RST 381r Front Shock

RST 381r Front Shock

381r

[Jan 29, 2004]
Phil

Strength:

Cheap, strong, low maint, smooths out the bumps in a basic fashion, longer travel than other 381 models (except XL), much better thad rigid if you are not that good/hard core!! Paint seems to hold up well, keep on workin...

probably better options out there now for the money now, a starter shock - but you will move to another bike, not throw away!!

You have to keep the price range in mind when considering this shock - so it does a bloody good job. Its not a Marzocchi Z1, but it will do an honest job better than most at this price point.
It helps you confirm you want to do this stuff without the big $$$ commitment - once thats understood (ie wife sees you doing it enough) you can move on to another better item without having the $$$ issue up front. Its one of those shocks you do grow out of, but will not chuck away but move to the thrasher or family outing bike!!! or better still not wasting it, but "upgrading" the wifes ride!!
Got to be happy with that. Its no Marzocchi Z1 FR SL, but I have ridden heavy XC (im 200lbs so any bouncing is heavy!!) on this for a couple of years, done no maintenance, and its still fine. $$$ well spent!!

Manotou, rockshox, marz Z1 FR SL (not really in the same class)

[Jul 31, 2001]
hal jalikakik

Strength:

very smooth travel, plenty of travel, doesn't weigh that much

none yet

Okay, this whole weight issue has gotten ridiculous. This fork weighs about 4.6lbs. What difference does 1/2 a lb make when you're just out to enjoy the day? I look at it this way, if the fork weighs more, then I'm going to get a better workout.
This fork is awesome. For what I paid for it I won't give it up until it breaks. I weigh 180lbs and am 5'11". 80mm of travel is more than enough. If you bottom this fork out, or any 80mm travel fork, then YOU NEED STRONGER SPRINGS AND/OR ELASTOMERS! It's as simple as that. If you are looking for a good, sturdy, easy to maintain fork then start the hunt for this little gem.
To all those who have really expensive designer forks, I can probably still beat you around the trail. :-P

manitou magnum, manitou sx-r, various rock shox

[Jul 12, 2001]
Jeff D

Strength:

Doesnt bottom out, easy to maintain

None yet

It holds me and i weigh 150lbs and it holds my friend that weighs 200lbs so it is awesome. Buy it. It will last

Rock Shox Judy

[May 22, 2000]
Jim Horan

Strength:

it's endurance...Im really suprised this fork hasn't busted yet. Its on my first mountain bike (a 97 Giant Boulder), and Ive never had any problems with in while on the trail. After 3 years of experience with an RST product, my opinion and trust of the company has been greatly increased.

its heavy, and the build quality is poor...with plastic parts that really should be made of metal.

great, bombproof-for-a-beginner fork, especially for the price. RST is a better company than you would normally expect, even though Ive never seen an RST product on any pro rider's bike.

none yet. This is my first mountain bike.

[May 21, 2000]
Jack

Strength:

Lots of travel, very beefy and stands up under very harsh conditions.

The weight

This fork has many things to offer for a begging rider. The price is excellent too. It takes quit a bit to freeze it up, and its almost imbreakable. Plenty of travel for those many obstacles out their. Overall i give this bad boy 5 flamin chilis in each rated category. What can i say, it is a begginers best.

Rock Shox IndyC, and JudyXL

[Dec 26, 2000]
Craig

Strength:

ok, I may not have the 381r but the fork i have is very similar...I have the 381xl, that was an experimental fork back in 99 that had 4.5 inch of travel out of elastomers... The for is sooo nice.... I paid $200.00 canadian from my local bike shop.. I have not yet taken it apart to clean it... i have beat this fork through every thing from 5+feet drop onto flat cement, and mud where i could not see any color on my bike(i even needed all new cables and housings couz they were like perma stuck) the fork is truly amazing!!!and the cool thing is it works just as good as the day i bought it!!!

The springs never held their tension from hammerin 5+ foot drops... i need to get some mountain speed spring and then i will be set!!! I love this fork and would not trade it for anything!!! marzocchi, RS, anything of the same caliber would not even compare...

back in 99 that had 4.5 inch of travel out of elastomers... The for is sooo nice.... I paid $200.00 canadian from my local bike shop.. that was includin both taxes... man i beat the living hell out of this fork EVERY DAY!!! It sux it up, no prob... it is wicked over small bumps and it sucks up 5+ foot drops... the fork bottoms hardcore at 5+ feet but it still eats it all up!!! I have not broken it yet and i seriously don't think i will... This fork is crazy. it has noo flex whatsoever!!! this fork is built like a tank, the only bad thing i have to say is that it is wayy too soft from the factory... I give this fork 5 flamin chilis becuz there is not an option for 10 chilis and it eats everything i feed to it!!! I have not had to perfom ANY knid of maintenance on it and it was super Cheap!!! I dare you to try and find a better fork for the money!!!

RS Judy XL, RST 381XE(another quality fork)

[Dec 01, 2000]
JoeyZ

Strength:

inexpensive,light,nice looking,

ups ground shipping,
broke my seal when installing,couldn't get the race off my old fork!

get them,the are good on stairs and curbs!
works good offroad too,
I don't do much offroad HEAVY riding, but they sure take the blow out of curbs and stairs!

i don't know the name,stock kept topping out,so? got new ones

[Nov 11, 2000]
Mark Hemming

Strength:

Easy to maintain
Cheap
Stiff

Not much travel
Not very plush

I've never bottomed it, not even after flying over 3 metres on a jump. It's easy to service, and quite cheap. It's not that plush or smooth but what do you expect for the money? Good for riders on a budget, but not anyone else.

[Nov 03, 2000]
Jon Ranger

Strength:

Super look, fanctionable, fantastic value

weight

SUPER FORK

RS SL, RS Sid.

[Oct 29, 2000]
Dawes Bike

Strength:

Considering what the other forks cost here in Cyprus its cheap. Great looks (older version yellow-blue stickers)

Weight (But I am not a weight freak)

It is a great fork for the money, easy to service, looks great and it does the job. I would recommnd it to anybody that is short of money and wants a really good fork. Five chilis of course.

RST 281, RS Jet, Manitou Spider R