saving offered by the Fox Vanilla.

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla
    sam   [Jan 12, 2002]
    Strength:

travel- 130mm. it is plush but doesnt seem to bottom out. doesnt flex. Super strong. weight is no problem. it has easy adjustmaents and ecc, which has worked fine for me, but i dont use it much.

great fork. in my opinion the best singlew crown freeride fork ever, other then the shiver sc. if you freeride or urban assult this is the fork for you. you can use it for a bit of xc, but it isnt something i would buy for xc racing.

Similar Products Used: z.5, rock shox jett xc, z.1 mcr
    greg o'neill   Downhiller [Nov 23, 2001]
    Strength:

Looks sharp as always, really easy to take apart and assemble again, if your a cross country rider gettign into freeride- you'll dig the lock out option. And the warranty is amazing I have to admit, very fast.

I don't know why people in this industry always have to re-invent the wheel just to keep the product looking fresh and to insure sales. This shock was very high on my list until they changed it. 4 problems: lock out option has almost broken my neck by landing with it on by mistake after bumping it or what ever, causing it to turn into a rigid front on landing. 2 the stanctions are now fused to the crown unlike last years where you undo four bolts and the stanctions pop loose. this makes for alot of creeks and groans when ever you do nose manuals or flicks, very scary sound that takes my trust away from it's strenght. 3 Those friggen bottom caps for the 20mml axles just make for even more flex in the fork and if you loose one it's $125 canadian to replace (supply and demand)for a $10 peice. They shouldn't be telling everyone thAt you can ride the fork without the caps in place. That is a huge liability for them, your tire will pop right off with enough impact and side pressure since if you look the axle only has 55% of it actually covered by the fork unlike last year when it was 80%and sucked in tight.. 4 The fused crown looks cool but is too tightly angled if you want to run a 2.7 up front and you end up tweaking your rim out on a landing it will get pinched and you fly. Remember the old ones where if you wanted to increase teh hight of the crown you just take it off and buy another! I know I sound bitter, it's just that I have lost both my bottom caps already and have to pay $250 to replace and with all the flex in this fork I have yet to really huck it like I used to on my old set up because they simply just don't have the balls to take it. And I guess I may aswell mention that it tends to be very slow if you add anything heavier than stock oil in these forks, usually I throw in 10 weight and 220- 260 springs but this year it's as light of oil as possible (2.5)or your fork will be asleep on the bumps.

these lines of forks have always rocked and you will love them if you aren't relying on them to be a big hit fork. You shouldn't have to buy a fork from the shop and spend another 200 bucks getting it dialed in to your liking, they should know what people are going to use their forks for and simply beef them up. It really is a good low maintenece fork I recomend it over anything out their if your not into high maintenece performance shocks. Enough bithcing, I'm boring myself too.

Similar Products Used: Manitou millenium and x-vert tpc, marrazochi dropoff, z3- 20ml and z1-
    Giuliano   Weekend Warrior [May 08, 2003]
    Strength:

Strong, plush, lockable.

A bit flexy, quite heavy (2.05Kg), no compression damper adjustment, no boots, quite expensive.

It's very soft and plush. Perhaps this fork is too big for my hardtail bike, but it works fine. It adsorbs everything and I can go uphill on trails with stairs quite easily. No need to lift the front weel at every root. The ECC also works fine and it's VERY useful when you ride on road. If I don't lock it, the bike bobs way too much. It flexes more than I expected, but it isn't annoying.
    It's definitely a good fork.