RST 461 Front Shock

RST 461

Anthony griffiss   Downhiller [Apr 13, 1999]
Strength:

The forks are quite good at absorbing small and big bumps, very plush once you bed them in.

Too weak, the stanchion tubes need to be stronger also the brace.I managed to bend them within two weeks of purchase.

Well, im only 16, but still open for offers of sponsorship my website is http://www.griffiss.freeserve.co.uk/pro/ant.htm which will be running by June please keep looking. 'nyway - These forks are quite good for the money but I managed to bend them in 2 weeks and the company would not give me new stachion tubes so send me some for free please. Thankyou for offering. 461 DH's are good for small and big hit responses once bedded in and ideal for beginners. These forks should offer oil damping as opposed to air, and should a larger diameter stanchion tube to improve the strength of the forks. Other then that the forks are quite good for the price. I definately recommend them to DH beginners. (waffle) (only smarties have the answer)

Similar Products Used: Pace RC 150 Monster Fork, MOZO Pro 4.5, Pace RC 36 PRO EVO 2, RockShox Boxer 151, White Brothers UD150
Andrew   weekend warrior [Mar 23, 1998]

I got the 461 W/out the triple clamp in a sale at the end of summer 97.for the money they are the best forks I have seen, even without the discount I got on them. Stiffer than rock shox of the same value, and adjustable for springyness.. (preload??) I have given them a hard time, and have been known to service them ocaasionally, but they have never let me down, and have saved me from some embarrasing situations!..Iv value for money is important, look at RST in general, and for budget performance, check these out!

Cameron   weekend warrior [Mar 22, 1998]

These forks work well but they have a really horrible top-out clank that scares me. I don't know if this is because they aren't bedded in properly yet. They have no damping and this also doesn't help. Buy something a little more expensive with damping like a mozo ( I should have bought a pair ) if you want better performance but for the price these forks work well. They are very active on the small bumps and I haven't bottomed them out yet on big hits on their softest setting which is good because I'm not a light guy. (80 kgs of chaos)

James Walters   downhiller [Mar 11, 1998]

Well, I work in a cake shop on the weekends between school, so I'm not
exactly loaded. Combined with the fact that my parents think bikes are
toys, I needed something REAL cheap- and the RST 381L was the fork.
OK, they are pretty damn springy, especially after lubing them, but after a rigid bike, they ROCK. They work well enough to be rideable, but flex a bit. I only really picked this up after testing bikes at the local shop, but for
$230 Australian, they're pretty hard to go past. Recommended as a first fork.
However, I don't think RST designed them for downhill racing. As my 4 year
old steel hardtail with Shimano SIS was not made for downhilling either, I am not really surprised that my stem snapped after launching an eight foot drop
(I measured it!). Still, the forks are intact, and after I treated them like utter shite for 5 months and never did a bit of maintainance other than one
service, I give them 4 stars as a first fork, for the price and the Quality.
Oh yeah, they've got at least 3 times more adjustablity than my friend's
Judy T2. Just don't go riding a bomber, or you will realise why the bombers are 4 times more expensive!!! You gets what you pays for.

edder   weekend warrior [Jan 07, 1997]

This front suspension isn't as good as what lots of people think it is.... i've got mine recently and the travel was not as plush as i expect... in fact it was like a judy with maximum preload!!! and i've set it to the softest preload.... took the whole damn thing apart.... seems to me that the MCUs are creamish in colour... i've heard that 461's comes with blues and yellows.... mebbe i'd got a bad buy.... mebbe not... i dunno....one thing for sure... i'm gonna change the mcu's pretty soon and will post a review soon....

menno groeneveld   Weekend Warrior [May 30, 2001]
Strength:

een top vork, voor een lage prijs, een jaar geleden betaalde ik er nog geen 600 gulden voor, nu is de vork nog steeds in een top staat terwijl er al aardig mee tekeer is gegaan. zowel kleine als grote hobbels en stenen worden prima opgevangen. ook met forst is de vork nog opvallend soepel.
Dit in tegenstelling tot de Q21R die in de winter zo stijf was als een plank zodat ik uit nood maar een paar veren heb gemonteert.

het nadeel van deze vork vind ik dat er zeer weinig tunings onderdelen voor zijn en dat er op de rst site zelfs niets over de vork terug te vinden is.
Ook de bijgeleverde documentatie is zeer minimaal.

Good value for money lots and lots better than my old Q21R and the damn headshock dd50.

Similar Products Used: rockshox Quada 21 R.
Headshock DD50.
Scott Munro   Weekend Warrior [Jan 24, 2000]

Can anyone tell me how to serveice my 461's myself I'm having a bit of trouble as they are sticking at the top and bottoming out when on a loose setting,

Scott_IMunro@hotmail.com

nottifrog   Weekend Warrior [Jul 08, 1999]
Strength:

Wah haha! This fork is kinda fun if you're on a budget like me. Its quite stiff etc initially. But I got it seasoned now and its plush! Goes down the rocky stuff well, feels great. The colour appears to go well with my bike's colour (red with white bike logo). I had it on the softest setting since day one and the fork hasn't bottomed out yet. Can take the abuse that I give it. What else can I say?

didn't find any so far...

Its a great fork for ppl on a budget..gives u 4 inches too.

Similar Products Used: RST 261..was stock on my bike
Lewis Clarke   Cross-Country Rider [Mar 17, 1999]
Strength:

Price (~£100/$160)
Look pretty good.
Reasonable weight 3.4 lb. (1.57kg).
You can customise them rather than replace them.

RST's reputation seem to be cheapo forks. They may be, but I haven't found any other weakness.

They aren't worn in fully yet and if they don't loosen up I'll sort the internals out. They haven't bottomed out on anything. They do seem better on the heavy duty stuff though. I think most people tend to be biased by brand names, and rather than customise what they have, they buy far more expensive replacement forks for little advantage. After all the outside of most forks is essentially the same and changing the springs and MCU is far cheaper, and more likely to suit your regular terrain. It's a balance of price versus performance at the end of the day so it's up to you to spend appropriately, with this in mind I rate the RST 461's the best at their price.

Similar Products Used: Other forks I've tested recently that were all more expensive: Marzocchi Z-2 Bam's White Brother's XC70's Rockshox Judy XC's
Joe.g.   cross-country rider [Feb 10, 1999]

I have got somr RST 461 DH,THEY ARE REALY SOFT AND SMOOTH AND GIVE 4 INCHES OF PLUSH TRAVEL.IF YOU WAN'T RST AND YOUR BETWEEN 8 AND 14 STONE GET THESE(THERE GREAT FOR JUMPS.)(GOOD VALUE)