Marzocchi Atom Race 2002 Front Shocks

Marzocchi Atom Race 2002 Front Shocks

• 80mm or 100mm travel
  • NEW Open Bath HSCV Cartidge
  • Extension Control Cartridge (ECC)
  • Coil springs
  • MAG Powerwrap M-Arch
  • External Rebound Control
  • 30mm Aluminum Stanchions

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 10, 2008]
    FcPhun

Strength:

Solid, solid
    Plush, smooth

I went back to Marzocchi, and I am GLAD I did!

They make awesome forks and this one does everything I need it to, plus Larry at Mountain High Cyclery gave me a great deal on an '02. I ride a lot and it is a low maintenance, durable fork.

Don't mess with RS or Manitou- get a Marzocchi (or maybe a Fox if you want to pay a lot more).

[Jun 08, 2003]
    nick m

Strength:

durability, handles every kind of terrain, doesnt bottom out harshly, and everything else

ecc lever can be hard to flip while riding

awesome fork had it for about 2 1/2 months had the stiffest springs put in and this thing rocks. have had absolutely no problems at all handles everything for little bumps to mid drops. i dont use the the lockout i find it unneccesary but it worked well when i tried it out. ideal fork for the all around trail rider who might enter a few races.

manitou sx, manitou black comp

[Sep 04, 2003]
    FcPhun

Strength:

Solid, solid
    Plush, smooth

Don't need/use lock out much.

I went back to Marzocchi, and I am GLAD I did!

MARS Elite

[Dec 08, 2001]
    Davide

Strength:

This fork is almost as good as the Z1 MCR with the advantage of a little less weight. Otherwise the fork is almost perfect for hard XC.

Weight: it is one of the leaders for coil/open bath. It is actually lighter than Psylo, Black and Z1.

Strength: really solid and rigid, it feels even more strong than the Z1 probably due to the 1" less of travel. Construction is tops. What other makers still refused to do (aluminum fittings, no plastic) (with the exception of Fox) has been in place with Marzocchi for 6 years.

Bump absorption: extremely good both at slow and high speed. Extremely and easily adjustable.

EEC/travle reduction: the best system on the market. The ECC is a rebound based system, it keeps the fork from rebounding once activated. It is perfect for a bike going uphill because it puts your body in a much better position. Lock out devices are not that effective because put you in the worse position to climb AND loose all bump absorption.

The EEC lever could be a bit larger

This is one of the best forks on the market. Relatively light, adjustable, with the best reavle reduction system on the market. Perfect if you need 100mm (if you need more go to the sweet Z1).

RS Psylo, SID, Judy, Marzocchis

[Dec 18, 2001]
    Dirt Surfer

Strength:

Plushness, Stiffness, ECC-Lockout, Looks (no fork boots), no hassle with shock pumps.

Weight - does not match the advertised weight of 3.5lbs !
    It's rather 4lbs.

This thing feels good !
    I rode it only for a couple of times so far but it's really promising. After two rides of about 3 hours it's now breaking in and getting even better than before. Technical Singletrack is now even more fun as one can really keep on rolling and the fork provides more control in the difficult sections. It's easier to stay on the choosen line on the trail as the fork tracks much better than the SID. This all results in a more confident and smooth ride -> it's just fun ! With the SID, I was just too often out of control as it was flexing like hell and the poor damping cartridge could not handle rough trails (with lota roots and rocks). This sucked and was NO FUN. The ECC lockout is a good thing when driving on the road and on very steep climbs. In the latter case the travel reduction results in a lower front end which makes extremely steep climbs much easier. So far the lockout works very good.
    I will post a follow up in a few months.

Bottom line: To my opinion this fork is great for the advanced allround trail biker -> real moutain bikers, no roadies on mountainbikes, no "racers". If you like surfing singletrail, prefer riding to repairing, if you live for the ultimate experience of free of that one perfect day out on the trail, this fork is your partner ! However if you prefer riding just dirtroads and pavement, get a Judy. If you're a gramm counter, get a SID or a Mars Super or Marathon S.

RS Mag 21, '99 RS SID XC, Manitou FS Ti, Rigid Forks (in the earlier days)

[Mar 10, 2002]
    agent grape

Strength:

OIL AND COIL FEEL EEC LOCKOUT

NONE SO FAR

I TRIED THE XFLY100 BUT COULDNT GET THE FEEL I LIKED IT WAS EITHER TOO STIFF OR TOO SLOPPY. SO I WENT THE OLD COIL&OIL
    DAMPED ROUTE. WY FIRST RIDE WAS SO MUCH BETTER EVEN THOUGH THE FORK WASNT BROKEN IN. THE ECC LEVER WORKS WELL BUT I DONT THINK ITS SOMETHING I WILL USE VERY MUCH ONLY ON BALLBUSTING CLIMBS. AS ALWAYS SUPERIOR ITALIAN LOOKS DONT HURT. ALSO AFTER BUYING THE NEW FORK I FOUND OUT THAT THE XFLY CAN BE CONVERTED TO COIL SPRINGS!

Z3QR20 ATOM 80 XFLY100 SID RACE RS JETT RST 381

[Apr 26, 2004]
    Jan Solar

Strength:

see other reviews...

CREAKS !!!

This fork creaks (in cryofit). Marzocchi say that each third fork (production year 2002) has this problem and that it doesn't affect functionality. So I try to ignore it. Otherwise, this fork is awesome.

Z1, Z2, Judy, Black, Skareb, Suntour XC-Pro-SL, ...

[Jul 16, 2002]
    Steven

Strength:

Good Amount of travel for the weight, ECC control, external adjustments, sweet looks, very stiff

Marzocchi forks are awesome and are very hardy, but every fork I have bought from Marzocchi doesn't have enough oil in it. Not a huge issue but can be annoying. The ECC doesn't seem to hold and slowly rises back up.

This Fork rocks. I got this fork because I didn't gain much weight and at the same time my riding has improved. Very reliable and is bomb proof.. As I wrote in the weakness section the ECC is slipping and the oil level wasn't properly filled. Even with these complaints I will stick with Marzocchi because of how well this fork performs. I don't think I will ever buy a sid just for the weight advantage because it makes the ride so harsh and basically "less fun". Keep up the good work Marzocchi. 5 chilis for value and 4 for Overall because of improper levels and slippage. If you want a fork that is almost maintence free and is still light enough to race with... look no further.

98' Atom Bomb, Manitou CL, 98' Z1 Bam, 00' QR20.

[Oct 24, 2001]
    Irwin

Strength:

The 2002 100mm Atom Race I have on my ellsworth is totally
    awesome. I find it to be very nimble and handles well. I don't like too much preload because I don't weogh that much. I have a SID SL on my Santacruz Hecler and there's no comparison. this baby really takes the hits.

I little on the heavy side.

This fork is a winner

Rock Shox SIS SL 80mm

[Feb 06, 2003]
    Simon

Strength:

Stiff
    Looks hot
    so smooth

Stickers peel

This fork does everything they say it will. It works great, ecc works, plushest fork ive ridden (including fox), doesnt leak....no flex...simply a great all around fork. I race XC on it. The confidence i have on the downhills thanks to this fork is well worth the extra pound. No complaints, except that going from 80 to 100mm, i slackened the head angle a bit, but thats not the forks fault.

Sid SL, fox vanilla