RockShox SID XC 99 Front Shock

SID XC 99

Rock Shox '99 SID XC

judge dredd   [Aug 17, 2012]
Strength:

very light, plush, adjustable because of negative air chamber
works perfect

little flexy but you can get used to it

I drove this fork for few days and it changed my bike. Front end of bike was very maneuverable. Tried it at the dirt fireroad and I was reborn.
I'm buying new SID when i get the money

Thomas   Weekend Warrior [Mar 07, 2002]
Strength:

Light, Plush when you first buy it!

Requires Maintinence, and it died!

I was really happy with it when I first bought it. For me the air was not a problem but I am light only 140 lbs. After a year it wasn't as plush as it had been. 6 monts later it starting clicking. I changed the oil and nothing. I brough it to the shop and they fixed it, I don't remember what was wrong. It had $#%#@ loads of stiction then. It started to loosen up and then 8 months later it is clicking again. WTF!!!!! I'm done with this crap and getting a Duke SL, if this one dies Rock Shox is out!!!

Halvard Avdem   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2002]
Strength:

Light, plush,easy adjustments.

Flexy, some minor problems with the internals, the damper rod shaft broke during reassembly,resulted in a 150$ repair. The rebound/compression adjuster has never really worked. valves keep backing out.

Great fork for light riders NOT doing six feet drops.Easy to adjust. Not suitable with disc brakes. To flexy.

Similar Products Used: Xvert e, Sid XC 00, Sid 100, Psylo, Z1, and many more
Scott Clements   Racer [Sep 09, 2001]
Strength:

These forks are really light, (around the 2.9 3.0 pound mark). They have a really soft feel on the desents, and a stiff air feel on the climbs. Air forks rule!!! The rebound and compression knob works for me. Not to a great extent, but I noticed it. Looks the goods!~

A little flexy, quite obvious actually. R+C Air cartridge needs fixing, but they are 3rd hand, and almost 4 years old. Apart from that, they are good.

These forks are good for the weekend thrasher, as well as the hard core XC racer. A very light way out, with a good 80mm of super sweet travel. I'm quite light, about 60 kgs, and they dont even come close to using their full travel. So I don't know what all you fat $%^&(sorri, no offence) are doing, but they still shouldn't bottom out!!!~

Similar Products Used: Not sure. Haven't had many to compare to, but I would say 2000 SID SL, and RACE, (cos of the crown).
Guido   [Sep 05, 2001]
Strength:

Nice ride

Leaks all the time and does not hold air. After a ride needs air and if the ride is rocky, always bottoming out. The forks tend to be a bit whippy on hard rides.

FOr my weight an riding style, I would not recommend this shock. I am about 240 lbs loaded, and ride pretty hard and fast. I have switched to a coil spring shock which is much better.

The shock is probabaly really good for someone under 180 lgs,

Similar Products Used: Only on XC motor bikes, went to inverted style, the best.
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2001]
Strength:

Light, adjustable, easy to get the settings just right, rebound/compression adjustment works. C3 air cartridge.

A little flexy, will lose air over time (6-8 months).

This has been a great fork for me. I've got a couple years of riding on it and I raced it yesterday through some gnarly tree-rut-washout sections. It handled everything without a problem. I only weigh 165 - so about 175 with gear and fully loaded Camelbak. I keep both chambers at 70 psi. This keeps the fork stiff. A big plus as my computer MXS was 49 mph for the downhill section of the race which had a few water-cuts across it. I've never set it for a "plush" (aka - spongey) ride, but for what I want, it's been a great fork!

Similar Products Used: Z2 BAM, Judy Race
Paul   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2001]
Strength:

Extremely Plush. Very adjustable. Light weight.

Too Fragile. Damping adjuster doesn't seem to work.

These forks started out really well. Unfortunately after about 4 weeks of moderate XC work they failed. I am 95 kg and was running the correct air pressure for my weight. Almost unbelievably the cartridge was bent and most of the seals were damaged. The local Rock Shox agent fixed them promptly and under warranty but they shouldn't have failed so quickly in the first place. Nice forks but maybe too fragile.

Paul   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2001]
Strength:

Plush action, very adjustable

Fragile (VERY!), damping adjuster seems to have no effect

These forks failed after only 4 weeks of light XC use. I didn't abuse them in any way and had the air pressure set correctly for my weight (95kg). The cartridge was bent and almost all the seals needed replacement. Thankfully it was all covered under warranty. These are nice forks but I cannot recommend something that is this fragile.

michel gerber   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2000]
Strength:

excellent fork, light but rigid, perfect behaviour on trail once the right setup is found

setup not all that easy to find (trial and error)

The 1999 sid xc is probabely the best sid produced so far. although a little heavier than the sid race (and identical to the 2000 sid sl!!) its dual air technology offers a wide range of possible setups for racers as well as for ambitious (and weahlty!) recreation driver with some ambitions. the product has now been working for 15 month and 2'500 miles on my bike in all possible wheater conditions and trails with absolutely no failure. other than the not so valet-friendly sticker price i do not see any downs. therefore two thumbs up.

Similar Products Used: no air fork but marzocchis z1 bam which to me is the perfect fork on a full suspension bike but is too heavy
Rider X   Racer [Dec 30, 1999]
Strength:

Weight, Having A SID

Everything. They are so flexy, you can't ride anything but a groomed firetrail that is kept up every day. Ride height is so high, your geometry is messed up

Do Not Buy This Piece of Crap. You can't ride anything but wide open strait groomed fireroads. Your bike will have dual slalom geometry from the gigantic ride height. You will turn, and the wheel follows a couple minutes later. Good for Pro XC racing, otherwise it sucks and takes to much maitenence