RST EL 281 Front Shock

Chris Kuhn   [Dec 03, 2001]
Strength:

It's better than a ridge fork, by far.

Very little travel and zero dampening. It also sticks a little, even after heavy lube.

I was combining 2 junkers (that I got for free!)together a beater bike that could ride into town and not have to lock up. All I had was a ridged fork. I haven't riden ridged forked bike in years. It was horible. I could feel it snap my neck around on the slightest bump. I foound this fork used at one of the local shops for $20. What a deal! It only has like, 65-70mm of travel, but it is by far better than a ridged fork! Don't buy this fork if you plan on taking it out on a real trail, buy something with more travel and some dampening!

Similar Products Used: I once had a Rock Shox Jett XC, which also has next to nothing in the dampening department.
Dan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2001]
Strength:

Value, value, value

Not great for exteme riding

I've read several reviews on the RST 281 and have concluded that most of the people who get this fork expect too much from it. It isn't the best fork in the world, for sure....but it is quite adequate for people who are, a) not into racing, b) not into jumping off of houses with this fork, c) bombing downhill, d) not too large. I'm lucky in that I'm a fairly small guy....135 lbs. My bike is used largely for getting to and from work, about a six mile ride from home, and the occasional trail ride. If you want a fork that WILL smooth out the bumps in the road, will keep you from wearing your shoulders as earrings whence going over railroad crossings, or a nice leasurly ride down your favorite trail, this could be a good fork for smaller riders to consider. You just can't beat the price, that's for certain.

Andy "The Hornet"   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2001]
Strength:

Worth the prices paid for.Good enough for cross country ride.Better than a rigid fork.

Minimal travel,heavy amnd non adjustable.

The fork is good enough for beginners and worth the prices.Upgrade to a better fork when it is worn out.

Similar Products Used: None
tomek   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2001]
Strength:

cheep, easy to maintain, cheep cheep,
they have survived all the punishment I give them and still they perform the same so thats a plus.

bottom out veeeeery easily, not much travel, nothing to adjust except how much easier you want to bottom out

They've hit the botom line-time for a real upgrade

Similar Products Used: nothing to compare
Craig Barnstable   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2001]
Strength:

The best thing about these shocks is the day you get rid of them.

They bottom out riding off curbs, nuff said.

Spend the extra money and buy a bike with a better fork. Im getting Judy SL put on in 2 days and that day can't come fast enough. If your considering buying these by themselves, have your head examined.

Ben Wilson   [Jan 13, 2001]
Strength:

It Has none!!!!

They bottom out very easily, they have pratically no adjustment.

These forks suck!!!!
not worth the effort or the money....
buy some decent forks!!!!

Similar Products Used: None.First dual shock mountain bike
Knight Jedi   Weekend Warrior [May 15, 2001]
Strength:

If you want a fork that will bottom out when your 14 year old skinny little sister is riding it then by all means buy this fork

This is my first mtb after riding bmx for most of my life and this fork should never has been made let alone put on a $1800 AUS bike. I does nothing for my fairly good frame

Stay away from this fork. Spend the extra dosh or ride ya mum's bike
P.S. I'm not sorry to rst for this posting this fork makes me want to keep riding bmx. Shame on you

Similar Products Used: When I can finally afford a new set with the ozzy dollar the way it is I'll buy some
Mike Beeton   Weekend Warrior [Nov 01, 2001]
Strength:

You got to be kidding

I don`t have allnight, Lets just say if this is state of the art then I think we should all be wearing skins. I hope the boys at RST read these posts. Who the hell is running that company anyway? an accountant.

The bottom line is I have been riding and racing motocross bikes for 25 years and these forks are a joke. Well I guess they are better than no forks(but not by much)